Still alive and well - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 01-22-2017, 09:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983
Smile Still alive and well

Hididdilyho fiberglasserino's Been quite a while since I popped onto this forum, just thought I'd update that I have been living in Oregon since 2010, and still have the 83' Scamp. She's getting a bit of a make over this summer, going to strip it down inside, tighten up screws inside and what not, make sure all the repairs she needs are completed, and going to paint the lower portion which is brown right now, bright red to match our tow vehicle. It will look like a fish bobber, LOL, but I like the idea of being matchy with the car, and fresh for the road trip we have planned for the fall of 2017. Looks like we might be moving back to TX, so if things continue to work out that way, we'll be hitching up and crossing back with the Scamp in tow, camping along the way. I'll post some updated pics once I get the work started. Its nothing but rain/cold winter right now, so we have time to make plans. I hope everyone here is having a fantastic 2017 so far! Cheers!
April Wilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 09:46 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
April, welcome back. That bobber look could be your next glamping theme. Oregon has so many beautiful camping spots that we've enjoyed, but have never camped in Texas. Hope all goes well with the redo, and don't forget pictures.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:43 AM   #3

Smile

Thanks for the warm welcome back David B. I am looking forward to sprucing things up. I will be sure to grab pics and maybe even a vid or two as we do the work. Here is a compilation of the work we did in 2009.
Old 01-23-2017, 10:44 AM   #4

Name: sharon
Trailer: Scamp
Virginia
wow! beautiful work!
sharon_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 12:36 PM   #5

Smile

Much appreciated Sharon b
Old 01-23-2017, 04:52 PM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
Quote:
Originally Posted by April Wilcox View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome back David B. I am looking forward to sprucing things up. I will be sure to grab pics and maybe even a vid or two as we do the work. Here is a compilation of the work we did in 2009.
April

I notice there are several "X" 's on your fabric in your trailer. Any connection to Antigonish, NS ??
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Welcome back

I see you have winter also (i.e. SNOW)..I was out in Vancouver WA last week just 20 minutes from Portland OR and it was snow covered I was shocked.

(2) Big Green Eggs for cooking..(1) Egg for camping
BillE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:44 PM   #8

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by panhead_mike View Post
April

I notice there are several "X" 's on your fabric in your trailer. Any connection to Antigonish, NS ??
Hey there, well I can't say where the fabric came from, those were the cushions that were in the trailer when we bought it in Pensacola, FL. I think the previous owners had been trying to renovate it and for some reason decided to sell it. It was pretty bare bones when we got it, had the nice cushions, some curtains and a new paint job, nothing fancy.

On a side note, we discovered that we could make our barely full size bed that made us sleep like sardines, into an almost queen size bed by simply adding an extension to the gap between the closet and the sink. That became a place to put our legs, so we could sleep facing the other direction with our heads by the back window, and have a TON of elbow room, and no longer feel like we are crammed in. I discovered our 2 padded musician benches that fold down flat were just the right height, and work great to support the extension, and also can be used as extra seating or just folded down and stored under the bed, out of the way. It was one of those ah-ha moments we wished we had discovered years ago. Our sleep has improved dramatically since figuring this out.

I just completed a cushion that is 4" foam on top of a nice 3/4" finished piece of wood. Covered it with the curtains that were in the trailer when we bough it.
tomorrow I am cutting out a new memory foam topper to replace the old bed we were using that is just getting too worn out. I'll get more pics and post them as things move along.

Old 01-27-2017, 06:12 AM   #9

Trailer: !977 KingsleyGMC, 1968 Bailey Mikado
Nova Scotia
[QUOTE=April Wilcox;624888]Hey there, well I can't say where the fabric came from, those were the cushions that were in the trailer when we bought it in Pensacola, FL. I think the previous owners had been trying to ....

I was just wondering:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St._Fr...versity#X-Ring
panhead_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 12:14 PM   #10

We are starting a new youtube channel where I will be posting updates on our trailer and vlogging about our adventures on the road. You can see it all here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJr...gJTphx9hj4UjGg

Old 02-03-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
FYI, I had plywood inside the cushion covers of a 4 year old trailer I bought (and later sold). The Plywood was tearing holes in the fabric at the corners from the bouncing around during travel. Preventive measures might prolong the covers.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Magee View Post
FYI, I had plywood inside the cushion covers of a 4 year old trailer I bought (and later sold). The Plywood was tearing holes in the fabric at the corners from the bouncing around during travel. Preventive measures might prolong the covers.
thanks for the heads up. The wood I used was already finished on the edges, rounded out and smooth, like a large cutting board. One of the reasons I chose that piece of wood. Of course you wouldn't know that, but if I had used raw plywood, I would have had to sand it down to keep the edges from tearing the fabric. Good looking out, it might save someone else the hassle, or any future builds.