Speed limits in the US? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2013, 12:50 PM   #1

Name: Chris
Trailer: 13' Scamp
Pennsylvania
Registry
Speed limits in the US?

I always assumed that the speed limits for trailers are the same as for other cars... I have to admit that I made my license in Europe, so I was surprised that even my home state (PA) has some speed limits for trailers.

Are these generally enforced?

Is a RV trailer the same as a "house trailer"? Or are these the large mobile homes?

In PA whats considered a highway in an urban district?
"As posted. Fixed maximum limits as follows: (1) rural interstate highways – 65 mph; (2) residential districts on most local highways – 25 mph; (3) urban districts – 35 mph; and (4) in other locations – 55 mph."

See here Trailer Speed Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws

... I like the Alabama and Arizona laws
chse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #2

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Oklahoma
Every trailer, semitrailer, and pole trailer with a GVWR of 3,000 lbs.
or more shall be equipped with independent braking system adequate
to control the movement of and to stop such a vehicle.

Oklahoma Speed Limit
N/A

Thanks for the link.
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
In California it usually sez
"Vehicles with Trailers 55MPH"
And it's never more.

That includes everyone, from a SkiDoo, to Scamps to 18 wheelers, to that Toyota pulling the Space Shuttle. (Well, actually oversize loads do have lower limits)

And YES, they are enforced.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
My space shuttle pushes the Toyota......LOL
carlkeigley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #5

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
Texas has no seperate speed limit for towed trailers. Most rural interstates are 75 mph. I've even towed on the 130 toll road around Austin where the speed limit in 85 mph. I know how the boulder in the middle of a rapids feels.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Chris,

Speeed limits vary by state, not dissimilar from Europe where they vary by country. A good percentage of the country is 55 mph. Texas does have a speed limit for trailers as far as I can tell as follows:

"The maximum speed for a towing vehicle in Texas is 70 mph -- on the interstate -- unless posted otherwise. Under code 545.352, that's only in the daytime; it applies to passenger vehicles and light trucks pulling small trailers less than 26 feet long, carrying a boat, motorcycle or animals. For such small trailers, the nighttime maximum is 65 mph. For other kinds of trailers, such as fifth wheels, the maximum daytime speed is 60 mph, and that maximum drops by 5 mph at night. Common sense trumps the posted speed limit: If it's foggy, and you're still traveling at 55, the police can cite you for dangerous driving."

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Not all states enforce towing speed limits. However trailer tires are generally rated for 65 mph maximum.
West coast speeds.
California 55 mph posted on most roads and I would assume enforced.
Oregon 55 mph not posted and as far as this Oregonian has seen not enforced.
Washington same as truck maximum speed which is posted on the freeways as 60 mph, don't know about enforcement.

North of border in BC 50 mph. don't know about enforcement.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Where did you get 50 mph for BC?
I'm driving the posted limit or 10kph above, in an effort to stay with the flow of traffic.
That's usually 68 mph on Highway 1, up the Coquihalla, wherever the posted limit is 110kph ( 68mph )
Glenn Baglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Baglo View Post
Where did you get 50 mph for BC?
I'm driving the posted limit or 10kph above, in an effort to stay with the flow of traffic.
That's usually 68 mph on Highway 1, up the Coquihalla, wherever the posted limit is 110kph ( 68mph )
I got it from a BC government web site. I don't remember the URL. I do remember being surprised. I believe it said something like 80kph.

I just looked it up. It was AAA/CAA web site. It's a ways done on the link.
Old 08-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #10

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by chse View Post
Is a RV trailer the same as a "house trailer"? Or are these the large mobile homes?
Generally yes, "house trailer" is an old term, still used in some legislation, for what we know call a "travel trailer" or "towable RV". Mobile homes - factory-built houses which are towed to their end location but not routinely moved after that - are wide and heavy enough to be subject to their own rules and generally not towable by someone with an ordinary driver's license.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #11

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I got it from a BC government web site. I don't remember the URL. I do remember being surprised. I believe it said something like 80kph.

I just looked it up. It was AAA/CAA web site. It's a ways done on the link.
Do you mean this:
Quote:
80 km/h on provincial highways, and 50 km/h in populated areas, or as posted.
from Trailer Speed Limits | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws?
That's the general rule for all vehicles, not just trailers. As it states, posted limits supersede this rule; the "100 km/h" signs on major highways apply to everyone, not just trailers. It is repeated on British Columbia | AAA/CAA Digest of Motor Laws under the heading "Trailer Speed Limits", but it doesn't make sense as a trailer-specific rule because B.C. doesn't post separate limits for trailers, and so many roads would have trailers at inappropriate limits for lack of any specific direction.

The actual regulations are published by the B.C. government at Motor Vehicle Act. Part 3, section 146, contains the 50/80 km/h limits (in subsection 1), as well as provisions for other limits as indicated by signs, and even for separate limits for various classes of vehicles. They do not contain any specific limits for trailers. It appears that the auto club has just incorrectly published the general limits as if they are trailer-specific limits.

These rule collections are well-intentioned and often useful, but also often missing many details.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Scamp 16'
Utah
Registry
In California, it is the posted speed limit, up to 55mph. Posted limits above 55, anything towing anything is restricted to 55mph. Enforcement is selective(I stay between big trucks that average about 65).
Old 08-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I flippin' don't care what the posted speed limit is for towing a trailer... I just want ALL of you to get to your destination safely

If it means leaving home an hour earlier, do it! Get where you want go camp safely...

I know there are members here that are almost arrogant about speed limits. It's NOT how fast you get there... it's the FACT you do GET there.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 08:23 PM   #14

The safest speed to travel is the same speed as everybody around you. It's the differential in speeds that can hurt, as in when you are doing sixty and the concrete pillar isn't moving at all.
So, within reason, I try to keep up with surrounding traffic.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:34 PM   #15

Registry
Quote:
The safest speed to travel is the same speed as everybody around you. It's the differential in speeds that can hurt, as in when you are doing sixty and the concrete pillar isn't moving at all.
So, within reason, I try to keep up with surrounding traffic.
That works maybe, until you exceed the rated speed for you trailer tires.

As Donna D. says get there safely. I'll add to that the old old motto "speed kills"
Old 08-09-2013, 08:43 PM   #16

In case you haven't noticed, I ALMOST always include qualifiers in my posts.
"So, within reason" for instance.
Old 08-09-2013, 08:58 PM   #17

Registry
Quote:
In case you haven't noticed, I ALMOST always include qualifiers in my posts.
"So, within reason" for instance.
If you define "within reason" as below the tires rated maximum speed then you be going slower than the traffic around you much of the time. OK, so what's your point?
Old 08-09-2013, 09:03 PM   #18

My point might be that I don't have to state an opinion or relate an experience without allowing that others may differ. My point may be, that I don't have to win.
Old 08-09-2013, 09:08 PM   #19

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post

If you define "within reason" as below the tires rated maximum speed then you be going slower than the traffic around you much of the time. OK, so what's your point?
Again, more of this. Contact the tire manufacturers. Several have told me the max speed is for the load rating at the max psi.

Maxxis said 88, I was told the same, per a industry chart for the brand I have on there now (Hercules maybe?). Now, this means upping the pressure (within the max), and lowering the load rating.

Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota is all posted speed limit. Kansas is 75, the rest is 70. I'm not going to get into the killing a bus load of nuns argument.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #20

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
Again, more of this. Contact the tire manufacturers. Several have told me the max speed is for the load rating at the max psi.

Maxxis said 88, I was told the same, per a industry chart for the brand I have on there now (Hercules maybe?). Now, this means upping the pressure (within the max), and lowering the load rating.

Kansas, Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota is all posted speed limit. Kansas is 75, the rest is 70. I'm not going to get into the killing a bus load of nuns argument.

Even better Jared. Look at the side wall of your existing tires. Mine say maximum speed 65.