View Poll Results: Social Security
62 39 65.00%
65 13 21.67%
70 3 5.00%
NEVER 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2009, 01:15 PM   #15
Name: Mary
Trailer: Escape 21; (formerly Casita LD 17 & 16)
Ha! I didn't know the answer to this question 'til I read all your persuasive arguments!

62 it is!

Mary F Fiberglass Rules!
FGRV Forum Custom Search
Mary F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 01:18 PM   #16
Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
If I start collecting at .............I benefit more

Age 62 ------------------> If I live 75 or less years
Age 66 -----------------> If I live between 75 to 80 years
Age 70 -----------------> If i live between 80 years and up

Both my grand parents made it to 94 and my Dad is 85 and walks a mile every day. So I am thinking about taking mine at age 70. I am 59 now and retired but not drawing SS yet.(I have a work pension.) I will have to see how my health is, as the years pile up. This will determine when I start taking SS.

Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 02:16 PM   #17
Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Mary F -

NO!!! **My** decision is perfect... but only for ME. **YOU** have to make the decision for YOU.
The factors in EACH of us our lives are unique. Like poster Kevin K, for HIM, he is thinking 70 is THE right answer.

All you do is you puts your money down and you takes your chances. You make the best decision at the time, and live with the consequences.

Now, as **certain** as I am that 62 is RIGHT for me, that thought may well change as I close in on it. Depends on Washington, my own health, my general financial condition, and other items. Right now today I am thinking 62, but until I sign on the dotted line, it ain't a done deal.

Ha! I didn't know the answer to this question 'til I read all your persuasive arguments!

62 it is!

Alan Weinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #18
Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
For me it was 62.

For my friend it was 65.

The difference was I retired at 62 and started collecting SS at that time. For my friend, he retired at age 57 and the company supplemented his retirement income until he became eligible for SS. The agreement didn't say he had to take SS at age 62, it said 65.

Everyones situation is different. You need to sit down and plot a curve to determine the crossover point where the area under the curve for age 65 becomes greater than the area under the curve for 62. Estimate whether you will need the extra money now or after the age of the crossover point.

You must also consider that your SS stops at your death. Do you want to spend the money now or take a risk that you will live long enough to benefit by from your decision to wait.

OBTW, Scott Burns (retired financial editor for the Dallas Morning News) recommends that you wait as long as you can to maximize the total amount you draw.
CD and Joyce Smith - Lily, Violet, and Rose
1999 Casita 17' SD - "The Little Egg"
2007 Escalade - 6.2L V8 - 6L80E Trans - 3.42 Diff
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:05 PM   #19
Trailer: Casita

62 it is!

Mary one other thing... a big part of anyones decision on when to take SS is the place it has in the total retirement package. Its one thing to take it early if you can live comfortably without it. Its quite another if it will be the only income you will have.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #20
Name: Ches
Trailer: 1992 Kustom Koach 17 FT
British Columbia
In Canada we have Canada Pension plan and Old age security. We can take our Canada Pension Plan early as you can with SS. Our Old Age Security we can take at 65.
I just got my Canada Pension Plan, BUT i cant get old age till I file Income tax next Year. The kicker here is that if you make more than $64000 CDN in last year you will have to wait another year. This is info given to me so it could be wrong. I will get it confirmed in a week or so.

I waited till 65 for my Canada Pension Plan. My wife took hers at 62. Hers is less than mine. I get full payment and she gets partial payment.
Retired Underground Coal Miner.
Served in Canadian Army (1PPCLI)
Chester Taje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #21
Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft
For me the answer was 59.

I became 100% disabled and got FULL SS starting at 59. I would have preferred to wait.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #22
Name: Karalyn
Trailer: Eggless for now but looking. currently own Amerilite 21 ft
I filed and took SS at age 65. However SS aint that much, so I still work 6 days a week, and WISH I was retired. The SS office told me to take SS at age 65 and bank it as I would never make it up if I waited to age 70 to start drawing it.
When I am old and senile or bed ridden in a nursing home the extra $200 a month I would get at age 70 (if I had waited) won't matter anyhow as I will be stuck in some low income nursing home anyhow.
I do hope to be out and enjoying life at age 70. Hopefully I will be out camping and spending some of the money I saved up between the age of 65 and 70. I do want to see the USA before I die. My dream is to spend winters out of the cold and snow in a nice warm state.
Money will buy a fine dog, but only kindness will make him wag his tail.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #23
Name: Herb
Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
I didn't retire, I escaped from a miserable job at 63. I am now 75 and love being retired. We have to live frugally, but we manage. I was in the miserable job because I was downsized during a recession at age 59. Sound familar? I retired a week after I made our last mortgage payment.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #24
Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson

I retired a week after I made our [b]last mortgage payment.
This will be a big part of what governs my application for Social Security as well. My mortgage will be paid off when I'm almost 63. I retired from the US Navy Reserves when I was 39, but my <sub>small</sub> Navy pension begins when I turn 60. My present employer has no retirement plan. By the way, the age for collecting full SS benefits is a moving target: for me, it will be when I'm [b]67 not 65...
Frederick - The Scaleman
1978 Fiber Stream 16 named "Eggstasy" & 1971 Compact Jr. named "Boomerang"
Frederick L. Simson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #25
Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
62 for me. I am only 52, so I have a ways to go. Greenspan said a year ago, just a 1/2 percent in SS tax would make it solvent until 2079. I don't have a problem with that!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #26
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
53 now, small airline pension that I'll draw at 55 since it got shuttled over to PBGC which who knows how long that may make it. SS at 62.

At age 40 I invested in a much younger better half, that should pay big dividends when I'm 70...
Scamp Owners International
2005 Escape 17-B
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #27
Name: Roy
Trailer: 1972 boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
65 is a nice round
I sort of liked the '69 or '70 Chevelle SS myself. Preference leaning towards the '69 with the 396. The car lovers may correct me on this but I think the '70 was the most powerful.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #28
Name: Jen
Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Well, I'm 40 now, so I HOPE there's SS for me when I'm 70, though I suspect it will be suspended even further by then. I hope I live long enough to see it.

The Blog - travels and more
The Book - what we do around these parts
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote