State Park Camping Fees - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 03-05-2016, 06:36 AM   #29
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
In Florida, residents 65 and over get a 50% reduction on camping fees in the state parks. I just paid $12.50 a night for 13 days next February (Scamp Camp). Good bargain! But when traveling, my preference is to state parks (except in Georgia, which requires a 2 night stay, presumably because Reserve America gets the first night fee, and Georgia's ridiculous reservation policy, where you are not assigned or cannot request a campsite. It's first come, first served. Even with a reservation, upon arrival you must search and find an unoccupied site.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________

__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 06:58 AM   #30
Senior Member
 
Alf S.'s Avatar
 
Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Posts: 3,815
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
In Florida, residents 65 and over get a 50% reduction on camping fees in the state parks. I just paid $12.50 a night for 13 days next February (Scamp Camp). Good bargain! But when traveling, my preference is to state parks (except in Georgia, which requires a 2 night stay, presumably because Reserve America gets the first night fee, and Georgia's ridiculous reservation policy, where you are not assigned or cannot request a campsite. It's first come, first served. Even with a reservation, upon arrival you must search and find an unoccupied site.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Hi: CPW... We thought Alabama st. pk's would be the same as Georgia's. We were assigned a site but not notified which one till we arrived. Not a bad one!!! #1 is best to be. Right across the street from the washrooms turned Tornado shelter. WHEW!!!
Everyone in or out of Gulf St. Pk. had to view our "Escape Hatch II". We were so busy showing it!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
__________________

__________________
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:11 AM   #31
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Hi Alf.....
I have found Alabama's state parks superior to Georgia's, as are Tennessee's and Kentucky's. That is, of course, MY opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:21 AM   #32
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Hi Alf.....
I have found Alabama's state parks superior to Georgia's, as are Tennessee's and Kentucky's. That is, of course, MY opinion.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
We found Georgia's State Parks to be some of the best .
We stayed at several Alabama State Park and were greatly disappointed
The shower facilities were in very poor condition , the toilets were non functional and the sewer backed up on our site .One good thing Alabama refunded our money but refused to apologize for the retched conditions.
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 04:46 PM   #33
Senior Member
 
Mike Magee's Avatar
 
Name: Michael
Trailer: Li'l Hauley
Oklahoma
Posts: 5,142
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I encourage everyone to come camp in Oregon and gamble like crazy!
Obtaining a good campsite in Oregon must be a gamble! Just kidding. I'd love to get out to OR and enjoy the state parks along the coast, but it's so doggone far away. Oregon should move...
__________________
How much time do we have left? 2 Chr. 7:14
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #34
Senior Member
 
Gilda's Avatar
 
Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Posts: 1,226
Registry
OK, as a native Californian, I have to put in a plug for California and it's State Parks. This website shows that there is wide variation of fees depending on whether it is a rustic, walk-in campground or one that is on the beach or if you rent a cabin. Those 62 and older get a $2 discount, not great, but something. Camping Fees

Here's a list of the Top 10 National Parks in California Top 10 national parks in California | Travel | The Guardian. I've been to all of them and they are each uniquely spectacular! There are many more National Parks and National Monuments here.

California is an incredibly diverse state from deserts to mountains to beaches, we have it all! Allow me to welcome you to California!

1. Death Valley, NP
2. Yosemite, NP
3. Point Reyes, NP (I live nearby!)
4. Joshua Tree, NP
5. Lassen Volcanic, NP
6. Sequoia and Kings Canyon, NP
7. Pinnacles, NP
8. Devil's Postpile, N Monument
9. King's Range National Conservation Area (Lost Coast)
10. Redwood National and State Parks
__________________
The Gleeful Glamper
Gilda (Jill-da)
"Here we go again on another amazing adventure"
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 07:42 PM   #35
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
State Park Camping Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
We found Georgia's State Parks to be some of the best .
We stayed at several Alabama State Park and were greatly disappointed
The shower facilities were in very poor condition , the toilets were non functional and the sewer backed up on our site .One good thing Alabama refunded our money but refused to apologize for the retched conditions.

As Donna would say, YMMV. It would seem your mileage varies from mine. Other than the Georgia Veterans Memorial SP and a couple in Northern Georgia, I have not found a single Georgia SP that were superior to any of those I have spent time in while in Alabama, though I would admit to having experience with only 3 or 4 of Alabama's SPs. I do not normally camp in Alabama. My son lives near Huntsville and when in Alabama, I am typically at his house. I would ask you to specify as to which Alabama State Park you are referring.
And I still think Georgia's handling of reservations is so absolutely ridiculous I will no longer even consider staying in Georgia's SPs; I would rather Kamp On Asphalt while in Georgia. And I have seen some pretty ratty showers (bath houses) at some of the SPs in Georgia.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 08:23 PM   #36
Senior Member
 
Name: None
Trailer: None
None
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
As Donna would say, YMMV. It would seem your mileage varies from mine. Other than the Georgia Veterans Memorial SP and a couple in Northern Georgia, I have not found a single Georgia SP that were superior to any of those I have spent time in while in Alabama, though I would admit to having experience with only 3 or 4 of Alabama's SPs. I do not normally camp in Alabama. My son lives near Huntsville and when in Alabama, I am typically at his house. I would ask you to specify as to which Alabama State Park you are referring.
And I still think Georgia's handling of reservations is so absolutely ridiculous I will no longer even consider staying in Georgia's SPs; I would rather Kamp On Asphalt while in Georgia. And I have seen some pretty ratty showers (bath houses) at some of the SPs in Georgia.


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Let's just say we agree to disagree.
__________________
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 10:07 PM   #37
CPW
Senior Member
 
CPW's Avatar
 
Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Flori-duh!
Posts: 934
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Let's just say we agree to disagree.

Steve.....you are welcome to say whatever you want. LOL 😇


Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
__________________
CPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2016, 11:45 PM   #38
Senior Member
 
floyd's Avatar
 
Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Posts: 6,046
Registry
I resent paying near motel rates to stay in taxpayer supported state parks, and I seldom do so unless there is a fiberglass gathering event which necessitates it. Especially the surcharges for out of state plated vehicles, the occupants of which bring millions of tourist dollars into the state and local coffers.
Fees to enter or use publicly funded state parks, campgrounds,and trails, discriminate against those low income families who work all week and have little left over for recreation only to find public areas reserved for the elitists who are willing to pay to avoid contact with commoners .
Oh! Weep for the Hoi Polloi!
__________________
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 01:16 AM   #39
Senior Member
 
Name: Lyle
Trailer: Scamp 13
None
Posts: 527
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
Fees to enter or use publicly funded state parks, campgrounds,and trails, discriminate against those low income families who work all week and have little left over for recreation only to find public areas reserved for the elitists who are willing to pay to avoid contact with commoners .
Oh! Weep for the Hoi Polloi!
Actually, here in Michigan, no tax money goes to support the State Parks. They now subsist on a grossly underfunded endowment (supposed to be $800 million when fully funded, is currently at about $150 million), and the many exorbitant fees, plus any other funds they can find on their own. Hence we have an $8 campground reservation fee (non-refundable) ($10 if you make your reservation over the phone), a $10 reservation cancellation or modification fee, and for a no-show you are charged the $10 cancellation fee, plus the first night's campground fee (also remember the original reservation fee is non-refundable).

OK, this was just to make your reservation, now you arrive at the park:

$6/day entrance fee ($8 for non-residents)
If you have a towed vehicle behind you motor home, another $6/day
Bring along any off-road vehicle: $16.25 each/day
Snowmobiles: $25 each/day

Ok, you made it to the Campground, fees are ALMOST done:

Rustic: $10-$14/night (no showers, vault toilets, hand water pump)
Semi-modern: $16-$18 (50 or 30 amp service, MAYBE showers and toilets)
Modern sites: $16 - $27 (50 amp, showers and toilets)
Premium Modern sites: $28 - $29/night (same as Modern site, but a nice location)
Full-hookup: $29 - $33

So, how many nights you want to stay here in Michigan? You though the Airlines nickle and dime you to death.

I find these charges disgusting and embarrassing.
__________________
LyleB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 05:57 AM   #40
Raz
Senior Member
 
Raz's Avatar
 
Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Posts: 4,062
I suspect most state park systems are self funded, and run by a political appointee who has never used the facilities they manage.
__________________
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 06:32 AM   #41
Senior Member
 
Name: Jack L
Trailer: Bigfoot B-17 CB
Washington
Posts: 1,226
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I resent paying near motel rates to stay in taxpayer supported state parks, and I seldom do so unless there is a fiberglass gathering event which necessitates it. Especially the surcharges for out of state plated vehicles, the occupants of which bring millions of tourist dollars into the state and local coffers.
Fees to enter or use publicly funded state parks, campgrounds,and trails, discriminate against those low income families who work all week and have little left over for recreation only to find public areas reserved for the elitists who are willing to pay to avoid contact with commoners .
Oh! Weep for the Hoi Polloi!
Lately the motels I have stayed in have cost well north of $100 and believe me, they were far from fancy.
__________________
Jack L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 07:04 AM   #42
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 5,560
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd View Post
I resent paying near motel rates to stay in taxpayer supported state parks, and I seldom do so unless there is a fiberglass gathering event which necessitates it. Especially the surcharges for out of state plated vehicles, the occupants of which bring millions of tourist dollars into the state and local coffers.
Fees to enter or use publicly funded state parks, campgrounds,and trails, discriminate against those low income families who work all week and have little left over for recreation only to find public areas reserved for the elitists who are willing to pay to avoid contact with commoners .
Oh! Weep for the Hoi Polloi!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyleB View Post
Actually, here in Michigan, no tax money goes to support the State Parks. They now subsist on a grossly underfunded endowment (supposed to be $800 million when fully funded, is currently at about $150 million), and the many exorbitant fees, plus any other funds they can find on their own...
When they say "self-funded, no taxpayer dollars," they usually mean no on-going funds for operations. Who paid for the initial development of the park? Lyle, where is Michigan's endowment coming from? And more important, who owns the land itself?

Demand for access to parks is up, driven by a generation of relatively well-heeled and longer-lived retirees. Development of new parks and expansion of existing parks is down due to a general reluctance to use tax dollars to build them at a time when roads and other critical infrastructure are crumbling.

A motel can be constructed on a few acres of semi-urban land, usually with utilities nearby. A state park is constructed on hundreds, or thousands, of acres of prime recreational land. Bringing in utilities alone could cost as much as a motel. I guess one difference is the "maids" are volunteer campground hosts...

In terms of real costs, state parks should probably be priced higher than a motel. Who pays how much of that cost is a tricky political decision influenced by powerful special interests- and the politics in every state is different.

I'm at least grateful there are options: 50 states, federal parks and lands, private campgrounds, county and local options, not to mention ten provinces and three territories,... Oh, and Walmart...
__________________

__________________
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Import fees in Canada? andix Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners 6 07-27-2013 05:35 PM
Blackwater River State Park and State Forest Ray N Camping, Campout Reports 10 11-13-2011 06:53 PM
US Customs fees Sierra Steve General Chat 6 11-12-2011 07:02 PM
California Pickup Weight Fees Steve Dunkel Money Matters 7 05-25-2010 07:48 PM
Oregon State Park Fees to Rise in 2010 Donna D. General Chat 7 10-07-2009 02:26 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:33 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.