Spring camping problem... - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-19-2013, 06:06 PM   #1

Trailer: 2005 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Honda Odyssey
Spring camping problem...

Last night Nancy calls from Duluth (where it was snowing another foot or more) and says "We're going camping in two weeks!"

"Oh?", says I. To which she replied, "Yes!"

So, this morning, armed with scoop, shovel, and ice chisel, I made a pathway to the Scamp. That shiny stuff on the ground in front of the Roundtop is 1"-2" of ice.

Problems still to be addressed are:
1) How to get the Scamp turned around so that it can be towed out of the driveway. All the open places I need to do that are buried under drifts two to four feet high;
2) If the Scamp can be turned around, how to tow it through the ruts and mud of not only our driveway but also the road out to the highway.

Pondering that while I head for another cup of coffee...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Scamp Dig-out.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	174.7 KB
ID:	57839

Old 04-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #2

Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
I would say, sure we'll camp in 2 weeks... in my back yard! Run a cord to the Scamp, fire up the furnace, and camp. That way you don't have to get it turned around or anything.

After all, what's the difference between your frozen tundra and the frozen tundra at the campground?

How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #3

Name: Eddie
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Virginia
Looks like you have enough room to spin it around with a trailer hand dolly like they sell at Harbor Freight. Since it is ice on the ground you may be able to spin it around by hand and slide it on the ice
Eddie
http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-d...lly-37510.html
Old 04-19-2013, 06:30 PM   #4

Name: Vickie
Trailer: 1988 Perris Pacer ('Bean') / 2015 Ford F-150, 2017 Winnebago UltraLite 27BHSS
Nebraska
Registry
Seriously, except for the snow, that looks like one beautiful spot!!!!
Vickie B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #5

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
I have spun my 16' with a hand dolly in narrow area than whats in front of your trailer now. It can be done. But I am confused if the hitch is pointing in the direction it is now & the big space out in front of it, why cant you pull it out with tug and turn it around with a tug????
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:06 PM   #6

The direction it is pointed now is downhill towards the mighty Mississippi. Wouldn't need to worry about that though as there are a couple of feet of ice under several feet of snow. If we had a dolly I fear the Scamp would get away from us and slide into the house on the way to the river.

In the summer we have plenty of yard to turn it around and head out to our 1 1/2 mile dirt road which is Fred's second problem.

Weather guy said tonight that he is not expecting to see 60 degree day until May. I'll be really surprised if we can meet up with people at Mille Lacs Kathio State park. They do have a sliding hill and warming room. That might be better than summer mosquitos if we could get there.

Mike, nice of you to suggest a camp out in the yard. Wording here would be, "you can sleep in the driveway"

Nancy
Old 04-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #7

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Yikes! What a difference in locations.
My Oklahoma back yard this afternoon.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:47 PM   #8

Carl, that 6 inches of rain really greened things up. Looks like the leaves are about to come out.

That dolly is on sale. Now if it just had brakes. Rollin, Rollin, Rollin.
So, I throw a block of wood under the tire. sliding, sliding, sliding.

Nancy
Old 04-19-2013, 10:01 PM   #9

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2013 Lil Snoozy #161 (SOLD)/2010 Tacoma
NE Oklahoma
Yep, the weather man said that last storm was a drought buster.
Last year was really, really dry. Local lake was drying up.
But the lake is over flowing today.

And I am amazed how lightning turns the air to nitrogen and everything turns green.

I bought one of those dollies for my utility trailer.
But I'm not hoss enough to use it on a camper.
Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 PM   #10

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
Last night Nancy calls from Duluth (where it was snowing another foot or more) and says "We're going camping in two weeks!"

"Oh?", says I. To which she replied, "Yes!"

So, this morning, armed with scoop, shovel, and ice chisel, I made a pathway to the Scamp. That shiny stuff on the ground in front of the Roundtop is 1"-2" of ice.

Problems still to be addressed are:
1) How to get the Scamp turned around so that it can be towed out of the driveway. All the open places I need to do that are buried under drifts two to four feet high;
2) If the Scamp can be turned around, how to tow it through the ruts and mud of not only our driveway but also the road out to the highway.

Pondering that while I head for another cup of coffee...

Attachment 57839
Wow, looks like our driveway three weeks ago. Now the snow has been replaced by mud so we have faith the spring may be on the way even though the forecast for this weekend is for the 20s again at night. You're not trying to encourage spring in MN by exporting the cold to the east, are you?

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:55 AM   #11

Name: Randy
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD
Duluth,Minnesota
Single digits here in Northern MN this morning after 22 inches of snow yesterday morning- it really isn't April 20th is it? Their talking 2 to 4 more inches of snow Monday. Enough is enough! I couldn't go camping in 2 weeks if I wanted to, the Casita is in the third stall of the garage with a 6 foot high pile of snow in front of it. I'm just hoping I'll be able to get it out by the middle of May!! I suspect the lakes up here will still have plenty of ice on them 2 weeks from now and probably even 3 weeks from now for fishing opener.
The bright side- no bugs and no pollen, that's all I can come up with at the moment...
Old 04-20-2013, 09:15 AM   #12

Name: Brian
Trailer: 2013 ParkLiner
Upstate New York
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hagen View Post
Single digits here in Northern MN this morning after 22 inches of snow yesterday morning- it really isn't April 20th is it? Their talking 2 to 4 more inches of snow Monday. Enough is enough! I couldn't go camping in 2 weeks if I wanted to, the Casita is in the third stall of the garage with a 6 foot high pile of snow in front of it. I'm just hoping I'll be able to get it out by the middle of May!! I suspect the lakes up here will still have plenty of ice on them 2 weeks from now and probably even 3 weeks from now for fishing opener.
The bright side- no bugs and no pollen, that's all I can come up with at the moment...
Ouch!!!
When does Winter return, the first week of August?

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.
Brian M. in NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:23 AM   #13

Name: Sue and Greg
Trailer: 1982 Burro 13 foot and a 2015 Casita Spitit Deluxe 17 ft.
Washington
Registry
I vote for an in place camp. Maybe get those art skills going....you could do a huge painting of a desert scape to prop up outside the door.
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM   #14

Name: Ginny
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13 ft.
Massachusetts
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Hagen View Post
No crowds? Oh, and you could just the front step for a fridge.