Registry
Wheel lock?

Old 06-11-2014, 01:55 PM   #16

Name: Tim
Trailer: Aliner folding & Weekend Warrior toy hauler
Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filbert V. View Post
I don't know why anyone would want to steal a camping trailer....
I've read they make great meth labs. If used to cook meth it becomes a haz-mat site and I wouldn't want it back.

1998 Ford E150 pulling a 2006 Weekend Warrior toy hauler = 8 MPG
beemerphile1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 PM   #17

Name: Dale
Trailer: 2010 EggCamper; 2002 Highlander 3.0L; 2017 Escape 21'; 2016 F-150 5.0L Fx4
Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Trailers have been stolen-to-order for use as hunting and vacation cabins in the deeeep woods, never to be seen again. Neighbors in those parts "Don't Ask, Don't Tell". Is there a lot of that kind of country in BC?(LOL)

Where's Sgt. Preston, King and Dudley Do-rite when you need them?
We live out in the sticks in-and-amongst a lot of private and commercially leased deer hunting property. In the Fall, when the leaves are off the trees, it's not uncommon to catch sight of a small camper setting way off out in the woods. Any curiosity to check a VIN number is quickly dampened by the thought of someone sitting inside (or up a nearby tree stand) with a high power rifle who might just shoot first then tell the judge he thought you were a deer. And he'd probably be back in the deer stand by morning light with the judge as a new hunting buddy. Well, it's probably not quite that bad - but you get the idea why a lot of country folk "don't ask, don't tell". Heck, the G-men are still busting moonshine stills every few months around here, and it's best for your health to not get caught trespassing on private property when there's mash boiling...
Old 06-11-2014, 02:06 PM   #18

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Remember, the trailer was stolen in Canada, different rules, different mindset (thankfully) fewer cowboys.....
Old 06-11-2014, 02:12 PM   #19

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
Really sorry to hear of your parents misfortune. Hope they get it safely back home. And the thieves come down with a reoccurring case of systemic poison ivy!

There have been discussions in the past on securing trailers. Generally speaking it comes down to how difficult can you make it. A battery operated 4 inch grinder with a cut off wheel can go through pretty much any lock or chain in a minute.

The options I recall are:
Secured location - fenced back yard, garage etc. can't get to it easily makes it harder to steal. Harder it appears to be to get to less interesting it is to a dishonest person.

Hitch lock - deters casual or impulse snatch and grab. Helps but won't stop a thief prepared with cutting tools or prevent flat bed winch.

Tire locks - Cable or chain rims to axle or springs so they won't turn. Slows them down and if the thief is using a flat bed they may not have a grinder to cut the lock. There are also commercial tire locking devices.

Anchor to fixed object - Chain or cable axle to sunken concrete, fence post or other fixed object. Do not leave enough slack that the trailer can pick up speed and "yank" on the chain. That can pull off your axle. Slows them down, prevents winching onto flat bed without cutting tools.

Noise maker - cable lock a bunch of tin cans or other items to the axle with enough slack that they drag behind the trailer making noise.

Lo-Jack or other GPS tracking - won't prevent but may help recover.

My own thinking is making it so there is defense in layers is best. Thieves may get frustrated and leave if they keep running into an obstacle that is taking more time. Or it may increase the chances of someone spotting them.

I have had success putting a 100 yrd. target up full of bullet holes with "think honest" written on it with black magic marker. Don't know if it was the sign or just lucky but ....

This is also the time of year to be copying trailer for sale ads with prices on our older eggs as documentation of the real value for insurance if our camper is stolen. Insurance company may not want to pay what 20 year old trailer is worth without some documentation of market value.
Old 06-11-2014, 02:30 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Escape Trailers
Massachusetts
Denver Boot?

Wouldn't a Denver Boot on a trailer wheel slow thieves down?
Old 06-11-2014, 04:10 PM   #21

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Deep woods hunting camp is exactly what I thought of for a stolen unit. Must be lots of deep woods that far North! Very sorry for the loss, damn thieves.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:39 AM   #22

Name: Seth & Desiree
Trailer: 1987 Scamp 13'
California
We just got our 13' Scamp last week and a couple days later I had a "hitching post" made from steel tubing. Now the post will go in the ground (mounted in concrete like a fence post) with a hitch ball on it to which I will attach the trailer when not in use. Until I get the post in the ground I've got the Scamp locked around a big pine tree with some heavy duty cable locks, wheel lock, and hitch ball lock.

-Seth
Seth and Desiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #23

Name: Bob
Trailer: 1973 Hunter Compact II
California
Having a "Hitching Post" sounds like a good idea if only because it makes it difficult to pull the trailer forward and away. But it sounds like a bear of a problem for parking.

As I recall there was a movie title about hitch locks, cables etc..... let's see... was it "Gone in 30 Seconds"?

One might do what the highway department does to keep it's sign trailers from being stolen, they take the wheels off. Cheap and easy peasy, and you don't have weight or sun on the tires.....

I saw one trailer where the owner replaced the wheels with square aluminum plates, machined to fit on the drums, when parked at a storage yard. An old set of bare rims might work almost as good as a deterrent.. You don't have to be theft proof, just harder to steal than other opportunities.
Old 06-12-2014, 08:18 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 1994 Scamp 16
Arkansas
RogerDat, Thanks for the great information! I have not heard of the Lo-Jack, but that would be a excellent idea. Just get it and put it in the camper. That would be one sure way to locate the camper! Because I think this will be a growing problem!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #25

Arkansas
RogerDat, I looked up Lo-Jack, the device sounds great, but the MSRP is around $695 dollars. Do you have any suggestions on where you can find one at a better price?
Thanks!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:20 AM   #26

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1977, 1978 (2), 1300 - 1977, 1973, and a 1972
Alberta
Registry
$45 from China:
SPY CAR Vehicle Realtime GPS GSM GPRS S€‹MS Tracker Tracking System Device TK103 | eBay

$100 / year for a pay as you go cell account.
Old 06-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #27

Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
$45 from China:
SPY CAR Vehicle Realtime GPS GSM GPRS S​MS Tracker Tracking System Device TK103 | eBay

David, Thank you for the information!
Old 06-12-2014, 10:42 AM   #28

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
$45 from China:
SPY CAR Vehicle Realtime GPS GSM GPRS S​MS Tracker Tracking System Device TK103 | eBay

Cool device. The seller's site says:

Quote:
Suitable for cars, vans, trucks, bikes, etc.
You this Purcnase is Real Time GPS Vahicle Tracker Drive Include Free Use Latest GPS Tracker Software.
No Contract, No Activation Fee, No Software use Fee.
Can Remote control car power and oil
More safety and convenience, by (running on a personal computer) remote control software can cut off the vehicle oil and the circuitalso can be connections the original vehicle are vibration sensors and automotive door control switch.
It can help you track anything such as your car, boat and other vehicle in time. You will not worry about losing them forever.
It is working based on existing GSM/GPRS network and GPS satellites, this product can locate and monitor any remote targets by SMS or internet. Please visit my store to buy it now.
I was a bit surprised to see that you can remotely cut-off the oil to your vehicle. I guess they want the ability to stop thieves by having the car engine seize up and stop.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
escape