Sticky/Stickies? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
I haven't been around long enough to figure this one out. I keep bumping into the words "Sticky," and "Stickies" in the forums. I figure it must be specific to fiberglass RVs, but other than bugs, not too much sticks to mine. I know somewhere in FGRV there is a glossery of helpful terms, but I can't seem to locate it today. So does anyone know the origin and use of Sticky?
David
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Nope not specific to Fiberglass RVs, but very specific to slabsided trailers. Most have been made with a wooden framework and either metal or fiberglass panels are screwed onto the frame.

Hence the "stick..." nomenclature.

Some manufacturers have recognized the problems with dry rot in the frame work and are now using metal... aluminum, etc. But we still call 'em all Stickies because they're not molded.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 1976 13 ft Scamp
My first thought was that you were referring to a type of post called a "sticky" which is one that always remains at the top of a thread. Probably derived from the generic name for a "post it note"in that it stays put.

Jonathan S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
A forum moderator might identify a forum topic thread as a "sticky" to keep it at the top of a forum so that it doesn't get lost. It might cover a topic or question that asked many times. For example, almost every fiberglass RV site has a gillion threads about what type of tire to use or answers to the question, "Can my XXXX vehicle tow a YYYY trailer?". These might qualify as good topic threads for a sticky since they'll be discussed hundreds of times. On a lot of the automotive forums you'll find stickies that list recalls and Technical Support Bulletins (TSBs) again because users are always looking for that kind of info.
Ed Felker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Quote:
I haven't been around long enough to figure this one out. I keep bumping into the words "Sticky," and "Stickies" in the forums. I figure it must be specific to fiberglass RVs, but other than bugs, not too much sticks to mine. I know somewhere in FGRV there is a glossery of helpful terms, but I can't seem to locate it today. So does anyone know the origin and use of Sticky?
David

David:

Stud construction of a house is referred to as "stick construction" and the resulting house as a "stick built" home---the sticks referring to the stud skeleton of the house. So a stick built trailer has the same type of constsruction. "Sticky" is, I think, used mostly by those who think fiberglass molded trailers are better.

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #6

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
STICKY!!!!

Click image for larger version

Name:	stickytick.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	243.9 KB
ID:	12450

Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:03 AM   #7

... after the construction responses above, I feel like Rosanna Anna Dan -- "Never mind!"
Old 04-03-2008, 09:11 AM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Ah, but Ed, you were correct too.

And as far as construction.. never mind is what I tell folks when they want to buy one!

and they weren't talking about my dog, Sticky?

Oh.
Never Mind.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM   #9

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Glad I asked! Makes sense now...even Sticky the dog. Thanks for clearing that up for me.
David
David Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:37 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Sticky: Stic-key "The bottom of your shoes, after walking on a newly resurfaced parking lot, .... before it has cured"

LSChilders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 10:53 AM   #11

Larry:

... or across your newly refinished hardwood floors -- don't ask how i MIGHT KNOW THIS.
Old 04-03-2008, 12:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Quote:
Stud construction of a house is referred to as "stick construction" and the resulting house as a "stick built" home---the sticks referring to the stud skeleton of the house. So a stick built trailer has the same type of constsruction. "Sticky" is, I think, used mostly by those who think fiberglass molded trailers are better.
The non-Molded FG world doesn't use the term because they mostly aren't aware there's any other way to do it. In their experience, all trailers have studs in the walls.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 02:18 PM   #13

Or how the bottoms of your shoes feel after going to a walk-in-theatre and stepping in puddles of soda pop! But that's okay, the spilled popcorn provides good traction.....
Old 04-03-2008, 03:31 PM   #14

Trailer: 1999 Scamp 16 ft ('The Pod')
Angry

Quote:
Or how the bottoms of your shoes feel after going to a walk-in-theatre and stepping in puddles of soda pop! But that's okay, the spilled popcorn provides good traction.....
And the carelessly discarded chewing gum adds another layer of traction for the popcorn!
Vivian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 05:53 PM   #15

Quote:
And the carelessly discarded chewing gum adds another layer of traction for the popcorn!
Oh yes, that's my all time favorite. Because I typically don't notice it until after I've walked across the carpeting at home I much prefer to use the ice for my drink rather than to get the chewing gum out of the carpet.
Old 04-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #16

Trailer: Summit Weekend Refuge
Quote:
The non-Molded FG world doesn't use the term because they mostly aren't aware there's any other way to do it. In their experience, all trailers have studs in the walls.

Pete:

If you check my posting carefully, you will see that there was no pejoritive in it. I just mentioned the way I think the term is frequently used. As a current owner of a "sticky" who will possibly swap it one of thesed days before long for a molded fiberglass one, I assure that at least one "sticky" owner is aware of them and interested in them!

Seems to me that the real issue is the gargantuan rolling palaces that swoosh past us on the road as they suck down all the oil reserves versus the "small is beautiful" crowd. On our camping trips, we run into many other folks who camp with Sun Finders, Cikira Cruisers, popups, etc, etc. But the mainstream trailering forums and publications generally ignore them---as well as the molded fiberglass ones.

So---no slights intended with my post, and if anyone took exception to it, please accept my apology.

Best,

Art
Art Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 01:40 PM   #17

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Art, I was just pointing out why it's more of an in-house term for us than most RVer's. Thinking about it, pop-up folks might call them stickies also because they are Hinged-Tubies

I'm not bothered by Bulgemobiles much because I stay off the SuperSlabs, camp in rustic no-hook up CGs and camp near the tenters in the small spots.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote