Southern Californian's - I need your help! - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 PM   #15
Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Originally Posted by Adrian W View Post
So [h]as anyone actually driven the Big Sur highway pulling a trailer?
No, not with a trailer, but we have driven it in a C-class MotorHome towing a Geo Metro with a 17' canoe strapped on top of the Geo. But not in November, but there are a lot of turns, some maybe close to haippin, and it is steep at times and there are plenty of cliffs and bluffs. But with an egg, I do not believe it would be too hard of a drive. Can not commit on fog and storms. With landslides, it would not matter what you were driving. If it is storming, do not go, I would believe would be the safe thing to do.

As for now thinking we should try to cut over, start at Monterey Bay and do the central/south coast on way down, not way back, maybe both.
It would be somewhat easier for pulling over to view the vistas at turn outs if southbound on the hwy.
Another possibility is on route down: cut over to Monterey Bay and Carmel, drive south to Big Sur. Then cut back over to Interstate 5.

On route back take the coast as far north as Cambria. Cut back to 5 and continue on home.

We have explored the coastline from Monterey Bay to Oregon. But you can decide if you have a specific area you may want to cut back over to see (i.e. Half Moon Bay, Santa Cruz, Eureka, etc.). After a time, curves a head of you, Ocean beside you, and cliffs on the other side become tedious.)

I'm sure you will have a terrific time.

'92 Bigfoot 19' | '07 Chevy Tahoe
Jane P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Once you hit Oregon on your way back make sure you stop at Nehalem Bay State Park its one of my favs. Its beside the funky little surf town of Manzanita - yup you can shop. :-) At the park if you take a spot on the back ocean side its just a very short walk over the dune to the beach. There is also a 9 hole golf couse beside it that is cheap and fun to play.

If your serious about shopping then stop in for a night or two at Champoeg State park in Oregon (another of my favs) and you can hit the Woodburn outlet shopping before leaving tax free Oregon. Woodburn (which is very much like the Seattle outlet center) is only about a 15 min drive from Champoeg.

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote