Speed traps listed by City or Province - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-02-2010, 01:28 AM   #15

Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Arizona
On US 301 in Florida there were 2 towns that derived 80% of their municipal revenue from traffic fines. I never got caught there, but I knew the place was bad news. AAA used to route members on a 40 mile detour just to avoid the towns of Waldo and Lawtey. I don't know if it as changed or not.

Old 11-02-2010, 10:47 AM   #16

Trailer:
It seems to me that people often see this in two ways:

a) I am a safe driver (of course, I am - I've just told you I am, haven't I?) and so if I am speeding, it isn't a dangerous activity and so it's always unreasonable victimisation for the police to stop me for speeding.

b) All other drivers (except maybe Steve McQueen, but I guess that's not important now...) are just regular drivers who think they're safe drivers and so stopping them for speeding is a good idea.

I find it interesting to hear of US speeding ticket practice as some of it is so different. Here in Britain, we have lots of radar-triggered speed cameras that can give you a fine. Some can now do automatic number plate recognition so they can work completely without human intervention - which makes it much more economic to fine people for speeding....

Andrew (15 years since the last ticket)

Old 11-02-2010, 12:54 PM   #17

Name: Pam
Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Michigan
Registry
I checked out a few of the 'speed traps' listed in my area, and I have driven through quite a few of them. I guess I don't get the definition.
There is one listed where the speed changes from one side of the intersection to the other (from 35mph to 25mph going into residential area with a narrow street), so as you cross over you must slow down. The speed marker is fully visible as you enter the intersection. So I don't get the reasoning that this is a 'speed trap', since anyone crossing the intersection can clearly see the change in speed, and slow down. (unless they're blowing through a yellow at 45mph?) That's not to say that there are not areas that qualify as speed traps, but I don't think that half of the ones I saw listed should be there.
Oh, and I did get a ticket 5 yrs ago under similar circumstances where I was NOT paying attention to the speed signs, and did the very same thing (got a ticket in a 25mph zone when I thought it was still 40mph). So, perfect driver I am not
Old 11-02-2010, 06:00 PM   #18

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Gibbens View Post
It seems to me that people often see this in two ways:

a) I am a safe driver (of course, I am - I've just told you I am, haven't I?) and so if I am speeding, it isn't a dangerous activity and so it's always unreasonable victimisation for the police to stop me for speeding.

b) All other drivers (except maybe Steve McQueen, but I guess that's not important now...) are just regular drivers who think they're safe drivers and so stopping them for speeding is a good idea.

I find it interesting to hear of US speeding ticket practice as some of it is so different. Here in Britain, we have lots of radar-triggered speed cameras that can give you a fine. Some can now do automatic number plate recognition so they can work completely without human intervention - which makes it much more economic to fine people for speeding....

Andrew (15 years since the last ticket)
Hi Andrew,
I agree with your first two statements about how people view being stopped for speeding.
I can tell you though, that here in Scotland, all alleged speed camera offences are reviewed by police officers before prosecution notices are sent out and that much of the revenue raised is ploughed back into road safety schemes and initiatives. That said, it seems that there are differences in operation south of the border where, in many cases, cameras are sited to raise maximum income and speed thresholds (trigger limits) are set lower. Here, there are strict criteria such as accident/injury rates which must be shown before a camera can be erected.
I am not trying to make a political point (Scotland v England) here, just pointing out that cameras can be used for road safety reasons as opposed to simply raising revenue.
Andy
Old 11-02-2010, 07:52 PM   #19

Trailer: 2008 Oliver Legacy Elite
Florida
Registry
Cameras are in use here in the U.S., also, and at least in our area, more often for red-light running than speeding.
Speed control use is increasing across the U.S.,however, and many people will not notice the small signs announcing their utilization. (The Cedar Rapids bypass, for example, has one very small sign, but several cameras, last time I approached it from the north.)
I don't think anyone here is advocating speeding, as most of us routinely drive below the speed limit to enjoy the scenery and conserve fuel. I don't think this is what the original poster was endorsing, either. Just a warning to look out, and be aware.
However, some areas are truly traps, and it's good to look out when you choose the "road less traveled."
Especially, if you're leaving an interstate, and may be a bit "velocitized", it's good to take a break, get a sandwich and a cup of coffee, and relax a little before driving thru the small towns on small roads. It' s probably good to be aware and watch for the quickly changing limits ahead, when you've perhaps become accustomed to driving one steady speed on the interstate.
Sherry
Old 11-02-2010, 07:53 PM   #20

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Radar and cameras used here as well. The only plus of being caught on camera here is that they don't know who was drivng so the car owner gets the fine but they avoid the points against their drivers licence which you would get if you where caught in person.

We get to pay a big fine for speeding but we also get points put against our drivers licence - the number of points you get depends on the infraction. With points you end up paying a second time - every year on your birthday you get a bill! :-) 4 points will cost you $175, 6 is $300, 13 is $1680 and on and on it goes until you hit the max of 50 points at $24,000. These bills have to be paid in order to keep your drivers licence and have nothing to do with your insurance - thats over and above. Not sure what the system is currently but it use to take 3 years to get rid of 3 points - which is the norm for speeding. So not only can speed kill people it can quickly kill your bank balance as well.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:14 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Radar and cameras used here as well. The only plit or us of being caught on camera here is that they don't know who was drivng so the car owner gets the fine but they avoid the points against their drivers licence which you would get if you where caught in person.

We get to pay a big fine for speeding but we also get points put against our drivers licence - the number of points you get depends on the infraction. With points you end up paying a second time - every year on your birthday you get a bill! :-) 4 points will cost you $175, 6 is $300, 13 is $1680 and on and on it goes until you hit the max of 50 points at $24,000. These bills have to be paid in order to keep your drivers licence and have nothing to do with your insurance - thats over and above. Not sure what the system is currently but it use to take 3 years to get rid of 3 points - which is the norm for speeding. So not only can speed kill people it can quickly kill your bank balance as well.
Here, the owner gets the question 'who was driving'? If they admit or deny knowledge, they are responsible and get the points.
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 PM   #22

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
A man was driving when he saw the flash of a traffic camera. He figured that his picture had been taken for exceeding the limit, even though he knew that he was not speeding... Just to be sure, he went around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed.

Now he began to think that this was quite funny, so he drove even slower as he passed the area again, but the traffic camera again flashed. He tried a fourth time with the same result. He did this a fifth time and was now laughing when the camera flashed as he rolled past, this time at a snail's pace...

Two weeks later, he got five tickets in the mail for driving without a seat belt.

You can't fix stupid.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:31 AM   #23

Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A man was driving when he saw the flash of a traffic camera. He figured that his picture had been taken for exceeding the limit, even though he knew that he was not speeding... Just to be sure, he went around the block and passed the same spot, driving even more slowly, but again the camera flashed.

Now he began to think that this was quite funny, so he drove even slower as he passed the area again, but the traffic camera again flashed. He tried a fourth time with the same result. He did this a fifth time and was now laughing when the camera flashed as he rolled past, this time at a snail's pace...

Two weeks later, he got five tickets in the mail for driving without a seat belt.

You can't fix stupid.
That is a good one.
Old 11-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #24

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking I haven't received a speeding ticket for 45 years.

Where was the red light camera for this turkey?

YouTube - Extreme red light running santa Ana CA

My last speeding ticket was in 1965. I was late to work and it cost me $15. I earned $2.50 per hour at that time. As you can see, excluding taxes, I worked a whole day for that ticket. I decided then and there not to speed any more. (Thank God I never killed anyone nor got caught when I was really speeding.)

Black Diamond Washington is known as a 'speed trap', and they will ticket you for 1 or 2 over. It is their town and they can do what they want. If you don't like it, don't go there. I have been driving through Black Diamond since 1977 and never received a ticket. Like Donna says, "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

Andy. That is interesting. What is the freight for driving without a license?

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Where was the red light camera for this turkey?

Andy. That is interesting. What is the freight for driving without a license?
Roger, here, driving without a licence usually carries a fine of around 200 (@ $300) and a driving ban from 1 year upwards. Of course you cannot have insurance if you don't have a licence so you would also be charged with driving without insurance, which carries a similar penalty. Repeat offenders or those caught driving while banned receive heavier fnes and even time in jail.
Andy
Old 11-03-2010, 02:02 PM   #26

Name: Barrie
Trailer: 13 ft Trillium (sold 1/1/12)
New Brunswick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm not disputing there are conditions that exist such as you describe Adrian. The recourse is to take a picture from the drivers point of view and take it to court.

I literally wrote thousands of dollars worth of fines/bails "back in the day." Probably less than 2% of people admitted they were speeding. There was always a valid "reason" everything from getting to a hospital for a birth (right!) to some hidden sign. And yes, small towns are the worst.... at least on the Oregon coast. But, it's funny in 45+ years of driving I've never gotten a speeding ticket anywhere. And NO, I never asked for a professional courtesy. I believe it's because I'm an attentive driver.

I also make it a policy to not believe 100% of everything I read on the net ;-) It's human nature to not admit guilt and to blame something/someone else for a condition.

YMMV
I found Donna's reply interesting, especially the observation about only 2% of drivers admitting to their speeding. It has been decades since I earned a speeding ticket. My brother in law, now retired from the RCMP, gave me valuable advice 35 years ago. If you're speeding and you are lit up, pull over immediately, even if the officer is making a u turn from the opposite direction. At night, turn on your interior light and put both hands on the wheel so the approaching officer can see the interior of your vehicle and, in particular, your hands. If you're asked " Do you know why I stopped you." admit you noticed you were over the posted speed when you saw the lights. Don't argue. I was stopped 3 times during lengthy drives home during a commute related to a job transfer ( yes, 30 years ago...). Each time, the officer wrote a ticket and checked off the "warning" box.
This advice may not be relevant today or perhaps not everywhere. But, if the officer intends to write a ticket, you're going to get it. However, there may just be a chance you will get a warning.
My 2 cents worth...
Safe driving.
Barrie
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #27

Name: Roger
Trailer: 2009 Trillium 1300 "Homelet"/2014 Subaru Outback "Rosie"
Washington
Registry
Talking

Yeah, we know about the interior lights on and hands on the steering wheel thing too because we have an officer in the family.

I wonder what the stopping officer thinks. "Whoa! This guy knows the drill."

We were stopped one night in our black Bronco. They were looking for a brown Bronco involved in some crime.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote