speaking of transmissions - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2018, 04:39 PM   #1

Name: bob
Trailer: Was A-Liner now 13f Scamp
Missouri
speaking of transmissions

our 2015 ford edge eco has paddle shifting. I run without o/d so I am in sport mod is letting the transmission handle it own shifting the best way. using the paddle sorts of winds the motor up because I from time to time don't watch closely.

I would rather let the auto handle it

what do you all think?

thanks

bob
k0wtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 05:42 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
In flat areas I generally allow the overdrive to kick in. In hilly/mountains, if the shifting is too frequent then I don't.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
We don’t have the Ford Edge but do have a shiftable transmission. I do not like to hear the transmission hunting so I try to lock it in uphill and always lock it in downhill in the mountains. Easy on those tow vehicle brakes, you don’t want them hot if you really need them. YMMV and Donna is right.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2018, 08:32 PM   #4

Name: Tony
Trailer: Boler
BC
If it is cycling between ranges, rapidly on a hill, shift it down a notch, otherwise let the transmission do it's thing.
Old 04-22-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

Missouri
transmission

I lock out o/d period our transmission has no way to check fluid levals and there is no way to check condition of fluid along with heat.

so I have chosen when tugging to keep it out of o/d the transmission shifts fine under load just stays out of o/d I was just wondering. it does no hunting and pecking just shifts normally!

our 13f scamper only goes at 1k not much weight but I don't think the car likes o/d tugging at all!

bob
Old 04-23-2018, 05:18 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k0wtz View Post
I lock out o/d period our transmission has no way to check fluid levals and there is no way to check condition of fluid along with heat.

so I have chosen when tugging to keep it out of o/d the transmission shifts fine under load just stays out of o/d I was just wondering. it does no hunting and pecking just shifts normally!

our 13f scamper only goes at 1k not much weight but I don't think the car likes o/d tugging at all!

bob
If you do this all the time then you are limiting a gear for the tranny to select even when it is appropriate and an advantage.

Around flat areas there is no reason to limit this unless the tranny is constantly hunting,if not why lock it out?

Going down big hills it can be really helpful to let the engine provide braking to help keep trailer speed under control .

It is really climbing bigger hills where I find it most useful overall but the more I get to know my car the better I can decide how to drive it obviously too.

You may also be revving the motor higher than needed and that is not always preferred either.

I have an add on gauge tool in each car that I tow with that can tell me the transmission temp ad I can see what it is doing and decide accordingly and yes I can move 1 gauge between cars too.

Does that Edge have the 2 liter motor?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 07:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I’ve had paddle shifting on the steering wheel for about 8 years. I’ve no use for it. The Flex with the Ecoboost and 20” tires and slightly lowered ride height is surprisingly sporty. But trying to drive sporty with the paddle shifter on the steering wheel is practically impossible as the right side paddle is “shift up”and the left side paddle is “downshift” and if you’re doing any steering (lane changes, turns, etc.) you lose track of which paddle is under your fingers at the moment. Some shift-it-yourself cars have a sort of push/pull on the automatic gearshift that I find more intuitive. Quick, light pull back to up shift, quick light push forward to shift down. You are taking one hand off the wheel but owners of standard transmission sport cars have long been used to this.

My average towing day (not counting extended trips with more than one day of travel each way) is probably 5.5 to 6 hours with gas stops and lunch or about 350 miles. I’ve had plenty of time to try out different schemes of locking out O/D. O/D makes about a 700 RPM difference at 60-65 mph on my tow. The tow output variables I track are fuel economy and transmission fluid temperature. The Reader’s Digest conclusion is, for my tow, trailer, geography and driving style there is no statistical difference that I can determine either way. I have seen differences, but I can attribute them to ambient temperature, or upwind/downwind days, or uphill vs downhill trips.

A less tangible observation is that I always arrive feeling more tired/keyed up when locked out of O/D due to hours of listening to louder/faster engine ambient noise.

So, in the end, unless I’m running some new experiment I’m in O/D unless I’m in in hilly terrain.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 08:05 AM   #8

Missouri
steve

steve my conclusions now exactly

bob
Old 04-23-2018, 09:12 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
steve my conclusions now exactly

bob
I thought you said you do not run in overdrive while towing?
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 09:40 AM   #10

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
our 2015 ford edge eco has paddle shifting. I run without o/d so I am in sport mod is letting the transmission handle it own shifting the best way. using the paddle sorts of winds the motor up because I from time to time don't watch closely.

I would rather let the auto handle it

what do you all think?

thanks

bob
This is not your father's 700R4.
You can let the trans decide what gear is needed.
Sport mode does have a different shift strategy and engine braking
On slick surfaces you can choose to use 2nd gear from a stop.
Some rolling hills can justify manual shift to 5th.
But Ford says that it is best to just use drive for most driving and towing within the rating.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2018, 11:00 AM   #11

Missouri
correct

Floyd you are correct engine braking is important to me as our 13f scamper has no brakes I am not going to put brakes on it so the paddle shifting fills a need. I am able to use the transmission to slow the rig down.

my theory is get into the truck lanes let the fast drivers in as I turtle along with the big boys. I am no rush and usualy catch the speed drivers at he bottom of the mountain.

sort of interesting but I am disappointed I have no dip stick for checking temps and condition of the transmission fluids!

bob