Sportsshade?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Thumbs up

I was thinking of getting one of these, since they are compact, light weight, and can be used in many situations. Has anyone else bought/used one of these? Is it worth it?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ssh_1.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	16594
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 05:59 PM   #2

I guess either I haven't provided enough info, or nobody has any experience with this product. That's ok, I will do some more digging around for reviews on line to see what other people say about using this awning.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Well April you only gave folks six hours to answer and it was in the middle of the day! Give it sometime. Seems I remember someone using something similar...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:35 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Bath
Hi April - thanx for bringing this product to our attention. Gonna check it out - It just might be a solution for our shade needs here in da Arizona desert. L 'n D
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 AM   #5

Trailer: Former Casita 17 ft owner
Quote:
I guess either I haven't provided enough info, or nobody has any experience with this product. That's ok, I will do some more digging around for reviews on line to see what other people say about using this awning.
April,

You should provide a link to the web site to which you refer, like this:

Sport Shade
Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:10 AM   #6

sorry if I seemed impatient on this one, I just noticed this thread had a lot of hits (over 50) with no replies... I wasn't sure if I just failed to give enough details... thanks for posting the link! Here's the least expensive one I have found so far online, it totals out to about $130 after shipping charges...

http://store.buyhammocks.com/sportsshade.html
Old 11-04-2008, 11:01 AM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Yes, you have to remember it was the Monday before the first Tuesday of November in a four year cycle that relates to folks in the states in an important way, although it does have an impact on our northern neighbors who love their fiberglass rv's as well.
Dan R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:24 AM   #8

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
If it's any consolation April I was real curious about getting a Sportshade too. I haven't seen one in person but I too would like to know if anyone has ever got one and be willing to offer their 2¢. I think it'd be a terriffic little awning for a small egg.

I've found them sold on the ebay for as low as $99.

ConwayBob
Old 11-05-2008, 01:45 PM   #9

It seems it would be a good addition to any camping situation since you can hang it from almost anything. I just wonder about the quality, I find it hard to trust the "reviews" on the website selling the product to be actual testimony. I am watching ebay for a good price, right now I can only find the $139 + ship price on ebay. I just might have to take a leap of faith and try it out, I will hold out just a little longer to see what else turns up.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:23 PM   #10

Trailer: 1976 Trillium 13 ft
So are you planning not to get a trailer awning now April and use this instead?
Booker B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 03:07 PM   #11

We still plan to get the bag awning eventually, I was just curious about this one because it is portable and compact. I think it will also make a good stand by until we do purchase the bag awning. I broke down and bought one today, so we will see how it works out. I couldn't wait!
Old 11-06-2008, 08:31 AM   #12

Trailer: 1975 Surfside TM14 (front kitchen)
Registry
Send a message via MSN to Scott S. Send a message via Yahoo to Scott S.
I like the one on busdepot.com better. Sportsshade seems pricey for what you're getting and looks as though it could catch wind pretty good. also no mention as to being good in the rain as well?
http://busdepot.com/details/awning.jsp
Scott S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:10 PM   #13

I guess it depends on what you like, I much prefer pulling out a retractable over having to set up tent poles, but to each his/her own. BTW I got the sportsshade for $119 + about $10 ship. Thanks for posting the link to that other awning Scott, it may come in handy for others.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:49 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft and Trillium 4500
Quote:
I guess it depends on what you like, I much prefer pulling out a retractable over having to set up tent poles, but to each his/her own. BTW I got the sportsshade for $119 + about $10 ship. Thanks for posting the link to that other awning Scott, it may come in handy for others.

The one downside to me with the sportshade is that it appears to need to be staked down with guy lines. My first RV had an awning that required the guy lines/stake down approach, and I quickly found it was not good for me. Often I found that the camp pads extended too far for me to stake the poles down, or else the ground was too rocky to get a good stake down into it. Finally, on one camping trip, a gust of wind (not even that strong) flipped the awning right up pulling the stakes out of the ground.

When I got my 13' Scamp, I invested in a Carefree Campout awning and never looked back. It has bracket supports that attach to the side of the trailer - much sturdier in breezes and can be set up anywhere - even in a parking lot. I see now that the Trimline and Shademaker Deluxe have provisions for attaching to the sides as well. Since you can get the Trimline for $169, the $50 price difference would be worth it to me.... Trimline Awning

These are real awnings made of heavyweight vinyl, not polyester fabric. They will last for years and repel the rain as well as the sun. Furthermore, they don't have to be stored somewhere when not in use.
Jake Jacobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:02 PM   #15

I was looking into the trimline awning previously, and wasn't sure about it's durrablility compared to the shademaker. I started a thread asking other's what they thought
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/in...howtopic=32257

I was thinking the sportsshade would be an extra to use on the side, or if we are just out in the car, away from the camper, if we decided to tent camp or even for when we do street vending, sometimes instant shade can make all the difference. I really would not expect to have the sportsshade for a permanent awning on my camper. I would want something with more width and gurth to it. I have been thinking about having to stake it down, and have been trying to figure out what would be heavy enough to weigh it down, but not be too big/heavy for me to pick up or carry. I was thinking bricks. I suppose that will have to be tested in our driveway. Luckily, if I decide it is not up to my standards, I can always put it on ebay...
Old 12-06-2008, 09:09 AM   #16

Well, I thought I ordered a Sportsshade, I placed the order, got the confirmation email, but the charge never showed up on my credit card, and the place I ordered it from has not responded to any of my emails asking the status of the order, so I guess that one fell through. Well, it may just be a fluke, but I decided to hold off on trying to get one from another source.

Anyone else get one of these yet?