South Carolina flooding - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2015, 03:43 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
South Carolina flooding

We, here in New Brunswick, have been flooded severely by Mother Nature 4 times in the past 19 months. Roads have washed out, some multiple times, homes ravaged by floodwaters, property damage totalling many millions of dollars.....

...so I commiserate sincerely with the people who are experiencing the incredible flooding in the low country of South Carolina, an area we know and love.

Lives lost that cannot be replaced---property is just "stuff"-- and a massive amount of cleanup still to come.

Keep them in your thoughts and prayers.
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
We are headed south tomorrow through SC (I-95) tomorrow. I guess we will have to detour through Columbia SC. There was a lot of info on the closure of I-95 yesterday but not many updates today. I guess they have their hands full down there.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 07:19 AM   #3

Name: Bill
Trailer: Oliver
North Carolina
Eddie,

Be careful! As of 6pm last night rain was still falling in that area. It is supposed to be clear today, but as I type this some 2.5 hours north of Columbia it is very cloudy. I didn't hear about I95 yesterday but on Sunday it was basically closed from Charleston to Savannah. Good luck!

Topgun
topgun2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #4

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Here's a web site with SC road conditions/closures. Getting Around in SC
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:33 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

Thank you for the SC information. We'll be leaving sgortly and will have to select a different route for our trip to FL. Thanks for posting.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
North Carolina too

We left over a week ago for the Outer Banks. We got as far as Pennsylvania. Looking at the weather we decided to turn around. The next day the ferries stopped running. The sound is too high for them to dock. The main highway has been over washed in several areas and the towns are flooded. While in the grocery store yesterday I tried to imagine what it would be like with a foot of water. Those poor people. Picture are from the local Ocracoke paper. Raz
Attached Thumbnails
image-1148171217.jpg   image-2199285881.jpg  

image-2882228203.jpg   image-1863852248.jpg  

image-2531340102.jpg  
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 06:43 AM   #7

Name: Jerry
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
South Carolina
Thanks for kind thoughts!

I thought a little perspective might be in order regarding the SC flooding. I live within 1/2 mile of the highest recorded rainfall, almost 27 inches and by in large things are fine.

This is not to say that those directly affected, where there might have been loss of life or damage to property aren't in our thoughts and prayers because they are and many practical acts of kindness are evident everywhere. As is most often seen in these disasters, those least capable of affording these losses are the ones most directly impacted.

But as is the case, so many of the reports you might be seeing are exaggerated and make the situation look much worse than it is. Most commercial operations have not been affected, most recreational areas are only nominally impacted.

We are a pretty resilient bunch down here in the Lowcountry and I think you will see that our recovery will be quick and without all the drama that is often seen in more metropolitan areas. Best advise- if you were planning on visiting, don't changes your plans, call and see if the area is open and what impacts, if any, exist.

If you feel you would like to contribute financially you can contact me for some possibilities regarding non-profits that are actively engaged in the recovery efforts in very practical ways.

Remember, October and November are two of the most beautiful months in SC.
Jerrymcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 06:41 AM   #8

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Jerry----how refreshing to read that things may not quite be as devastating as reported!

It is such a beautiful area, the low country, and it really DOES look on TV that the damages were widespread and severe. I checked online and (that day) Myrtle Beach SP was closed due to the storm, yet Huntington Beach SP and Hunting Island SP weren't...which, frankly, surprised me!

We plan on heading that way in December. Instead of considering an alternative route, we may make a deliberate routing to that area.

Thanks
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote