Steve Jobs R.I.P. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 10-05-2011, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Steve Jobs R.I.P.

apple.com

He was a Genius,Sometimes an Evil Genius(Kidding) but changed our lives for sure.

Live for Today.

Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:42 PM   #2

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
amen, agree completely
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft U-Haul VT
Registry
He changed my life. Once I got past my computer fear when we got our Apple IIC, I went on and got a Ph.D. in Computer Technology with almost all my work done on Macs. I have been messing with an iPad for the first time tonight, looking at software that just might make the iPad acceptable to me as a travel technology tool.

CindyL
CindyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 10:15 AM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
To me as a fiberglass trailer owner he was the space saving god and will be missed!

I have lots to thank him for! I dont need to pack a big boom box and thousands of CDs - instead I can put it all (and way more) on an Ipod taking up only 4" x2 1/2"x1/4" of space.

No need to pack a computer to stay in touch with family via email or to search the web for the next place to camp or pack a small camera for those quick shoots or a gps if I get lost, dont need to carry a level or a flash light, no need to carry books to ID birds & plants - he covered all that and way more on 4 1/2' x 2 1/4 x 1/4" phone.

He will be missed!

My fav quote:

"Almost everything–all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure–these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.” –
Steve Jobs’ Stanford Commencement Address
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Very thoughtful. Life is short, Live it fully.

Thanks Carol, we all need to be reminded.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 10:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
I'll think of Steve Jobs every time I survive a near-miss from an idiot driver with an i-phone stuck in his ear. There are downsides to aggressively marketed techno-toys.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 1983 13 ft Scamp
Registry
Need more people like this with a creative mind.
Kevin K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #8

Trailer: Aliner
My first computer was a little MacIntosh with the floppy disks. I learned to do technical drawings on it.

I loved my Mac and loved the mind that created such an intuitive, user friendly, fun little computer that opened up a whole new world to me.

Thanks, Steve. RIP.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2011, 05:56 PM   #9

Name: Michael
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B25RQ
BC
In fairness to responsible drivers Jack, and I believe you meant it tongue in cheek, it's the idiot driver and how they use the device, right?

Regarding Mr. Jobs we should all be mindful of the billions of dollars Apple injects into the world economy with the building, selling and servicing of Apple devices.

While it's true that some work is outsourced, again be mindful of all the domestic jobs that support technology.

The United States government had an operating cash balance of $73.8 billion at the end of the day July 27th. Apple's last earnings report showed that the company had $76.2 billion in cash and marketable securities at the end of June.

I believe the positive impact that Apple Computer has on our economies is underrated. All thanks to Mr. Steve Jobs and his vision.

mike_bc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Born out of Wedlock,
Given up for adoption,
Dropped out of college,
Changed the World.
LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:33 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
What Guy Kawasaki learned from Jobs.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20117575-37/what-i-learned-from-steve-jobs/

Guy lists 12 learned points from Steve Jobs. The Experts would not necessarily agree. I like point #2 the most;

“2. Customers cannot tell you what they need “Apple market research” is an oxymoron. The Apple focus group was the right hemisphere of Steve’s brain talking to the left one. If you ask customers what they want, they will tell you, “Better, faster, and cheaper”—that is, better sameness, not revolutionary change. They can describe their desires only in terms of what they are already using—around the time of the introduction of Macintosh, all that people said they wanted was a better, faster, and cheaper MS-DOS machine. The richest vein for tech startups is creating the product that you want to use—that’s what Steve and Woz did.”

George.
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #12

Name: Andy
Trailer: 1979 Ventura 13'
Alberta
We need to encourage these brilliant people and free up academics. Ask yourself why people like Steve Jobs drop out of college. There are too many tenured profs teaching in absoulutes and not creative free thinking. Think how much further ahead we'd be if ideas were encouraged and not killed by those who "know better". I'm thankful that Mr. Jobs and Bill Gates saw fit to leave college to persue their dreams. Imagine the ones that have been lost to "you can't do that, it's imposible" type of encouragement.
AndyGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #13

Name: Bob Ruggles
Trailer: 2015 Escape
Michigan
Unfortunately I'm not a free thinker or innovative. Good thing those people are around. Also a good thing the patent office wasn't closed a bit over 100 years ago because "there isn't anything more to invent." Otherwise we wouldn't have all these wonderful things. Age: life is very short even if you live to a hundred.
rgrugg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:31 AM   #14

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyGee View Post
We need to encourage these brilliant people and free up academics. Ask yourself why people like Steve Jobs drop out of college. There are too many tenured profs teaching in absoulutes and not creative free thinking. Think how much further ahead we'd be if ideas were encouraged and not killed by those who "know better". I'm thankful that Mr. Jobs and Bill Gates saw fit to leave college to persue their dreams. Imagine the ones that have been lost to "you can't do that, it's imposible" type of encouragement.
In reality Steve Jobs did not actually drop right out of collage. What he dropped out of was a degree program but he contiuned to attend collage for a number of years but only going to classes that intreasted him thus not obtaining a degree of any sorts. He also acknowledge that much of what he learned in collage athough he could not see at the time how he might use that information in the future did turn out to be useable in the future.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 11:51 AM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeR View Post
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20117575-37/what-i-learned-from-steve-jobs/

Guy lists 12 learned points from Steve Jobs. The Experts would not necessarily agree. I like point #2 the most;

“2. Customers cannot tell you what they need “Apple market research” is an oxymoron. The Apple focus group was the right hemisphere of Steve’s brain talking to the left one. If you ask customers what they want, they will tell you, “Better, faster, and cheaper”—that is, better sameness, not revolutionary change. They can describe their desires only in terms of what they are already using—around the time of the introduction of Macintosh, all that people said they wanted was a better, faster, and cheaper MS-DOS machine. The richest vein for tech startups is creating the product that you want to use—that’s what Steve and Woz did.”

George.
On a similar vein, Henry Ford was quoted as saying that "if I had asked the people what they wanted, they would have said 'a faster horse'"
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:04 PM   #16

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Invention

The process of Invention is extremely interesting. From somewhere you get a spark of an idea and recognize that it's possible to create something new, different or improved.

Often it is an amazing variant of something that already exists, like the Apple II computer, not the first computer by decades and not even the first small, affordable computer by years. Virtually all creators build on the successful and failed results of others; this in no way diminishes their achievements.

Very often when you present your invention to someone not part of the process, the response flashes between the ignorant and the naive.

Rarely can others understand the creative drive or imagine the market need.

Creative people somehow have freed themselves from the "can't be done", absolved themselves from "the fear of failure" and rarely worry about "the risk of losing it all". They are in love with what they do in the deepest sense. Their days, nights and even dreams are in the creative mode, forever bonded to seeking new approaches and solutions.

The creators, big or small, successful or unsuccessful, deserve to be honored more than they are.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 02:24 PM   #17

Trailer: Aliner
That post was pure poetry, Norm.
Sharon G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot Rear Bed
Triz

For those interested in invention there is a reasonably new in US technology of structured invention imported from Russia to US in 1993, after the collapse of the Soviet Union. The base of this technology is that for a problem in one domain a solution can likely be found in another domain from the past. A problem, a current problem has to be identify to extreme detail and then solution can often be found using TRIZ. This invention technology is spreading worldwide. An example of this multidomain solution is: removing stems for bell peppers - 1945 patent, removing shells from sunflower seeds, shelling nuts – 1950 patent, splitting diamonds along microcracks – 1972 patent, all of them are based on the same pattern: “slow increase to high pressure then sudden release”

What Steve Jobs did was predicting a potential future problem for which finding a solution was just a good engineering. This jumping to a next curve is ingenious and it is rare. I still remember Steve Ballmer from Microsoft ridiculing the i-Phone for $500 in 2007.

George.

http://www.aitriz.org/articles/altshuller.pdf
The Altshuller Institute for TRIZ Studies - Home
GeorgeR is offline   Reply With Quote