Stainless Steel Fasteners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 06-13-2009, 08:50 PM   #1

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Rear Bed
Isn't it customary to use stainless steel fasteners on the outside of the trailer? I have a mixed bag of stainless and non-stainless fasteners on my Bigfoot 21RB. Some of the non-stainless ones are beginning to rust and leave an ugly stain on the fiberglass. I've already changed some of them.
Steve Dunkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:12 AM   #2

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Scamp uses non-rusting aluminum blind (or "Pop") rivets to attach most things through the shell. Rivets have some advantages . . . they never come un-screwed. Wood cabinets are attached with galvanized screws (not stainless).

When I replace rivets or screw something into the hull I use stainless steel fasteners for the external part of the job and nickle-zinc plated fasteners on the inside.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 06:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
Quote:
Isn't it customary to use stainless steel fasteners on the outside of the trailer? I have a mixed bag of stainless and non-stainless fasteners on my Bigfoot 21RB. Some of the non-stainless ones are beginning to rust and leave an ugly stain on the fiberglass. I've already changed some of them.
Steve,

Bigfoot was pretty bad about using zink coated screws on the exterior of their trailers. They do rust if you give them enough time. I replaced all the exterior screws in my Bigfoot with stainless screws. I purchased my stainless screws on line from this outfit:

http://www.manasquanfasteners.com/de...screws_panhead

I ordered several different sizes and lengths because there are several different sizes used on the trailer. Check all your sizes before you order. They have them in the square bit drive. As I remember they did combine shipping.

I replaced the old screws one at a time. I would remove one then dip the threads of a new stainless replacement in RV caulking and install it before removing the next old one. You do not want to take all the old screws out at one time because the part they are fastening might fall off. I used a hand screw driver to be sure I did not over tighten and strip out the fiberglass. It was an easy job and did not take very long.

Regards,

Bruce H
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote