70 3 5.00%
NEVER 5 8.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-03-2009, 08:26 AM   #1

Name: Kevin K
Trailer: 17' Casita
Mpls,Minnesota
Registry
I just curious as to what age most people will take SS.
I know that we are not to make this board political, so I hope this is NOT.

Old 06-03-2009, 08:31 AM   #2

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Thanks Kevin for asking. I think it's a simple enough questions to ask and answer. We don't need to discuss the government and whether or not SS will be around when most want to retire... no one has a crystal ball and every day is a gift.

I'm starting mine at age 62. I figured it out and at age 73 (for me) it becomes a push. At age 74, I would have gotten more monthly if I had waited. But no one knows what tomorrow may bring and I'd rather collect early than not collect at all.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 08:51 AM   #3

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: All...65 is a nice round #... I just hope I'm still a round!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Old 06-03-2009, 08:56 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot Rear Queen 25 ft
Kevin, in 10 months I will be eligible for my service pension and I plan to begin there and that is 55.

Old 06-03-2009, 09:46 AM   #5

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
I retired at 60. Although the news pundants say you should wait, I like Donna did the math and decided to go early. I am counting the months before I can start drawing. BTW, my wife started at 62 as well.

Dave
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #6

Trailer: none as of yet
Quote:
But no one knows what tomorrow may bring and I'd rather collect early than not collect at all.
yep yep... started mine when i turned 62.... its very little but better than nothing!!
Old 06-03-2009, 10:05 AM   #7

Trailer: 2002 Casita 17 ft
I turned 62 last Saturday and my first check is scheduled to arrive late in July. I decided to take it now for the same reasons as Donna. If your circumstances merit it and you do the math it just makes sense.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:15 AM   #8

Name: Cindy
Trailer: 1988 Bigfoot Silver Cloud
Illinois
Registry
SS is supposed to be bankrupt at just about the time I would be able to take advantage. I expect to have to work until I am 103.

Working makes it difficult to make some of the rallies, especially when they are during the week. However, even the weekend ones can be tough to make as I teach. The job follows me home.

However, to not sound like a total downer, we are heading out this weekend to a VW show with the UHaul. Working helps fund expensive hobbies .

CindyL
Old 06-03-2009, 10:30 AM   #9

Trailer: 2008 19 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe 5th Wheel
Ditto to all the reasons for 62. I am 55 now, retiring December this year (55 / 8 mos) and will draw the first day I can.

Let me just ADD to Donna's excellent point about the break even point. There is more to it than JUST break even.

1) I think it will be FAR easier for Congress to change the rules to keep people from STARTING than to actually cut them OFF once they start drawing.

2) even on a "break even" basis - that is only a FINANCIAL break even point. There is age to consider. Look, we are ALL older than we were yesterday. And here is the deal... our "best" years, health, stamina, whatever, ***ARE*** the younger years. So, the "extra" cash in the younger years helps fund a more active, lifestyle. Who is MORE active at, say, 85 than at 65? I dare say precious few if any. Take the cash young, while you still can and enjoy your life, while you still can.

Just my 2 worth - and worth every penny.
Old 06-03-2009, 10:54 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita
I retired at 62 and last year when I got to 65 I looked at how much more I could have gotten if I had waited and weighed that against three years of egging, fishing, and photography. The last three years have been, as MasterCard says, priceless.
Old 06-03-2009, 11:07 AM   #11

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Red face

Did it at 62 for all the already mentioned reasons Who knows if they can make it to 65.

The way retirement should be is to be retired when one is young and can enjoy it, then after getting old and not so lively one should have to work to pay for the retirement years.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 11:26 AM   #12

Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite 2008
Alan Weine - "Take the cash young, while you still can and enjoy your life, while you still can. "

ronsmith100 - " . . . three years of egging, fishing, and photography . . . priceless."

EGGZACTLY!!!!!!

Each day is a gift to enjoy, explore, and to share with others. Don't put off unwrapping your present!
Old 06-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #13

Name: Larry
Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Washington
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

I'll start'er at 62.... I turned 60 last fall and started drawing my Military "Compensation for Time Served" --- 38+ years... At 62, I have some Civil Service retirement coming also. With every thing paid for and free medical gratis the Army, we'll be all right. Carrie says she wants to retire also, but I keep telling her she's too young, and besides, she has to pay her own way......
Life is too short to keep working, and besides, there's too many places to visit and hunting camps to go to.... (and more cars to build) Larry
Old 06-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #14

Name: Pete
Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
Tennessee
I am now 63+ I planned to start SS at 62, well several months down the road I am still "almost" planning 63+. July 31????
We have a wedding in July so it really all depends on when the wife stops spending money.

Yikes! I could be working forever?