Still Thinking - Fiberglass RV

Old 12-15-2016, 07:30 AM   #1

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Starcraft
Vermont
Still Thinking

I've been looking at FB RV's for the past 8 years or so for my wife Fran and myself and had decided that a 16 foot egg was the way to go. That is, until our disabled son moved in with us in September and we welcomed a 50+ pound Blue Lacy/Black Lab rescue dog into our home. We vacated the second floor of our house to make room for him and set him up in his own apartment. I installed a wall bed in the living room which my wife and I both think is a great improvement over the mattress and box spring combination we had in our second floor bedroom. My wife is very happy she no longer has to deal with the stairs. I bought an older F-150 because my wife Fran was interested in a slide-in truck camper. We looked at and rejected slide-ins as too difficult for her to climb into and out of bed and also looked at and rejected a very nice Scamp 19 (anybody within a few hours of southern VT should go and take a look) that a forum member in VT has for sale because she could not comfortably manage the stairs up to the sleeping loft. I had pretty much given up the idea of buying a 16 or 17 foot egg and started looking at larger conventional travel trailers. Because the larger trailers at over nine feet in height are not allowed into some of our favorite camping sites, I resigned myself to buying another pop up. I started looking at minivans as a TV because I could remove the rear seat, keep one of the two chairs in the second row for our son and install a bunk, probably along the left side of the cargo area behind the driver. Our son could have his own space to sleep and we could get a cassette toilet for his comfort and convenience. I started to shy away from a minivan as a TV because of the combined weight of three adults, a dog and a larger egg trailer. Now I'm thinking a smaller egg like a 13 foot Scamp or Casita might work better with a seven or eight passenger minivan. To help prevent cabin fever I am thinking of using our 10 X 10 EZ-Up shelter. I saved the screen walls from an old Chinese made gazebo and found they fit the EZ-Up like they were made for it.

Old 12-15-2016, 10:50 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Welcome, Kevine and Fran!

Eight years? Time to stop thinking and start camping!

One other forum member has posted about her accommodations to include a disabled brother. She ended up pretty much the same place you did- van and 13' Scamp- except she ended up with a used, full-sized Chevy raised roof handicap van, 4.3L V6. Nice set-up. That combo would allow for a larger trailer if you wanted. With a minivan and your full crew, I agree that a 13'er is probably the better choice.

Best wishes!

Old 12-15-2016, 11:21 AM   #3

Name: Kevin
Trailer: Starcraft
Vermont
We have been camping, we spent the last 21 years using pop ups. We have had four of them so far. A handicap V6 van sounds like a good idea.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:23 AM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
I am assuming you will want a bathroom and with people having mobility issues I would think you would be happier to have a 16 footer so you can have a bathroom, a dedicated bed and a dining area. Once you start having mobility issues making up the bed everyday and converting it back to a table is such a chore. If you forgo the bathroom and deal with a porta potty the the front couch can be converted to a drop down bed and a 2 seat dining area. This is what we have done with our 13 foot trailer. No bathroom and use a port a potty. I totally hated the raise and lower the table chore. We can lower the front smaller table and make a bed but we usually don't unless we want more sleeping space.
Old 12-15-2016, 11:34 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
We have been camping, we spent the last 21 years using pop ups. We have had four of them so far. A handicap V6 van sounds like a good idea.
I found a picture of the rig:

Name:   Van.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  20.9 KB

The owner is CampyTime. You might send her a PM and you could share experiences.
Old 12-21-2016, 12:19 PM   #6

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp
California
Registry
Just an FYI example. I spoke with the guy towing this Scamp and he said it's just a spare bedroom when his son's family is along on the trip.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Fiberglass RV mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
1482347866502.jpg