Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-12-2015, 07:28 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things

That is after you get your Fiberglass RV.

The Science Of Why You Should Spend Your Money On Experiences, Not Things
Most people are in the pursuit of happiness. There are economists who think happiness is the best indicator of the health of a society. We know that money can make you happier, though after your basic needs are met, it doesn't make you that much happier. But one of the biggest questions is how to allocate our money, which is (for most of us) a limited resource.

There's a very logical assumption that most people make when spending their money: that because a physical object will last longer, it will make us happier for a longer time than a one-off experience like a concert or vacation. According to recent research, it turns out that assumption is completely wrong.
In other words, go camping.

Click this link to read more
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 10:47 AM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
John,

We agree with you. After just cleaning out 50 years of things in our house, what we've learned from 15 years on the road has been reinforced. Just too much stuff.

It's not only the travel experiences but all kinds of experiences. Since I discovered the Khan Academy I've been studying the Art, something I never studied in college. As well in cleaning up we discovered the sketches I did when reading 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain. The reality is anyone can draw well with a little training. I have a sketch of my hand that looks like it belongs in the Sistine Chapel. (Drawing on the right side of the Brain is worth reading even if you never draw. It's like someone telling you can find agates on the beach. Once you know agates are on the beach you can see them.

One of our neighbors comes to his house every few months and always comes over to chat as soon as he arrives, i think he likes Ginny. He's certainly amazed by our ability to live for months in the Scamp; heck he was amazed by our ability to live in our Bounder.

Recognizing one's ability to experience.. to see the agates on the beach... can be the difference between road success and failure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 01:15 PM   #3

Name: Wendy
Trailer: ‘14 Casita 17 SD
Florida
There are agates on the beach?? I need to read that book! Thanks, Norm.
WendyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 02:34 PM   #4

Florida
Agates and ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
There are agates on the beach?? I need to read that book! Thanks, Norm.
Most people see the Sand, the Shells and the Sea. Few take a handful of sand and a magnifying glass and look closely at the sand.

Beyond the three S's of the seashore we've learned of agates, fossils and of course beach glass.

Agates. We were parked on a cliff (Paradise Point I believe in Port Orford, OR) when an old white pickup pulled beside us. An old timer popped out (we're the old ones now) and pulled on a pair of rubber boots. He knocked on Ginny's window and said "Got any agates?". Ginny replied no we don't. He reached into his truck and pulled our a handful of sea polished, translucent glowing stones. He gave Ginny one. We asked where he found them and he said "On the beach, you've now seen one and will be able to seem them for yourself." For the rest of our stay that was my beach hobby.

Fossils. We were at another Oregon ocean side state park sitting on a beached log. A women came up and said "May I see your hand", I put my hand out and she placed a fossil of a large hand sized, fossilized sea shell in my hand.
I asked where she got it and she responded "They're on the beach". We talked a little and I was off on my way, returning with a pocketful.

Sea Glass. We occasionally hunt for sea glass, we've lived at the ocean in NH for 30 years, our walkway is studded with beach glass and with colorful stones from all over NA. We were further down the Pacific coast in Mendocino, CA. We were directed to a little beach, the former city dump, right on the ocean. It's been cleaned up but not the broken glass, it can be found in many colors, gradually it will become sand.

Like a child I collect colored stones every where. I often return from a seaside or riverside walk with my pockets filled with multicolored stones. I actually have bags of them sorted by color...remember The Long, Long Trailer. When we had a bigger RV, our motorhome, I collected bigger stones.

My professional training was as an observer. I've become an even better observer as an RVer. I'm a 72 year old kid....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2015, 02:42 PM   #5

Florida
I ordered the book. My travels begin in 6 weeks, and I need to know how to LOOK. I want to SEE. I don't have time to miss anything!
Old 07-13-2015, 03:15 PM   #6

Florida
Wendy there is certainly wonder everywhere. Ginny and I have felt so blessed to wander about opening our eyes to the possibilities that abound.

We had friends stop by on our way to Newfoundland. They wondered how we learned so much. We said you need to be friendly. When we see people out doing what ever we stop and ask what they're doing, obviously looking to learn.

Most people we meet on the road are that way, willing to share if asked. Two years ago Fogo Island off NL's north coast was a center attraction of our trip because we chatted with a neighbor in Notre Dame Provincial Park.

Life is darn short, we need to interact as much as possible to learn what others know and do. One of the benefits of hanging around with Escapees is they have traveled a lot and usually are willing to share their adventures,

Our first year out in NL we met a full timing couple. We told them we were going to Alaska the following year. THey gave us a whole itinerary for our trip, places to see along the entire route and also told us about the Milepost book.

The road is wonderful and so are the people we've met.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2015, 03:16 PM   #7

Florida
Where are you going Wendy?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2015, 05:51 PM   #8

Florida
I only know I'm heading west. I have some must-see places and a must-be for Thanksgiving (Ft. Bragg), but I'm doing what you're doing right now -- selling and giving away stuff. And cleaning. Any and all suggestions for my must-see list west of MN are welcome!
Old 07-13-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

Florida
Maybe a few questions might help narrow down suggestions.

Do you have a general direction other than just west? Have you been west previously? If so where? Do you have an end point in mind in the west?

You might want to consider a more northerly route due to the time of the year and temperatures.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-13-2015, 09:27 PM   #10

Name: joe
Trailer: burro 1982
Tennessee
someone asked the Dalai Lama what surprised him most. This was his answer. Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present, the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die and then he dies having never lived.
Old 07-13-2015, 10:35 PM   #11

Florida
Norm, I've been west and have lived several times in CA. I've seen a few of the parks, and I have friends I want to visit in Colorado, Utah, Washington and Oregon. I will probably meander. I want to end up in Quartzsite for a while before heading east. I'm fine with not knowing where I'm going exactly. But if there are a few places I really must see out there somewhere, tell me, because that's how I'll decide. At the same time, I think I have five to ten good years left, so I'll circle North America several times.
Old 07-14-2015, 04:53 AM   #12

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle of flight View Post
someone asked the Dalai Lama what surprised him most. This was his answer. Man. Because he sacrifices his health in order to make money. Then he sacrifices money to recuperate his health. And then he is so anxious about the future that he does not enjoy the present, the result being that he does not live in the present or the future; he lives as if he is never going to die and then he dies having never lived.
I'm your guy.

I did sacrifice my health, working insanely to live well. Though it had negative results on my health, it was a fun time. I focused on a lot of different parts of life seeking scope, attempting to do everything. The achievement was as great a reward as the money.

In disagreement with the Dali, I did enjoy the present, now past, I never worried about the future, assuming I could take care of the future as I had the past.

By my mid 50s I realized the folly of not paying attention to my health triggered by the death of a friend. We divorced the past, sold some of it and hit the road seeking new adventure.

I recognize the past, rarely dwell on mistakes except as a guidestone for the future. Our 15 road years have been marvelous and the 55 years before were also great. None were optimal, everything can be done better.

Though life is riddled with trips and falls, it's the getting up and moving on with energy and hope.

Yesterday I did a lot of repetitive work. My hand has a blister, my right shoulder is wake up sore, yet the work is done, the blister will heal and my shoulder will be stronger.

I do not live as though I will never die though I do like to sing the refrain "I'm going to live forever... I'm going to catch tomorrow now".

Ginny and I feel we have been blessed, though there were mistakes and failure, our life has been marvelous. Our last 15 years better yet. Surprisingly Ginny rarely reads what I write here, but in tribute to her, she is the constant in my life.

My rule is each day is a chance to do better, to seek more knowledge, to view more wonder. Be amazed we are a speck of infinity.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-14-2015, 05:40 AM   #13

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by WendyW View Post
Norm, I've been west and have lived several times in CA. I've seen a few of the parks, and I have friends I want to visit in Colorado, Utah, Washington and Oregon. I will probably meander. I want to end up in Quartzsite for a while before heading east. I'm fine with not knowing where I'm going exactly. But if there are a few places I really must see out there somewhere, tell me, because that's how I'll decide. At the same time, I think I have five to ten good years left, so I'll circle North America several times.
Generally for us it's the trip as much as the destinations. If I were leaving from MN I would consider the following South Dakota, Corn Palace, Mount Rushmore (catch the night time presentation), Devils Tower, Snake River Canyon, Grand Coulee Dam, the Dry Falls (eastern WA), Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, Utah's National Parks, Oregon Coast (Port Orford for agates, Cape Blanco State Park for a camp ground, Crazy Norwegian for razzleberry pie), Northern CA and the Redwoods.... more than you can do in two months.

For me this is the wrong time for quartzite, I suspect it will be too hot.

I sure people will chime in..

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 07-14-2015, 06:19 AM   #14

Name: Monte
Trailer: Boler and Scamp Deluxe
California
Registry
Great post!!! After living my teens ( I'm now 58 ) in Germany, I got a taste for travel and never looked back. I try to live a simple life and use the extra money I do have on spending time with my family and most of the time the things we do together is seeing different parts of the world and U.S./ Canada. I have friends that are so far in hole with bills from buying stuff that they can't enjoy life! My house is old but livable and the vehicles are far from new but I don't care about that! If I was to die today ( Hope I don't ) I'd be a happy man. My wife and I joined a Rick Steves travel group in Sacramento and hang out with people who think the same way. Life is too short and we want to make the most of it.

All the best, Monte
Monte W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 01:42 PM   #15

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Generally for us it's the trip as much as the destinations. If I were leaving from MN I would consider the following South Dakota, Corn Palace, Mount Rushmore (catch the night time presentation), Devils Tower, Snake River Canyon, Grand Coulee Dam, the Dry Falls (eastern WA), Yellowstone, Craters of the Moon, Utah's National Parks, Oregon Coast (Port Orford for agates, Cape Blanco State Park for a camp ground, Crazy Norwegian for razzleberry pie), Northern CA and the Redwoods.... more than you can do in two months.

For me this is the wrong time for quartzite, I suspect it will be too hot.

I sure people will chime in..
Norm,
I have read a lot of your postings on this forum. I must say that I am enlighten and enjoy your postings! It would be great if you would write a book about your and Ginny's travels. I always enjoy reading about your lives and your adventures. You make growing old exciting! Peace of mind has a lot to say about being HAPPY! I may never get to all of the places that you all have been, but by reading your postings, I can dream!
Again, thanks for sharing your thoughts with the forum, I really enjoy reading your postings!
Please tell Ginny, thanks for letting you have time to post all of the information on the forum. ;-)

If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else! Yogi Berra
Nut501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:54 PM   #16

Florida
Norm, I will be traveling for the rest of my life, unless I decide to stop. Q is for January/February, and then everything else in the southwest. I plan to live at least 10 more years! And I couldn't agree more about loving the journey.

~~WW