Soon to jump into the omelet - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-18-2009, 03:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
We will be picking up our "new" 1983 Burrito next Sunday in Iowa. Although we've been looking for a Loooong time (went to Sturgis with our old Brit bike and fell in love with an egg...go figure!) this is our first egg. We're probably crazy, but will go from Iowa to Cincinnati to see the family, then on to Madison WI, before heading back to Colo. Any words of wisdom for the newbees before we head out? I love this site and am thrilled to finally be a part of it.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Susi, Make sure to check out the bearings and when they were last packed before you head on such a long journey. Should if they haven't been done in the last year get those packed before putting on too many miles. Hopefully other Burro owners will be able to give you more suggestions of what to check out before you head out. Best of Luck! Congrats! Enjoy!

Ok, what part of N, Colorado are you in? Were in Greeley.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Congratulations! A little (I assume Burrito means a 13') Burro is a great place to start. We started there 12 years ago and today said good-bye to 'our' little '87 Burro as it heads to Idaho under the loving care of new owners. We were naive 12 years ago and thought we had checked out everything (but knew nothing and there was no forum back then!) but once home found it had a leak around the vent which got in between the walls! We had to do a lot of work on it. I highly recommend you print and take with you the buyers check list from the forum here. Be sure to look (and smell!) into cubby holes, unzip the cushions and look at the foam, etc. etc. The check list is a good guide and even if you find things not perfect, it doesn't mean you would necessarily change your mind, but it could change the price and you will know what you are buying and what work you will need to do. We were very up front with our buyers about the history of the trailer, what we did, what needed doing, etc. Hopefully your seller will share all that with you too.

Our Burro came with an original brochure (which I have scanned and need to post here on the forum) and schematics for the electrical & water systems, etc. It helps, but the Sac City Burros are simple and easy to care for. I'm sure the owners will go over all the ends and outs of how things work.

Enjoy! Doubled walled Burros are wonderful eggs and you will love the light weight and light insides!

Penney

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2009, 04:16 PM   #4

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
Check the frame where the front hitch goes under the trailer. See if it has been modified and welded with angle iron. This is a weak point for Burros. If it has been strengthened you will probably be alright. But crawl under with a strong flashlight and check out the whole frame.
Other than that enjoy camping! Burro's are great.

Old 04-18-2009, 11:52 PM   #5

Trailer: Burro 13 ft
Hello to all, and thank you for your suggestions.
We be taking the check list with us just to know what we're getting in to. Hopefully we can get the wheel bearings checked in town before we take off. Or at least have it done in Cincy as we will be there the better part of a week. But that all may be on hold as Colorado wants to do a vin check with an out of state title and will only give us a 3 day tag. We are going to call Iowa on Monday and see what they say, but we may just have to pick it up on the way back.

And Robin, we live in Fort Collins.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:24 AM   #6

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
Susie the different Burros have different good and not so good aspects, though in general they are all good. I remember learning from Roger H. here on the forum about the framing of the Burros and I think, though I don't remember, the older ones had the better frames, which by the way is something that can be replaced. The three folks I have learned the most from about Burros here is Per W., Roger H and Gina D. You can do a search under "members" if you want to contact any of them with questions, or do a topic with "Burro" in the title and you will draw them in!

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 04:21 AM   #7

Trailer: 82 Burro 13 ft
i'm in Madison, WI., if you wanna stop by & show off your new trailer... i have my burro project on hold, as i have no job & no $$ to buy the supplies to restore mine, right now... but i have the "shell" in my backyard, if you wanna see a worst-case-scenario...
send me a pm if you're interested...
Old 04-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #8

Susi, Howdy Neighbor!

Have you heard about the South Dakota rally in Sept? PamH from Wy is setting it up at Hart Ranch.

I am trying to put together a rally here, but can't find a place to hold it. Still looking at a few options. Would love to hold it at Golden Gate State Park but reservations are running strong for this summer.

Hope all of the title stuff works out, so you can enjoy your vacation. I know when we bought ours, I had to have it weighted and inspected before I could even get a title. Pain in the rear. FYI, empty it out of everything before you have it weighted. Your registration price, has to do with the weight of the darn thing. So take the propane tanks off, empty the water tank etc. Good Luck!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:10 AM   #9

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 28' Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Oak Park, IL
Send a message via Yahoo to Kevin A
We truly enjoyed our 13' Burro when we had it. Be sure to check the tires when you pick up your new Burrito. Even tires that look good can have weak spots from sitting in one place for a long time in storage. We blew a tire on our trailer on the way back from our first camping trip and I promptly bought TWO new trailer tires. Unless they are really recent, you might even consider buying the tires ahead of time and having them ready to install when you pick it up or soon after. Have fun!
Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #10

Name: E. Keith
Trailer: None at the moment :-(
Colorado

We are back with another Casita, as of a couple weeks ago, and would be interested in a little get-together in Colorado some time. We live in Aurora, CO. There used to be a few people up in the Loveland, Mead area with Casitas but I haven't heard from them in a long time. We will be gone for a couple of weeks mid-May to early June, but plan to be around most of the summer after that. Of course, we'll be doing some little trips of our own too.

I thnk you should take at least an overnight trip somewhere real close to home before you leave. That way you can get a lot better idea of what you need and don't need before heading out. Of course the bearings, electrical and tires are of paramount importance. Most other stuff you can deal with on the road.

You do know about free overnighting in most Wal Mart parking lots don't you?

I just heard about the September rally in S. Dakota yesterday and I'd like to go to it as well.

Welcome and good luck.

Keith
Old 04-19-2009, 11:14 AM   #11

I agree with Kevin on the tires. I had a blow out on a fairly new tire in the middle of no-where Wy. Next morning the tire place thought I only needed one tire, cause the other one is newer. I was like so was the one that blew out and 9:30 at night. Put new all the way around. It's just worth it! Robin
Old 04-19-2009, 02:27 PM   #12

Name: Rachel
Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
Susi,

I used a "trip permit" to bring my trailer home (like your three-day tag), and mistakenly thought that I only had three days from purchasing the tag. Because of this, I waited to get the tag until I was at the seller's house, and it was awkward (they had no printer, etc.).

When I bought a second trailer (later sold), I realized that you can buy the permit in advance and that it only starts "counting" against the three days on the date that the bill-of-sale or title is signed and you buy the trailer (and presumably start on your way home).

I'm not in Colorado, so don't take this as gospel, but it might be something to check that would make your planning easier.

Raya