Storage - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #1

Name: Jodi
Trailer: Casita Freedom Deluxe
Texas
Storage

F/t living in my 17’ 2013 Casita for 8 yrs now. Been Park hosting and have no stakes on land so to speak.(not a homeowner or renter) Recently joined Peace Corps and realized I have no place to put my rig and car. My one adult child has no room at her place. I’ll be gone 2 years if all goes well. I’m older so who knows. Should I pay the big bucks and put it in sheltered temp controlled unit? Or cover it and pay for outside. Afraid of mold, if no one looks after it. Did purchase an electric dehumidifier but again it’ll have to be plugged in. I’m in Santa Cruz right now hosting but can take it anywhere with reasonably good weather if situation is right. Too rainy or snowy probably not a good idea. Any ideas out there. I’ll start calling around as well. April 2020 is my departure date. Thanks. Jodi
jodimckenna56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 01:51 PM   #2

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Always best if someone looks after things on a regular basis. The car should be driven occasionally. For a few years I stored a couple cars for people in my barn, and would start them up every couple weeks. I don't do that anymore but do have a few cars and tractors of my own stored in my barn, and if they set too long, even just a few months, then they don't want to run. Gone for 2 years or more, maybe you should just sell the car and trailer and see what your situation is when you come back to the USA.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 02:37 PM   #3

Texas
Storage

Mary and Bob,
Definitely food for thought. Your point of ‘looking after’ is a good one. I will admit that it is very scary to sell out my home and car (a nice older model 4 Runner) that is in great shape...so forth...you get my point. Two years goes by darn fast these days and what if I come back early? Sorry just thinking out loud. Thanks though. Pondering in progress.
Old 07-20-2019, 03:44 PM   #4

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you are going to be gone for two years, I'd sell the car and camper, avoid the pitfalls of storage/mold/damage entirely.

You can buy replacements when you return.

I would not want to be away for two years and have to worry about stuff back home.

Come back early? No problem, buy them whenever you get back. Casitas and cars are not unique items, replacements will be available whenever you return. And who knows? When you get back, you may just head off in a different direction entirely.

Don't let STUFF own you.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 03:59 PM   #5

Texas
So...already three votes for selling out. Which means unloading all my stuff as well, i.e camping gear, etc. Ok...thnx...pondering a whole other level. Homeless kinda.
Old 07-24-2019, 12:27 AM   #6

Name: Elliott
Trailer: Bigfoot
Everywhere
I'd definitely sell the car for two years. Anything that's not driven every 6-12 months and kept up is probably going to deteriorate. An equivalent replacement 4runner should be easy to find.

The Casita's a bit more of a question mark. No motor means you could store it somewhere either climate-controlled or just covered in a dry mild climate with a few buckets of desiccant inside and no battery and probably be fine for two years. It'll be pretty expensive though, even in less expensive regions. An identical replacement might be harder to find when you return though, and I'm assuming you've done a fair bit of customization in the years you've had it.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 06:18 AM   #7

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
Is there a storage facility near where your daughter lives so that she could check on both car and camper regularly. Previous comment of a desiccant like Damp Rid is a good idea but even that will need to be replaced regularly. You could research storing the car, again a desiccant, fuel additive, and a simple battery disconnect switch which would allow it to be run occasionally. Non-ethanol fuel in the tank would help. Maybe even a rodent deterrent in both, such as Fresh Cab. Under the car hood too. Much better to have some attention to both for that long a time period.
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:24 AM   #8

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
Your gear is a lot easier to store than a car or camper. Rent a small climate controlled storage unit, or get space from family/friend. Vehicles degrade while sitting idle, and go down in value as well. Sell, put the money in a two year CD and you will have a nest egg when you get back. Unsure about the time, then just put it in a money market fund.

Sell it is a financial based decision. Whether you decide to keep it or sell, that's really up to you. Plenty of my decisions are NOT financial based.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 07:49 AM   #9

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
I've thought about this a bit myself, though I don't have any immediate plans to leave the country.

First off, of course, do what you want. It doesn't matter if every single person you ask says "sell it". You can do what you want.

But I agree on the vehicle. Unless someone is going to drive it now and then, it's better to sell it. I guess with the camper I'd look into the cost of an indoor unit. Climate controlled doesn't matter. A barn would be fine. A carport would be fine. Outdoors uncovered would honestly be fine. But if the cost adds up to more than the cost of similar camper bought new or used, it starts to seem silly to pay to have it stored.

Without a friend, relative or neighbor to store it for you, it seems pretty difficult to me.

There's something nice about the idea of leaving for two years to another country, then coming back and having something familiar. Moving back into the camper would be a strange, but sort of comforting thing. On the other hand, you may well be a somewhat changed person, and sliding back into your old life with your old stuff may not feel right. It's rough to start over. But also sort of liberating, and a great chance to reassess. Come back into the world with nothing...
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2019, 09:01 AM   #10

Name: Daniel
Trailer: Sold it
Northern VA
I've spent a lot of time deployed with the military. If you sell anything, then just the car. That can be replaced. Keeping the trailer, you'd have a mobile storage for your gear. You could get by renting a tow vehicle when you first get back until you get a replacement.

If you store the car an entire two years, expect to replace the battery, tires may go flat needing replaced and for good measure, an immediate oil change. Maybe even new brakes. I've had to do all that before for year long deployments. Sitting unused, a car will deteriorate.

Fiberglass camper, if covered with a snug cover (not a tarp) should be ok. Might require some cleaning but so will using it on a regular basis. Just part of the upkeep.

So when it comes down to it, I'd at least keep the trailer. That can be left unattended without too much trouble upon return.

Safe travels.