Still seeking options advice - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 09-19-2011, 05:22 PM   #15

Name: Bill
Trailer: Lil Snoozy / Jeep Cherokee
Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A waste water tank doesn't weigh very much and to me worth having. Water has to go somewhere. Lots of places require dispersement or dumping at designated dumps. Constantly empyting a bucket is a PITA.
Thank you for the insight. I just changed my mind again. Now I will put a waste tank on my "To Get" list

Old 09-19-2011, 05:34 PM   #16

Pennsylvania
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
I do not plan on getting brakes. My goal is to keep this trailer dry weight under 1200#.

Bill,
I'm not sure why weight is so important. Is it a tow vehicle issue?

To me brakes would be first on my list of must haves. It is the one part of a trailer that can rescue a failing situation. As well it takes braking load off your tow vehicle, something you'll appreciate going down a long grade.

Scamp 13's are light enough to be towed by almost any vehicle, there are plenty of examples of that on this site. At one time I thought weight was the critical trailer factor in towing. I have learned that frontal area and shape are more important, at least in terms of miles per gallon. (Miles per gallon, for any one tow vehicle and any one driver, are a measure of the trailer's load on the tow vehicle.)

As to specific options, I am of the opinion that each of us has a traveling/camping style. As a result trailers can be configured to meet that style. In reality it is something that can be changed any time if you're handy and have time on your hands. We like the two way fridge because it supports off grid camping more readily than an all electric soultion. We have had an all electric fridge and like it's storage capacity.

In general I would buy the options that you're unsure about, like a gray tank.

As to buying new to get low weight, it's awfully easy to remove the weight items you think you don't want like a battery, water heater, air conditioner, awning. In general if I were you I'd buy a used unit and remove what I didn't want.

Good luck in your search,
One concern I have with weight is not the vehicles ability to tow (think about cars towing campers in the 1930s tow weight ratios) but instead the manufacturers not tow rating vehicles realistically. For example, I could be wrong, but I think a CRV has a tow rating of 1500 lbs. Much less than it's ability to tow. But, if you are towing 2000lbs. with a CRV and have an accident, you are towing overweight and would be vulnerable to blame regardless of who was at fault. Just thinking like a lawyer.

Old 09-19-2011, 05:36 PM   #17

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
A waste water tank doesn't weigh very much and to me worth having. Water has to go somewhere. Lots of places require dispersement or dumping at designated dumps. Constantly empyting a bucket is a PITA.
Not to mention the bugs it can attract and the fact some campgrounds will not let you have an exposed outside holding system.
Old 09-19-2011, 05:39 PM   #18

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thank you to everyone that responded. Lot's of good information I could not have gotten without your help!
Old 09-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #19

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill in Pittsburgh View Post
One concern I have with weight is not the vehicles ability to tow (think about cars towing campers in the 1930s tow weight ratios) but instead the manufacturers not tow rating vehicles realistically. For example, I could be wrong, but I think a CRV has a tow rating of 1500 lbs. Much less than it's ability to tow. But, if you are towing 2000lbs. with a CRV and have an accident, you are towing overweight and would be vulnerable to blame regardless of who was at fault. Just thinking like a lawyer.
Personally think that if staying within the legal tow rate is of concern you may really want to reconsider your idea of going with the Scamp delux as you may be hard pressed to get it or keep it under 1500lbs. Also wonder what the tongue rating on your CRV is as the trailer you are considering will be a bit heavy in that regard as well if you go with all the storage they offer.

Take a look at the Real World Trailer weight thread under general chat - 3 - 13' Standard Scamps listed and they range is between 1620lbs to 1950lbs and tongue weights are 200lbs to 240lbs. The delux will right out of the box weigh more than a standard due to the wood used.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:19 AM   #20

Name: John
Trailer: 16' Casita
California
Send a message via AIM to Perry J Send a message via Yahoo to Perry J
Norm,
Your right about frontal area.
I move a 15' sticky about 200 miles last month for a friend.
It was taller than an egg and had a square, flat front.
My mpg was 16.5 towing the trailer.
John
Old 09-20-2011, 03:35 PM   #21

Pennsylvania
Registry
Thank You to everyone that responded. I will now consider a waste water holding tank, brakes with a small battery, and a bag awning rather than the Scamp Factory Awning (though I know little about bag awnings).
Old 09-25-2013, 10:11 AM   #22

Name: Harry
Trailer: 7/24/13...ordered a 2014 13 ft Scamp w/Shower/Toilet
Alabama
Hi Bill. I ordered a 13 ft Scamp 2014, which will be delivered soon. I liked Paul's comments except for the bed. The bed is the same in the delux and standard in the new ones. I was going to order a delux, but when I sat down and looked at the price difference, I went with the standard with more options. Regardless of what you hear, the Scamp reps say the delux wood adds about $100 lbs...that's all. Get what YOU want, but like Paul said, if you are unsure...get it. I took Donnd D's advice and told them not to install the front waste tube. I'll install a longer one under the back bumper. You won't find it in the options, but you can also get a porch light on the driver side along with over your propane. If you want the crank out windows, you need to tell them. Best of luck to you!