Step 2 completed - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2018, 07:15 AM   #1

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Step 2 completed

A quick review for those who have followed, offered advice, and encouragement, and 4 1/2 years on this forum researching and planning , I am ready to purchase my travel trailer. I am waiting for the winter rates - one of the numerous tips I have picked up on here.
In order to be able to retire and afford to do some travelling in a small travel trailer, I knew I had to get a couple things taken care of - #1 a reliable tow vehicle; I purchased my 2011 low mileage Silverado truck, and #2 buy a small house: and I'm currently in process of moving in after a couple months of renovations. I paid cash for both, so I can retire on a modest pension without any monthly bills other than living expenses. Both HUGE accomplishment for me.
I envisioned full timing for a year when I retire next spring from teaching high school. Honest reflection convinced me that I am not cut out for het nomad life on a full time basis. I would miss family and friends too much, and as a bachelor travelling alone, I know I would get lonely and bored. I have decided that I am more cut out for 1-2 month adventures, besides the occasional extended weekend trips closer to home.
Another change after serious considerations; I've backed off of purchasing a "Cadillac" model that would serve as an apartment on wheels with all the luxuries of home, including the necessity of a trailer to accommodate my 6'5" frame. Bottom line; I can't justify $20-40K for a "toy".
So I am now ready for the final step; "the purchase". I WILL take advantage of the winter discounts and buy something under $10K. I realize that all I really need for my month long excursion is a bed on wheels. Eliminating the need for a min 6'5" interior height allows so many more options. I can adjust to stooping over in the trailer, and realize I will actually spend very little time in the trailer except for sleeping. My living room will be outside at camp.
I have received so much advice on here - I recently went thru some of the posts I started and fell like I have done all the due diligence I can possibly do. Now it time for experience learning.
I'll be keeping my eyes on every trailer in my price range this winter. I'm nervous still, I am not mechanical at all. Reread a thread on what to look for in used trailers. Great advice from members here. Still I recently got took on buying a used riding lawnmower - a real piece of crap. Now I am really nervous about the same thing happening with a trailer. I'm looking for a 13-16', something along the lines of a used scamp or casita. I am stil lsold on the fiberglass trailers.
Wish me luck. I am so looking forward to hitting the road next summer/.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 07:40 AM   #2

Name: Dave
Trailer: 2013Escape 21
Iowa
Hi Mark
It sounds like you have a good plan and a good start on your future endeavors. I had a good looking riding mower when I bought another mover 6 years ago. Good looking and running, It was, however it had a lot of wear and tear on it. I did not feel right selling it to someone because I knew it might soon let them down. A couple weeks ago I gave it to a friend with full disclosure. He’s very mechanically inclined and happy to get it. Point being, it’s often easy to make things look good when they are really not in good shape. So when you buy your camper, take your time, and closely check off items from the examination checklist. If you can lean on a friend to help you look at a prospective unit over who has experience, you might want to consider that route too. Walk the floor without shoes on, if there are soft spots you’ll find them. Best of luck in your future plans.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #3

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Since you bought a truck, consider a Casita 17 rather than a 16. We have a SD17 that we bought used from friends. We like the fact that it has the flat door and screen door rather than the curved door of the 16. We have a custom mattress in the rear and that also leaves us the side dinette to sit at. And of course the bathroom is a nice feature. I'm 6 foot and after whacking my head in the doorway a few times I remember to duck going in and out. We still have our Uhaul 13 that gets occasional use, but the Casita is a way better trailer for longer term use. The last few years we have been snowbirds, spending 4 months in the Casita. Awning and screen room (Eureka Northern Breeze) that has flaps to close it in make for plenty of space.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:12 AM   #4

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry

Great plan! It's good to know yourself. Late summer and fall is a great time to be trailer shopping. Avoid the spring feeding frenzy!

Best wishes moving forward!
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 08:23 AM   #5

Name: Mark
Trailer: currently shopping
Missouri
Agree Jon, starting to see more models in my price range.
Missouri Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 10:58 AM   #6

Name: Tom
Trailer: Casita Liberty
Missouri
Mark,

I am not sure if my first message went through. My name it Tom and I live in Eldon, Missouri. We are getting ready to list our 2008 Casita Spirit Deluxe on various sites for $11,500. We are the second owners and you will find our camper to be well maintained. If you are interested, you may call me at 573-280-7074.

Thanks,

Tom
tburditt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:28 AM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Registry
Mark, one of the reasons for the lower winter prices is that at the end of the camping season, some people realize they want to sell but will have to winterize their trailers and maybe even pay for storage while they wait to sell in the spring. It seems like those folks would be selling just after their final fling to avoid the cost and work. That would bump up the dates to after Labor Day (or July 4th!) through the end of the year, so keep your eyes peeled starting now!
Ruth C. is offline   Reply With Quote