Still waiting, need info - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-22-2019, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: Peggy
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Still waiting, need info

Hello all,
I am still patiently (?) waiting to purchase my first FG trailer. Hopefully, will happen within the next year. My question: how much does insurance and taxes on a Casita usually run? I understand it will vary by state, but in general? BTW, I am in South Carolina. Thanks in advance!
phopesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:30 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
Insurance

Quote:
Originally Posted by phopesc View Post
Hello all,
I am still patiently (?) waiting to purchase my first FG trailer. Hopefully, will happen within the next year. My question: how much does insurance and taxes on a Casita usually run? I understand it will vary by state, but in general? BTW, I am in South Carolina. Thanks in advance!
We are in Florida an have 2014 casita 17 insured with St Farm. $185.00 full coverage. When you buy it you pay of course the sales tax for your area.
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Looks like there is no sales tax but they invented a new way to pick your pockets in South Carolina called the Infrastructure Maintenance Fee (IMF). Its 5% of the purchase price up to $500 max. See: New Fee Beginning July 1, 2017

Then there is annual property tax apparently (IDK) and just like here in North Carolina, the tax rate depends on what county you are in. The rate (not the dollar amount) might be the same as the rate on your vehicle.

As for insurance, that can be as little or as much as you want (as long as there is no lien from a loan on the camper, which would likely require a certain minimum coverage). It depends on many factors which are unique to each person, so call your agent for details. Or go to the Progressive web site and get an instant quote. Last time I looked they make it easy to vary your coverage and instantly see the premium cost change.

By the way, I recently moved to a different county in NC, two counties away, and my premium dropped about 20% with no other changes, so as you see... the cost depends on many factors, level of coverage, claim history, moon phase, and some other magical variables no one other than your agent can fathom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
We are in Florida an have 2104 casita 17 insured with St Farm. $185.00 full coverage. ...
"Full coverage" is as well defined as "tow package." Its basically a meaningless expression. How about liability coverage if someone is hurt in your camper? Do you have that? How much? $1,000 per occurrence, $1,000,000*? Unlimited? Full coverage implies no limits but there is no such policy. And liability coverage limit is only one factor... there are hundreds... Thats why comparing cost for insurance is so problematic.

*... FYI.. this is the limit of my liability coverage. I also had full replacement cost coverage on the Scamp for the first 4 years of its life, as well as some other enhancements (but not break down coverage)... My premium ranged from about $325 to $385, and this year I lowered some coverage so its $285.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:11 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: Casita 17
Florida
I didn't know we were in court. Next time I will prepare and present a complete brief with a Dunn&Bradstreet breakdown instead of a meaningless expression. In my case the insurance matches coverage with my truck. I hope this answer doesn't offend anyone in the courtroom your honor.
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
I didn't know we were in court. Next time I will prepare and present a complete brief with a Dunn&Bradstreet breakdown instead of a meaningless expression.

Well, if you are trying to be helpful, you need to provide the details of your coverage, and even that cost will vary depending where you live and even your credit rating.
I have $3 million liability on my trailer and $5 million liability on my vehicle.
Old 08-22-2019, 01:57 PM   #6

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
I didn't know we were in court. Next time I will prepare and present a complete brief with a Dunn&Bradstreet breakdown instead of a meaningless expression. In my case the insurance matches coverage with my truck. I hope this answer doesn't offend anyone in the courtroom your honor.

Its nothing personal about your use of the term so please dont take it personally. It was to point out that coverage and cost varies. Just because one person feels fully covered does not mean that anyone else will at the same level. Also requiring consideration is risk tolerance, assets needing to be protected from liability claims, market value of the trailer and contents, and more. Thats the takeaway.

I wonder what coverage you have that "matches coverage with my truck." My tow vehicle has little to do with my supplemental camper policy except that the auto policy gives me basic coverage on the trailer when it is being towed, and for some people that is enough and no other policy is needed for them to feel covered. My camper policy is more for all the times it is not being towed - when it can be damaged by hail, have a tree fall on it, catch fire, have property stolen from it, etc. Some people add break down coverage and even coverage to pay for motel rooms and travel if they get stranded... its a personal decision and there are all sorts of levels of "full coverage" so we end up comparing apples and oranges.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:38 PM   #7

Name: Peggy
Trailer: In the market
South Carolina
Smile Still looking

Thanks, guys for the answers and the advice. I know from recently enrolling in Medicare that all insurance costs vary widely from state to state and county to county. As do taxes! I will have to trade my Subaru Crosstrex for a vehicle that can tow a Casita, but that is another story! I have had this dream of roaming the country for about 6 years now, but something always comes up to stop it. SIGH, one day....................
Peggy
phopesc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 02:49 PM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Don’t wait. Life is short. I’m not delaying anything anymore.

To get accurate rates just check with your insurance agent. SC has personal property tax charge which can be substantial.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 03:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Check With the Good Sam club.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:08 AM   #10

Name: Pete
Trailer: U-Haul 1986 -- got it 7/2013
Virginia
Registry
Don't forget personal property tax. In Virginia, it varies county-to-county. It's based on the book value of whatever you own, car, trailer, boat, plane, you-name-it. It adds up.
Pete Hein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 06:44 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita Patriot
Registry
i live in sc also. while the property tax can be avoided by being vague when you apply for a tag (don't mention that is has a bathroom and kitchen unless you're asked). with my previous 13' casita they saw the size and just gave me one of those permanent tags. when i migrated up to a 16' version they asked and i told the truth and my tags are now annual with property taxes included in the renewal fees. one thing you can do is claim the trailer as a "second home" and receive a tax reduction. this, however, works only if you don't already have a second home. as far as insurance is concerned you just have to shop around for rates that can vary wildly from company to company. the insurance world is filled with potential pitfalls regarding how the trailer is valued and what they'll pay (or not pay). it's important to read all that gibberish in the policy and get someone to explain it to you if you become as confused as i and many others do. good luck!

p@
patrick crawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:11 AM   #12
vin

Name: vince
Trailer: escape
Georgia
If anyone qualifies for USAA insurance, check them out.
vin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 10:42 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: 2019 Oliver Elite II
Texas
This insurance question is hard to answer as each state has there own set of laws and regulations so premiums can be all over the place. Don't let one person that is quoting low premiums on here think that that is the norm, it probably isn't, you need to do your leg work and checkout the insurance for yourself. Visit an agent, if you have to ask the questions you asked you need an agent to explain coverage's to you.

trainman
trainman is offline   Reply With Quote