Starting to take shape. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-28-2013, 09:23 AM   #1

Name: Jay Marlette
Trailer: 1976 Scamp
California
Starting to take shape.

The roof to my Gypsy trailer/ Scamp conversion is coming along. The roof is framing in nicely and will be insulated with chunks of foam. The middle is flat and will hold three 15 Watt solar panels. The door side eaves are notched so it can hold a shade awning. The rear portion of the roof will be notched so it can be a hanging bike rack.
Attached Thumbnails
P5280386.jpg  
Jay Marlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Kevin
Trailer: 1995 Scamp 13
Pennsylvania
Registry
Nice. Why only 15-watt panels? And how much does the roof structure weigh?
KevinPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #3

California
It just happens to be what a kit that including everything (panel, charger, rack, light etc..) is using. It meets my minimal needs, including a need to not become a solar expert. The whole kit was on sale at Harbor Freight for $140.
Attached Thumbnails
P5070091.jpg  
Old 05-28-2013, 03:32 PM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
That looks suspiciously like something that would be at home on the Playa?
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 03:58 PM   #5

California
Your suspicions are confirmed. Of all things, I run a kids program at Burning Man. Black Rock Scouts.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/blackrockscouts/

I'm also looking forward to taking it to Utah where our family will be volunteering at the Best Friends Animal Sanctuary.

J
Old 05-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #6

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Too Cool! I love your sense of creating wonder. Enjoy Jay.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 04:22 PM   #7

Name: Greg
Trailer: Scamp
California
Awesome! I'll be there with my wife and it will be our 2yr old's first burn. We just bought a 16' Scamp to make life easier on the playa. I love what you're doing with yours! I'm also looking into solar for mine.
GrregP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #8

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
How are you securing it to the trailer? I know you aren't going to give it any chance to sail off while driving.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #9

California
Thanks D Davis? I am really enjoying myself. I'll be sad when its done. I'm grateful to have a wife and daughter who puts up with my goofballery.

GrregP. Cool, I'll be camping at Kidsville. Its a great place to camp and offers a tad bit security around the kids. Its nice to camp around other parents so if you forget something child related, somebody will likely be able to help you out. A nice couple loaned us sheets to mitigate the dust on our beds. The Black Rock Scout headquarters will be in Kidsville and no matter where you camp, you can always come to visit or participate in one of our activities. Last year I took an old tent trailer that got knocked around in the wind (gave it to a cute 20 something couple for their next burn) I'm betting the Scamp will be a lot nicer. This year, I won't be there the whole week but I am organizing a staff of scout leaders to run the show most of the week. My ten year old daughter and I will get there late Thursday night. Props to my wife who admits that the dust is not for her. Its our big Dad and Daughter trip each year. Last year was her first and now I can't imagine going without her.

Check out the solar kit from Harbor Freight. Its super easy and you can at least bring it and set it on the ground at your camp. Mine will be mounted with two car scissor jacks on each side to adjust it when parked.

Mike Magee, Don't think I haven't tossed and turned at night with nightmares of my roof in somebody's front seat. I'm holding it down with 16 bolts connected to the shell, 16 hurricane connectors to solidify the framing, and four tie down cables from the front and rear rafters to the metal frame base. If the roof goes, the whole trailer goes. Maybe I should throw in a race care fin in the back. I'm all for over-engineering.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:01 AM   #10

California
Does anybody know a cheap place to acquire foam?
Old 05-29-2013, 07:26 AM   #11
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Insulation foam? I used to get 2"x16"x8' pieces from a friend that was a masonry contractor, but it wasn't an on-demand thing. Sometimes it was muddy or had mortar splattered on it, but it worked fine. Otherwise, I'd go with Lowes, HD, etc. Most places that use rigid foam board only leave small scraps, since it's easy to use it all up.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:37 AM   #12

California
I meant upholstery foam. I can see how insulation foam would be more topical in this thread. In fact, I'm applying some today. I'm starting to think about the cushions for the beds and seats.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:41 AM   #13

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2001 Spirit Deluxe 17" K5NAN
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Marlette View Post
The roof to my Gypsy trailer/ Scamp conversion is coming along..
When I was a little kid we had Gypsy's who drove around in wagons that looked similar to your roof. Except they had wagon wheels and horses.

Is this a conceptual design or something you saw somewhere?
If you Rest, You Rust
GMike A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #14

Name: David
Trailer: 1978 Trillium 1300
Cumberland, Indiana
Registry
Quote:
I meant upholstery foam. I can see how insulation foam would be more topical in this thread. In fact, I'm applying some today. I'm starting to think about the cushions for the beds and seats.
I bought 4" foam cushions from:

www.buyfoam.com/Store_Start.aspx

Custom cut foam to your door, fast and easy.

They sell several different types, take a look.

Spanke
Old 05-29-2013, 08:07 AM   #15
Commercial Member

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Check the flyers in the Sunday papers for Jo-Ann coupons if you have stores near you. Also check to make sure the foam is not already "on sale", the coupons are only good on "regular price" items. Oddly enough, there are certain items that get marked down like 5% every time there is a coupon offered.

I found a local auction house that had gotten a truckload of foam twin mattresses in, bought 4 for $20 each, wish I had gotten more! They were 6" thick, though.
Old 05-29-2013, 12:20 PM   #16

California
GMikeA, I took a bunch of gypsy trailer pics and taped them to my garage wall to get a general idea. This project just kinda forms as I go.

Spanke, Thanks for the foam site. It looks easy and fairly reasonable.
Old 05-29-2013, 01:24 PM   #17

Name: Michael
Trailer: Uhaul CT-13
Pennsylvania
For cheapest (free, really) high grade foam, I cruise around looking for curb couches. Find one in good shape and pillage the seat cushions. The foam is expensive stuff typically, meant to last. Some couches are stained and gross, some just have a rip in the arms or something and the foam is perfect. I find the quality better than the foam for sale at fabric stores or craft stores, and love the price.. an hour of time and 5 bucks in gas.

Your mileage may vary, but I've had great luck with this consistently and you're saving room in a landfill too
Bootsand is offline   Reply With Quote