Speed limits in the US? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 08-09-2013, 09:34 PM   #15

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
The safest speed to travel is the same speed as everybody around you. It's the differential in speeds that can hurt, as in when you are doing sixty and the concrete pillar isn't moving at all.
So, within reason, I try to keep up with surrounding traffic.
That works maybe, until you exceed the rated speed for you trailer tires.

As Donna D. says get there safely. I'll add to that the old old motto "speed kills"

Old 08-09-2013, 09:43 PM   #16

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
In case you haven't noticed, I ALMOST always include qualifiers in my posts.
"So, within reason" for instance.

Old 08-09-2013, 09:58 PM   #17

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, I ALMOST always include qualifiers in my posts.
"So, within reason" for instance.
If you define "within reason" as below the tires rated maximum speed then you be going slower than the traffic around you much of the time. OK, so what's your point?
Old 08-09-2013, 10:03 PM   #18

British Columbia
My point might be that I don't have to state an opinion or relate an experience without allowing that others may differ. My point may be, that I don't have to win.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:08 PM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

If you define "within reason" as below the tires rated maximum speed then you be going slower than the traffic around you much of the time. OK, so what's your point?
Again, more of this. Contact the tire manufacturers. Several have told me the max speed is for the load rating at the max psi.

Maxxis said 88, I was told the same, per a industry chart for the brand I have on there now (Hercules maybe?). Now, this means upping the pressure (within the max), and lowering the load rating.

Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota is all posted speed limit. Kansas is 75, the rest is 70. I'm not going to get into the killing a bus load of nuns argument.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:17 PM   #20

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Again, more of this. Contact the tire manufacturers. Several have told me the max speed is for the load rating at the max psi.

Maxxis said 88, I was told the same, per a industry chart for the brand I have on there now (Hercules maybe?). Now, this means upping the pressure (within the max), and lowering the load rating.

Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota is all posted speed limit. Kansas is 75, the rest is 70. I'm not going to get into the killing a bus load of nuns argument.

Even better Jared. Look at the side wall of your existing tires. Mine say maximum speed 65.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #21

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
My point might be that I don't have to state an opinion or relate an experience without allowing that others may differ. My point may be, that I don't have to win.
I'll leave it, you get the last word and win.
Old 08-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #22

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Even better, let's not repeat the deep discussion of this idea we already had in RV Tires. I don't see any point in rehashing that here - those interested can read the earlier topic (which is a sticky), especially from about post #37 to post #50, plus post #81 (it goes into other subjects before and after that).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:54 PM   #23

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
... So, within reason, I try to keep up with surrounding traffic.
Quote:
That works maybe, until you exceed the rated speed for you trailer tires.
Regardless of the speed rating of ST tires, one might be legitimately and safely towing a trailer on a type of tire other than ST, with a speed rating exceeding the speed of surrounding traffic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #24

Name: Leonard
Trailer: not yet
California
I can state that in California they do enforce the "towing a trailer speed limit". They also enforce being in the right two lanes for trailers on multiple lane urban highways.

Luckily for me the judge put them both together for one traffic school. Still had to pay both fines, though.

(This was several years ago, pulling my Boston Whaler. I'd like to think I've grown up a bit since then.)
Old 08-10-2013, 08:53 AM   #25

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Not all states enforce towing speed limits. However trailer tires are generally rated for 65 mph maximum.
West coast speeds.
That is if they are inflated to the minimum amount for the given load. If you increase the pressure by 10psi, and do not exceed the maximum pressure of 50psi, then they are rated for up to 75mph. I very rarely exceed that speed.

Quote:
Special Trailer (ST) Tire Speed Ratings

Industry standards dictate tires with the ST designation are speed rated to 65 MPH (104 km/h) under normal inflation and load conditions.

However industry standards also stipulate, if tires with the ST designation are used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h), it is necessary to increase their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load.

Do not exceed the wheel’s maximum rated pressure. If the maximum pressure for the wheel prohibits the increase of air pressure, then maximum speed must be restricted to 65 mph (104 km/h).

The cold inflation pressure must not exceed 10 psi (69 kPa) beyond the inflation specified for the maximum load of the tire.

Increasing the inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) does not provide any additional load carrying capacity.
Quote:
The safest speed to travel is the same speed as everybody around you. It's the differential in speeds that can hurt, as in when you are doing sixty and the concrete pillar isn't moving at all.
So, within reason, I try to keep up with surrounding traffic.
Absolutely true. This is something well covered when I took traffic engineering as part of my Civil Engineer educating. Any difference in speed is what causes almost all accidents, other than head on. This is when over the years merging and diverging lanes have been lengthened, to allow vehicles to enter and leave traffic lanes at highway speeds.

I too tend to follow the speed of traffic, within reason, up to about 10-15 kph over the limit, and very rarely do I travel over 120 kph (75 mph).
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 11:32 AM   #26
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Texas
Registry
Plenty of opinions here, but not a single response pertaining to Pennsylvania, which was the OP's question.

Does anybody from or with experience in Pennsylvania have anything to add?
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 12:03 PM   #27

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary F View Post
Plenty of opinions here, but not a single response pertaining to Pennsylvania, which was the OP's question.

Does anybody from or with experience in Pennsylvania have anything to add?
Thanks for getting this back on track.
Here's a web site that indicated it's 55mph in PA.
Trailer towing speed limits are sometimes hard to find. In Oregon they're deep in the statutes and not really easy to find.
Other sites indicate it's 65 in Oregon, and 55 in PA. One reversed it.
My suggestion is to call the State Patrol, or what ever the state highway enforcement agency is and ask them. Be sure to ask for statue number and paragraph.

I know this isn't the answer you wanted, but maybe it'll help a bit.
Old 08-10-2013, 12:28 PM   #28

British Columbia
Actually, the subject line for the OP is "Speed limits in the US?"
So, I think subsequent posts are pertinent.