Stolen Hitch - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-07-2009, 04:34 PM   #15

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Boler
Registry
Quote:
A nut and bolt of the proper size will deter most thieves as effectively as a locking pin, at a much lower cost.

-- Dan Meyer

Nuts and bolts are not rated (even grade 8 bolts) for that kind of shear load and should [b]NEVER be used, only hitch pins with the proper rating should be used!! Don't cheap out, buy the proper stuff. a 30 cent bolt may cost you a $5000 trailer and possibly someones life.

Old 07-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #16

Trailer: 2002 Casita Freedom Deluxe / 2007 Nissan Frontier King Cab
Quote:
If it sticks out from the bumper more than 8 1/2" here in Sask. you can get a ticket, although I have never heard of anyone getting one. If you leave it in over our winters with the snow and salt it will rust in and nobody can get it out!
Snow? What's that? Salt? Why would there be salt around?

Old 07-07-2009, 07:17 PM   #17

Trailer: 2000 24 ft Shasta Ultra Flite
Road salt (Sodium chloride) is used to melt the ice on roads up here in the great white North it also rusts cars .
Old 07-08-2009, 03:15 PM   #18

Name: james
Trailer: Boler 1984
Ontario
Snow is rain in a frozen state. It falls from the sky in tiny little particles. BUT usually enough falls at a time so that it piles up just like the stuff you see outside of a hockey arena.
HOCKEY ..... a game played by Canadians up here in "The Great White North".
Old 07-08-2009, 07:23 PM   #19

Name: Dan
Trailer: Scamp
Minnesota
Quote:
Nuts and bolts are not rated (even grade 8 bolts) for that kind of shear load and should [b]NEVER be used, only hitch pins with the proper rating should be used!! Don't cheap out, buy the proper stuff. a 30 cent bolt may cost you a $5000 trailer and possibly someones life.
I can't believe that there is anything different in the metal between a hitch pin and a nut and bolt. A hitch pin isn't anything special. It is the same metal stock as a bolt, but instead of a head and threads it has a 45 degree bend and a hole punched for a retaining clip.

-- Dan Meyer
Old 07-09-2009, 10:27 AM   #20

Name: Mr
Trailer: small
State
True, it is just steel stock, bent and punched. I guess the question is, what grade of steel? Grade 1 might be too soft and shear too easily. Grade 8 might be too brittle and risk snapping. I dunno. If you know what grade of steel they use for hitch pins, you could surely match it up in a bolt, and be perfectly safe.

However, I guess the issue might be that a bolt is not approved for use as a hitch pin. In the case of a problem, if you are using the "wrong" stuff, you become liable through negligence. If you use the "right" stuff, the manufacturer shoulders the liability in case of failure.

I use R-clips for local short-term towing, and a brass pin-lock for non-local or longer-term towing, and remove the stinger when I'm not going to be towing. I lube the lock once a year or so, and have never had problems with it binding up. Years ago, I left a stinger in over a winter, and never did get it back out, even after beating the snot out of it with a mallet. Now I take it out if I won't be towing again within the week.