Someone Please Stop Me! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-06-2011, 01:09 AM   #1

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Someone Please Stop Me!

I have the opportunity to be payed to drive to Estevan, SK, a mere 500km from this:
Trillium trailer for sale - Manitoba Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Manitoba Canada.

A sweeter unit there never was!

Judging by the square tube frame, it is a later unit. The shell looks.....ok? I don't see any show stoppers. My wife really likes that it has the Trillium logo on both sides. If I bought it I would have to put a fridge in like the ones that Trillium Outback keeps trying to sell me.
Nova Kool, refrigerators, freezers, Marine, RV, Truck

I will be bringing wheels, wire, lights and a connector. If it doesn't look like it will fall off the frame, I think I will make an offer. It has been for sale for a long time.

What should I offer?
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: David Tilston... "Take two aspirins and call me in the morning". I think you have the "Fiberglass Flu".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 07:51 AM   #3

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
At $950.00 GO FOR IT.
Click image for larger version

Name:	541024h_20.jpeg
Views:	32
Size:	92.9 KB
ID:	41732
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 08:54 AM   #4

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin K View Post
At $950.00 GO FOR IT.
That is not the advice I was looking for! The asking price is $950. I could just buy it for that. I am looking for a price that my wife and, hopefully the seller, would go for.

There is/was a Trillium 4500 with a factory front bathroom for $2500 near Chicago. If I could get the time off work, I would be there!
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...0-a-49356.html

This unit does not have seats on the dinette, or something as basic as any kitchen cabinets.

Once again, my proximity to the factory in Calgary at least gives me a source for the required furniture. They only build the 13' units.

Even if I got it free, I will not likely save much money over buying one in reasonable shape. My current Trillium 4500, which I am NOT selling, came to me in very good shape. Not that I am complaining.

I really should just walk away, but I want a project. If I could buy a 5500 like the one Al Stansell got, that would be perfect.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:27 AM   #5

Name: David
Trailer: 16 foot Scamp
Arizona
My projects rarely save money. The way I do things never pencils out, but if you want the project that's a good buy. Lots of people save all their reciepts on projects. That way they know exactly what they have spent. I conveniently lose all mine . I'd rather not know and just enjoy what I've done.

David
DavidSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:21 AM   #6

Name: kootenai girl
Trailer: 1976 Trillium 1300
British Columbia
I don't think I would pay more than $500 for it as you really are just getting a shell.
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:50 AM   #7

Name: Fred
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500
Washington
Registry
The interior fiberglass "furniture" has been gutted. Also the interior ensolite is mostly gone.
Definitely lots of work to be had there. $500 sounds about right.

--Fred and Natalie
1978 Trillium 4500 "Bernerwagon"
freddo411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 Casita Freedom Deluxe 17 ft
Well, if you really want the trailer, I guess you should make an offer that doesn't insult the seller. If it was me, I'd make a first offer around $550. I'm not sure how it works in the Great White North, but I've found that "project" trailers rarely have titles. So if you're going to have to go through gyrations trying to register the thing, I'd adjust the offer accordingly.
Terry G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #9

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
Well, if you really want the trailer, I guess you should make an offer that doesn't insult the seller. If it was me, I'd make a first offer around $550. I'm not sure how it works in the Great White North, but I've found that "project" trailers rarely have titles. So if you're going to have to go through gyrations trying to register the thing, I'd adjust the offer accordingly.
In the add he says "no tod". What does that mean?
Old 12-06-2011, 12:28 PM   #10

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry G View Post
In Canada, a "title" system is not used for vehicles. Ownership is "proven" by the vehicle registration and liens are only enforceable if they are registered. A quick on-line search of a lien database confirms if there are any such outstanding. On a $500.00 unit, I likely wouldn't bother searching it as it is unlikely that anyone would have given any registered loans against such a low-value chattel.

If there is no registration for it, a search of "a last registered owner" can be done by local motor vehicle authorities and ownership traced. Then you send a double-registered letter to the last owner of record, and either obtain a signed-off sale document or, if the previous owner of record cannot be located (The registered letter comes back to you) a new registration can be issued to you, based upon your presenting the UNOPENED proof that you sent the request to the last registered owner.

(I've had to do this for several cars that I have acquired as either parts cars or for restoration/hotrodding. In my yard there are currently 3 cars and a motorcycle that have all required me to do that)

Is it a "bullet proof" system? No, but neither is a Title system as I have come across several cars for sale in the US that have "titles" for cars that are not really a title for THAT specific car. The mere fact that folks can sell a title sans having a car actually attached to it speaks volumes....
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita
Send a message via Yahoo to Johnny B
You asked someone to please stop you. ok then, stop.
Johnny B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:10 PM   #12

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alf S. View Post
Hi: David Tilston... "Take two aspirins and call me in the morning". I think you have the "Fiberglass Flu".
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Yup! I definitely have caught a bug.

Since my wife still supports my current obsession, I blame her. She likes the Trillium logo. Something about Celtic knots. This unit has two of them in the fiberglass. I just know what arguments to use. These obsessions seem to last about 12 to 18 months for me. Just enough time to do a good job. I doubt I would ever finish.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:20 PM   #13

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up I agree with David

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSo View Post
Lots of people save all their receipts on projects. That way they know exactly what they have spent. I conveniently lose all mine . I'd rather not know and just enjoy what I've done.

David
After buying my gutted out Compact Jr. for $900 almost 10 years ago, I saved the receipts until they totaled $4000, and I wasn't done with it. So I banished my conscience and shredded the receipts. I feel better NOT knowing.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:58 PM   #14

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
That's right, just rebuild it the way you want it and enjoy, If I kept track of it all I would proubly just die, I rebuilt a car for show, kept all the receipts still have them, never added them up, afraid to! still have the car.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 03:04 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Listen to me

STOP! ˇALTO!

Unless you have either lots of time and money to pour into this thing or are skilled with fiberglass.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #16

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
OK To have an uncontrolled itchy trigger finger is one thing but to not take responsibility and blame your spouse is entirely another.

Brilliant in a sense!

Buy the thing and get it over with you are not kidding anyone here least of all me.

I have 3 in my Driveway right now and it is not the first time and I still look every day!
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 AM   #17

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Oh and Fred didn't you recently "Re Purchase" the same trailer?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:00 AM   #18

Trailer: 2008 13 ft Scamp
$500 sounds like a good starting point. The overall cost of a project should fall short of the enjoyment and satisfaction. Of course this is relative, high end finishes require high end prices which produce high end results. I for one prefer to have something to do instead of something to watch on TV so I'm biased.

But as you requested... stop thinking about it and just do it. Maybe that's not what you had in mind but it's how I see it.

-John
John Fazio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:57 AM   #19

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
Oh and Fred didn't you recently "Re Purchase" the same trailer?
Yes he did, bless his heart.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:16 PM   #20

Trailer: (fiberglass)
go for it if you want it.

You never know about tomorrow. If you want it, go get it and enjoy it.
ScottG is offline   Reply With Quote