State Park Camping Fees - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #41

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I resent paying near motel rates to stay in taxpayer supported state parks, and I seldom do so unless there is a fiberglass gathering event which necessitates it. Especially the surcharges for out of state plated vehicles, the occupants of which bring millions of tourist dollars into the state and local coffers.
Fees to enter or use publicly funded state parks, campgrounds,and trails, discriminate against those low income families who work all week and have little left over for recreation only to find public areas reserved for the elitists who are willing to pay to avoid contact with commoners .
Oh! Weep for the Hoi Polloi!
Lately the motels I have stayed in have cost well north of $100 and believe me, they were far from fancy.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #42

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I resent paying near motel rates to stay in taxpayer supported state parks, and I seldom do so unless there is a fiberglass gathering event which necessitates it. Especially the surcharges for out of state plated vehicles, the occupants of which bring millions of tourist dollars into the state and local coffers.
Fees to enter or use publicly funded state parks, campgrounds,and trails, discriminate against those low income families who work all week and have little left over for recreation only to find public areas reserved for the elitists who are willing to pay to avoid contact with commoners .
Oh! Weep for the Hoi Polloi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Actually, here in Michigan, no tax money goes to support the State Parks. They now subsist on a grossly underfunded endowment (supposed to be $800 million when fully funded, is currently at about $150 million), and the many exorbitant fees, plus any other funds they can find on their own...
When they say "self-funded, no taxpayer dollars," they usually mean no on-going funds for operations. Who paid for the initial development of the park? Lyle, where is Michigan's endowment coming from? And more important, who owns the land itself?

Demand for access to parks is up, driven by a generation of relatively well-heeled and longer-lived retirees. Development of new parks and expansion of existing parks is down due to a general reluctance to use tax dollars to build them at a time when roads and other critical infrastructure are crumbling.

A motel can be constructed on a few acres of semi-urban land, usually with utilities nearby. A state park is constructed on hundreds, or thousands, of acres of prime recreational land. Bringing in utilities alone could cost as much as a motel. I guess one difference is the "maids" are volunteer campground hosts...

In terms of real costs, state parks should probably be priced higher than a motel. Who pays how much of that cost is a tricky political decision influenced by powerful special interests- and the politics in every state is different.

I'm at least grateful there are options: 50 states, federal parks and lands, private campgrounds, county and local options, not to mention ten provinces and three territories,... Oh, and Walmart...
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 08:17 AM   #43

Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 16, previously Scamp 13
None
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
When they say "self-funded, no taxpayer dollars," they usually mean no on-going funds for operations. Who paid for the initial development of the park? Lyle, where is Michigan's endowment coming from? And more important, who owns the land itself?
The endowment fund is being built through private donations, 50% of the annual State mineral revenue, and POSSIBLY up to 5 million from State Taxes. I miss spoke, as of a few years ago the fund was at $171 million, not $150 million. They have been trying to build it since 1994 when this method of funding was changed from direct tax funding. The State owns the land but the endowment and fees pay for all operations and capital improvements.

From the State DNR website:

"The State Parks Endowment Fund can be used for operations, maintenance, and capital improvements (infrastructure) at Michigan state parks. Currently, the Michigan state park system has a backlog of capital improvements that need to be implemented but funding falls short of meeting the needs. Annual funding of approximately $22 million in combined revenue, including interest, is enough to cover continued operation and maintenance of the parks, but only a small portion of the needed projects may be addressed. Projects currently pending, such as restroom building replacement, road improvements and parking lot repair, total approximately $340 million."

In other words, the "system" is not working very well.
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:31 PM   #44

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
We often go camping in central Wisconsin . In that are are two parks,one State ,one County . Both parks have electricity ,hot showers ,potable water ,a dump station and both parks are on the same river. The county park charges $23 / night with no reservation fee or park entrance fee . The State Park charges $35 /night plus reservation fees and entrance fees. The county park is booked solid ,7 days a week from Memorial day to Labor Day . The State Park basically sits empty during the week . The county park is now so successful that they had the money to redo the parks electrical system and build new shower / bathroom facilities.
If they want to make parks ,libraries ,zoos self funding ,raising the price beyond what people are willing to pay is not the solution.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #45

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Shopping for new RV
North Carolina
If the state managed the park with a bottom line profit to cover the actual cost of operations and improvements then they could compete with the county parks and the private campgrounds. Any thing the government operates is loaded with waste. Having served in the military I have seen just how the government can squander tax payer dollars.
Uplander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 03:38 PM   #46

Name: Dennis
Trailer: Casita
Illinois
Come to Central Illinois and stay at Corps of Engineer camp...Bo Wood on beautiful lake Shelbyville. $9(W&E) with Golden Eagle type pass. Wonderful sites, lots to do in Sullivan area...Little Theatre, Amish,
ozierjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:26 PM   #47

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Texas adds park entry fee on top of RV site price.
Old 03-06-2016, 08:39 PM   #48

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozierjd View Post
Come to Central Illinois and stay at Corps of Engineer camp...Bo Wood on beautiful lake Shelbyville. $9(W&E) with Golden Eagle type pass. Wonderful sites, lots to do in Sullivan area...Little Theatre, Amish,
I agree that Corps of Engineer Campgrounds are usually well-kept, have nice sites and facilities, and are decently priced. I've camped at one in Minnesota and one in Wisconsin, and have been pleased with both. You can reserve sites on www.reserve.gov and, like ozierjd said, you can get a discount for being old.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 11:00 PM   #49

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Some of those MI state park CGs are full all summer... Ludington and McLain are two I know of. The ones with nice views of the big lake and sandy beaches tend to be in high demand, despite the potentially high fees. So it's hard to argue that they'd make more revenue by reducing fees.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 06:15 AM   #50

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Some of those MI state park CGs are full all summer... Ludington and McLain are two I know of. The ones with nice views of the big lake and sandy beaches tend to be in high demand, despite the potentially high fees. So it's hard to argue that they'd make more revenue by reducing fees.

That is because there are always people who will be willing to condone, support, and do things that the majority of others find distasteful. For example, politicians who allow jobs to be sent to foreign countries continue to get elected. Cable and satellite companies who repeatedly raise prices see virtually no drop in subscribers, poorly made (generally Chinese) products clutter the shelves of Walmart. People complain that they want to buy North American made products but do not boycott Walmart. The same is true of State Park and camping fees. Costs more to camp in some places than it does to stay in a "bargain motel." A concerted, united effort by the people would send a strong message, but few are willing to do so, they only complain repeatedly, but then go out and pay outrageous prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Old 03-07-2016, 07:17 AM   #51

Name: jim
Trailer: Escape 21 Nov.2016
Florida
Registry
Florida fees

I just stayed at a Fl. State park as a over 62 yr old it was $10.00 per night with water and elec . This was on a boat camping trip but the State charges 1/2 for Retirees .If you are a non resident or under 62 resident you pay $20.00 .I sure hope Fl. doesn't start raising rates .
jennykatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #52

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I have a suggestion. Let's talk about camping fees... what it costs to stay at a particular state park, etc. BUT, please keep the politics out of it. PLEASE.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:40 AM   #53
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
...sometimes the bear eats you.

After travelling all day through a foreign country we arrived at Point Crescent State park in Michigan. Right on the lake, it seemed like a nice place. But after several attempts we couldn't find a site where we could level the trailer. We decided that sleeping on an angle was not worth the $35 they charged so we left. We arrived in Caseville where there is a small county/town campground right on the lake. The price was $25. All sites had hookups and while not as picturesque as the state park, the sites were level. We were told to go ahead, choose a site, set up and then come back and pay. When we did that they added a $7 registration fee to the bill. At this point we were too tired to move on.

Now when in Michigan we go to one of the many NFS campgrounds. Hard to beat the price and we know what to expect. Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:37 AM   #54

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
Some of those MI state park CGs are full all summer... The ones with nice views of the big lake and sandy beaches tend to be in high demand, despite the potentially high fees...
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
That is because there are always people who will be willing to condone, support, and do things that the majority of others find distasteful... The same is true of State Park and camping fees. Costs more to camp in some places than it does to stay in a "bargain motel"...
Perhaps, even at $50/night, they find the state park less distasteful than a $50/night motel...

Personally, whether or not I would find $50/night unacceptable might depend on the location and season. If it were a prime scenic area with lots of on-site recreational opportunities, and if it were my one week of precious family vacation, I might be willing to pay it. I wouldn't like it, but no way I'd ever get my wife to spend our vacation in a $50 motel!

I have no idea if that puts me in the majority or the minority…

I do think working families and retired seasonal/full-time users have different perspectives on access, amenities, and fees. At least in Arizona, and probably many other places as well, it's a delicate balance. Seasonal visitors bring in millions of dollars to our state economy, helping keep income taxes fairly low and supporting the expansion of a fairly limited state park system, but it can be hard to score a campsite during prime winter season and new development seems to favor big-rig-friendly sites. Let's not even talk about trying to find a motel room during spring training! At least the public campgrounds don't raise their prices 50-100% when the Cubs are in town.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #55

Name: Marky
Texas
Texas State Parks a nice. They have a $7 entrance fee and charge between $18 and $26 dollars for water and electricity, mainly $20. Sometimes they also include sewer and cable. They have an annual entrance pass for $75 which includes 4 nights at half price. Texas just approved $90 million for park improvements.

http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/improvement/

Happy Camping!
Marky
MarkyVasquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 AM   #56

Name: P
Washington
I have bit the bullet and am staying (later on) at a spendy state park in my fair state. I did not go for a "popular" waterfront site though. Friends did and they can be the watcher of the kayaks. It's a fun place to go and has an interesting shoreline and rocky islands to paddle around. It is also one of the parks that makes a profit and can charge the big fees which can be used for a less popular one I may stay at later.
slowpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 02:45 PM   #57

Name: Lil
Trailer: '84 13' Scamp & '14 homebuilt Benroy Teardrop
Minnesota
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil M. View Post
I agree that Corps of Engineer Campgrounds are usually well-kept, have nice sites and facilities, and are decently priced. I've camped at one in Minnesota and one in Wisconsin, and have been pleased with both. You can reserve sites on www.reserve.gov and, like ozierjd said, you can get a discount for being old.
I posted a bad link. It's Federal recreation, camping and tour reservation information - Recreation.gov and campsites with electric are $26/night. No entrance fee.
Lil M. is offline   Reply With Quote