South Carolina, Georgia coast camping recommendations? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-09-2014, 01:43 PM   #15

Name: Ray
Trailer: 21' Escape - former owner of 17' "other brand."
Florida
Registry
Oh, and since you mentioned that you had an interest in historical sites, near Hunting Island is Fort Fremont, (http://www.sciway.net/hist/fort-frem...-island.html); the Penn Center school, ("...one of the country's first schools for freed slaves. It is one of the most significant African American historical and cultural institutions in existence today." http://www.penncenter.com/); and, because it fell into Union hands very early in the Civil War, Beaufort and the surrounding area is full of gorgeous antebellum houses - it escaped much of the devastation that destroyed many of the old mansions in other Southern cities such as Charleston.

Old 12-09-2014, 02:09 PM   #16

Name: bob
Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Jekyll Island has a restored historic district dating back to the late 1800's when it was the Jekyll Island Club with members like Crane and Rockefeller and other big money people of that time period. The first transcontinental phone call was made from Jekyll and the meeting to set up the Federal Reserve banking system was here too. Mostly abandoned during WW2 it was purchased by the State of Georgia in the 50's. There are also ruins dating back to the 1700's and a couple cannon mounts from the Spanish American war. And best of all it's somewhat remote and quiet during the winter. A little busier during holiday times, not for everyone, but we like it here. Seven miles of beach with few people on it. There is a fee to get on the island via the causeway. I suggest no one come here, you probably won't like it.

Old 12-11-2014, 09:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 1984 u-haul ct13; 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Saw on the news today there were a couple shootings near Hunting Island campground. At a restaurant on Lady's Island and St Helena island and a chase and more shooting on the Sea Island Parkway which is the road to Hunting Island. Kind of surprising for that area I thought.
Old 12-11-2014, 11:47 PM   #18

Rivers End near Savannah GA I hear is really nice. We plan on making our way down there soon.

Ben Moffett
Greenville SC
Old 12-12-2014, 05:58 AM   #19

Name: theresa
Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
New Brunswick
Registry
At Myrtle Beach State Park the TV reception isn't a big deal for us, Bob, as we don't have a television. The beach is gorgeous. As to the "disney" atmosphere, alot of that kitschiness has diminished with the removal of the (main) beach amusement park. We just like the park itself.

The Charleston area is very nice but we did enjoy the smaller town of Beaufort more.
Old 12-12-2014, 06:23 AM   #20

Name: Tab
Trailer: ParkLiner
Tennessee
Thanks for all of the replies! I think we're going to go to New Orleans for something different. We'll be close to the good food and can do plenty of walking tour type stuff. The French Quarter RV resort looks like basically a parking lot with full hookups and a common area with amenities. I'd rather be camping in the Rocky Mountains or North Carolina mountains but will have to wait a few months for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-12-2014, 07:20 AM   #21

New York
We've been to Rivers End a few times, only for it's convenience to Savannah. It does have cable TV. Otherwise in my opinion it's kind of a hodge podge of a campground, some halfway decent sites, some real close, and some right along the street. Short walk to the beach and lighthouse. Let us know what you think Ben.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:05 AM   #22

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theresa p View Post
At Myrtle Beach State Park the TV reception isn't a big deal for us, Bob, as we don't have a television. The beach is gorgeous. As to the "disney" atmosphere, alot of that kitschiness has diminished with the removal of the (main) beach amusement park. We just like the park itself.

The Charleston area is very nice but we did enjoy the smaller town of Beaufort more.
Hi: theresa p...We found Myrtle Beach St. Pk. an oasis of green between the condo's along the beach. Downtown was a bit "Disneysque", but we really enjoyed the state park. We've stayed there 3 times now. Last time there we found some fiberglass forum friends to have a game of cards with!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030266.jpg   P1030267.jpg  

P1030273.jpg  
Old 12-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #23

Name: Ron
Trailer: Eggless for now.
Formerly NH, now full timing
Registry
Hey Alf,
That looks like my old EggCamper and Bill's Casita in the background of the second photo. Do you remember playing Hand & Foot with us?

I like Myrtle Beach SP. It has a wonderful beach. It can be a bit noisy though when the Air National Guard is practicing "touch and goes" at the nearby airport. Huntington Beach SP, about 15 miles south of Myrtle is also very nice, but can be difficult to get in.

James Island, near Charleston, SC, is a county park, very nice. Oops, Norm, I see you've mentioned that one while I was editing.

Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah is nice. They have septic at many of the sites and Georgia grants senior discounts to out of staters.

Ron
Old 12-13-2014, 06:20 AM   #24

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Tab,

It sounds as though you've decided on New Orleans, certainly a fine place to visit. My choice would be Charleston, my favorite walk around city. If you go there in the Nov. to Dec. time frame the James Island light display is worth the trip.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2014, 07:09 AM   #25

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron F View Post
Hey Alf,
That looks like my old EggCamper and Bill's Casita in the background of the second photo. Do you remember playing Hand & Foot with us?

I like Myrtle Beach SP. It has a wonderful beach. It can be a bit noisy though when the Air National Guard is practicing "touch and goes" at the nearby airport. Huntington Beach SP, about 15 miles south of Myrtle is also very nice, but can be difficult to get in.

James Island, near Charleston, SC, is a county park, very nice. Oops, Norm, I see you've mentioned that one while I was editing.

Skidaway Island State Park near Savannah is nice. They have septic at many of the sites and Georgia grants senior discounts to out of staters.

Ron
Hi: Ron F... Sure do remember "Hand and foot". I'm still sorry about ruining your dinner giving you the grand tour of our 5.0. Hope the pizza was ok? LoL
At least the airport suspends flights at night!!!
Here's a pic of the new 5.0TA
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030738.jpg  

Tags
eco