Speaking to the choir - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 02-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Speaking to the choir

Build it and they will come. Ginny and I built a Pickleball court and we've been surprised by how well received it's become. Most of the people that join us at the court are people that have never played before covering a wide range of of age and visible physical ability. We're amazed in how quickly people have developed the skills to play.

The general age is 55-80, both in shape and way out of shape. Finding activities that provide a measure of exercise. fun and pleasant social interaction is important.

In general RVers have opportunity for activity. Pickleball is one. There is a lot of opportunity to extend yourself as an RVer. Our life had been changed by our 18 years of travel, both physically and mentally.

I know I've written about this before. It's just this morning I feel particularly good about our 75 year old life.

Norm

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #2

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Pickleball

Norm, I am intrigued! Have no idea what Pickleball is. Do you have photos of someone playing?

Mark
Old 02-08-2018, 10:47 AM   #3

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
YouTube is your friend:

Looks a bit like tennis to me.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:52 AM   #4

Name: Tom
Trailer: Sprinter 'til I buy
Denver, CO
What a nice way to deal with getting social and physical activity.

And is there gambling involved? Only kidding.
Tom 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 10:57 AM   #5

Name: Marge
Trailer: Casita
Oregon
Pickleball is all the rage these days! I'll have to try it sometime...
margeleept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Name: mark
Trailer: ,Retro by Riverside RV
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Build it and they will come.

The general age is 55-80, both in shape and way out of shape. ......

Norm
I watched the video, man that is, could be , a strenuous game!

Thought it might be like the " rope toss" I learned in Quincy at the Egg rally last fall. NO WAY

mark
Old 02-08-2018, 07:59 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Youtube Pickleball

Youtube is great, unfortunately it primarily shows really good players. At our park we have had a lot of regular non- prototypical athletes play.

This past summer we played in NH 3 times a week. One of the really good players is an elderly, really heavy set man with two big knee braces. He walks into the court area with a cane, yet he plays very well switching the racquet from hand to hand, increasing his reach so he doesn't have to move too much.

Actually Ginny has a red first aid kit. She begins the day by holding the kit up and says "No running or diving, I never want to have to open this kit."

The result of our startup pickleball court is I have found most any one can play and have fun. I also note that better players when playing with newbies adjust their game for the new players, simply wanting to provide a good, growing experiment for the new player. I also note that for most people playing for about 8 hours over a few weeks makes them a decent player, not a star, but always a fun experience.

I'm not kidding about the social aspects people are friendly and between games there's a lot of chat between those waiting to play.

If you're looking for a place to play go onto Pickleball.com. They list every place in the country by state and town. Our group supplies all paddles and balls. We only tell people to bring a chair and a drink.

Now that we're retired we have more time to be active in our lives. I begin my day with a bunch of simple exercises and a two mile walk with friends. We play days pickle ball from 9-12 at least every Wed.. Ginny doesn't start her day with exercise but does walk with friends and finishes every evening with a plank. This is more than we did while working however in retrospect we wish we had been more physically active when younger.

For those interested we're presently on the Whole 30 diet, a 30 day adventure where we eliminate a bunch of different food groups. The purpose is not to lose weight but we have lost weight. We're doing it as a family group with the kids and their wives... just one of those little challenges. I will say that physically it makes my body happier.

Being an RVer has opened new ways over the last 18 years has literally been delightful. Our road life is always fum.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote