SS - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

View Poll Results: Social Security
62 39 65.00%
65 13 21.67%
70 3 5.00%
NEVER 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #21

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
For me the answer was 59.

I became 100% disabled and got FULL SS starting at 59. I would have preferred to wait.

Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:07 PM   #22

Trailer: Casita 2000 Spirit Deluxe
I filed and took SS at age 65. However SS aint that much, so I still work 6 days a week, and WISH I was retired. The SS office told me to take SS at age 65 and bank it as I would never make it up if I waited to age 70 to start drawing it.
When I am old and senile or bed ridden in a nursing home the extra $200 a month I would get at age 70 (if I had waited) won't matter anyhow as I will be stuck in some low income nursing home anyhow.
I do hope to be out and enjoying life at age 70. Hopefully I will be out camping and spending some of the money I saved up between the age of 65 and 70. I do want to see the USA before I die. My dream is to spend winters out of the cold and snow in a nice warm state.

Karalyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 07:14 PM   #23

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
I didn't retire, I escaped from a miserable job at 63. I am now 75 and love being retired. We have to live frugally, but we manage. I was in the miserable job because I was downsized during a recession at age 59. Sound familar? I retired a week after I made our last mortgage payment.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:06 PM   #24

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I retired a week after I made our [b]last mortgage payment.
This will be a big part of what governs my application for Social Security as well. My mortgage will be paid off when I'm almost 63. I retired from the US Navy Reserves when I was 39, but my <sub>small</sub> Navy pension begins when I turn 60. My present employer has no retirement plan. By the way, the age for collecting full SS benefits is a moving target: for me, it will be when I'm [b]67 not 65...
Old 06-03-2009, 08:20 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita
62 for me. I am only 52, so I have a ways to go. Greenspan said a year ago, just a 1/2 percent in SS tax would make it solvent until 2079. I don't have a problem with that!
Randya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:37 PM   #26

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / Nissan Titan
53 now, small airline pension that I'll draw at 55 since it got shuttled over to PBGC which who knows how long that may make it. SS at 62.

At age 40 I invested in a much younger better half, that should pay big dividends when I'm 70...
2015 Escape 19 & 1997 Scamp 19
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #27

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
65 is a nice round
I sort of liked the '69 or '70 Chevelle SS myself. Preference leaning towards the '69 with the 396. The car lovers may correct me on this but I think the '70 was the most powerful.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 09:49 PM   #28

Trailer: 1972 Compact Jr
Registry
Well, I'm 40 now, so I HOPE there's SS for me when I'm 70, though I suspect it will be suspended even further by then. I hope I live long enough to see it.

"Nowhere to be and all day to get there." - The Bills
JenPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 06:17 AM   #29

Trailer: Boler 1984
I took an early retirement package, at 55, when the company I worked for went to downsizing . [or your job's in mega city 100 miles away ... next week] Got bored after being home after two weeks and went back to work until I was 64 when an untimely stroke forced me to take out an early Canadian Pension Plan and SS a couple of months later at 65. The penalty here for early CPP is 1/2% per month that you're under 65 or 6% per year.

Now, I don't think that there's enough hours in a day to go back to work after all, look at the benefits...
All the statuary holidays you want
All the sick days you want
All the holidays you want

.... AFTER the work days your wife wants.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 12:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Escape ('Turtle')
Registry
The poll options don't reflect that SS has upped the ages. If one doesn't draw at 62, depending upon year born, it is now 66 or 67 to draw full. Mike, at 63, plans to wait til 66, he works full time, enjoys his work and we know we can't live just on SS. He says his social security is good health and enjoying his work. At 66 he can draw SS and cut back his hours. But life is uncertain, the company where he works almost sold a few months ago. It is a co-op, no pensions, etc, but working there after 66 will keep his foot in the door for profit shares, etc. That's the plan, plans change.

For me, doctors told me to apply for SS disability due to health conditions. Having worked my entire life I consider I'm drawing my well earned SS early, but that was not my plan. I've always enjoyed my work and would have worked at least until the age I could have drawn full - 67.

Enjoy our travel photos at: Turtle Travels
Penney H. & Mike E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #31

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1999
This has been an interesting topic... For me it will be very hard not to start collecting at age 62.

Here is a useful link to help people decide:
http://www.metlife.com/individual/financia...tool/index.html
Mark J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 04:31 PM   #32

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I retired from teaching 7th grade science at 57. I retired from the US Army Reserve at 60 (mandatory). I started drawing SS at 62. And, now at 64, I've never been busier!
Old 06-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #33

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Burro (Sunny side UP!)
Registry
I am planning to "retire" at the end of July at 52. Under the plan of the company I have worked for during the last 9 years, I can start collecting my pension immediately and I can roll over all or part of my 401k into the pension to increase my monthly check (also without tax penalties as it would be paid out in equalized partial payments). The decision point for me is whether to take the pension payout as equal payments (same monthly check for as long as I live) or as equal income (larger checks until I turn 62 when the pension fund assumes I will be drawing SS and reduces pension check to equal income based on the calculation they make NOW as to what my SS will be at 62). I am leaning toward the equal income for the larger checks now, since I will need the money to pay bills until I have sold houses to eliminate mortgage payments.

I have seen too many people put off their vital goals for that bigger retirement check and then fall victim to disability or death just before reaching their retirement payout. I enjoy my job (sometimes), but it is high stress and my body is taking a downward spiral. I have bigger things to do with my life than make money for the corporation. Therefore, I will be taking SS at 62, regardless of what choice I make with my pension.
Anne Badgley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 02:53 PM   #34

Trailer: Casita
Quote:
I am planning to "retire" at the end of July at 52. Under the plan of the company I have worked for during the last 9 years, I can start collecting my pension immediately and I can roll over all or part of my 401k into the pension to increase my monthly check (also without tax penalties as it would be paid out in equalized partial payments).

Planning is everything. My cousin really pestered me to death 40 years ago trying to sell me life/retirement insurance. I'm glad he did even though I kept trying to avoid him at Thanksgiving... jeeze.
ronsmith100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #35

Trailer: 13 ft Casita
I'm 45 now ..I plan to retire at 60... but that is when my wife will support me till I'm 67 ...so that way we or she can draw my SS at the higher rate ....She is 8 yrs my younger..She has stayed home the past 9 yrs and will probably for another 3-5 being with the kids... then we'll both work.. till I'm 60 then its my turn to stay home awhile and fish and hunt and of course clean the house and make dinner..if I'm in town
Phillip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:49 PM   #36

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Well, I'm 52 now. All I can say is that I'll start getting it as soon as possible. Whatever that will be. I would love to retire as soon as I can and whenever I'm eligible, that will be the date that I began drawing.

At this point, though...who knows?
BOBSMITH is offline   Reply With Quote