Storage ideas problems? I live in a condo. - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 09-15-2014, 08:16 PM   #1

Name: Vinny
Trailer: Escape 19 on order
New Jersey
Storage ideas problems? I live in a condo.

I'm looking for some general ideas on where to find safe affordable parking for a TT. I live in a condo in NJ and the rules don't allow an RV to be parked on the property. I understand this will cost a few bucks. Just wondering if anyone in a similar situation could share their experience?
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 09:57 PM   #2

Name: deryk
Trailer: 2012 Parkliner 2010 V6 Nissan Frontier 4x4
New Jersey
Registry
Some of the gated storage places will rent out a spot for campers and Rv's...I looked into it once was $75-100 a month...another idea is ask around if you know someone that might let you pay them to store it at their house.

All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost.... J.R.R. Tolkien
deryk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:06 AM   #3

Name: Ray
Trailer: 2017 Scamp 16 Deluxe
Missouri
Around the KC (Mo) metro, there are several very large caves (previous limestone mines?) where they do underground storage of RVs, boats, etc. Not sure about your area? -Ray

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
rdickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:38 AM   #4

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Another vote for the gated storage areas. I guess prices vary considerably by region though... here in Central VA we have a chain called "Uncle Bob's" that rents me a space about the size of a large space in a regular parking lot for $35 per month. It holds a 13" Burro with plenty of room all around. I've used two different ones of these places and now keep one all the time, even when the Burro is off on a long term trip of 2-4 months. This is less hassle than starting over each time I bring it back to town. Even in the comparative safety of the gated lot, I still keep the door and windows locked and use a tongue lock for a little additional security.

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:28 PM   #5

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
We've been very happy with the rented outdoor, fenced-in space here in California for a fee of $50 per month. It is also a mini-storage site. The manager/owners actually live on the site, providing extra security. The only downside is that there are limited hours for RV owners; 9-5 generally with a mid-day 1 1/2 hour lunch period when they are closed. The mini-storage customers, however, may have access 24/7 through a keypad. By limiting the RV access we are sure that the fenced in area is locked during "closed" hours. We have to make sure to start and return from trips within their schedule. The facility is 1 hour drive from our home. Local facilities here charge $200 per month! Yikes!
Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:37 PM   #6

Name: felix
Trailer: 82 burro 13 "PookaBurro"
Oregon
HOA's suck!

My garage had an 8'-0" high opening, so for the past 1 1/2 years I've just rolled the Burro inside the garage. But this summer we moved, and the new place has a 7'-0" high garage door, so the burro has been sitting out at the curb in the sun. I've looked under the sheetrock, and the garage header is over 24" above the opening (it's just framed down to 7'), so I'm going to reframe the doorway to 8', and have the garage door contractor remount the existing door with an additional panel in it. Luckily the garage ceiling is 11' high, so this will work fine.

The cost shouldn't exceed 2 years worth of storage, and the Burro'll be out of the weather and ready to roll at a moment's notice.

Some old trailers (Loliners, or Shasta, if I remember correctly) had small steel wheels you could change to, to lower the trailer and roll it into a standard garage opening. A hassle but okay for winter storage i guess.
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:28 PM   #7

Name: Charlie
Trailer: '83 Burro
Virginia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post
HOA's suck!

My garage had an 8'-0" high opening, so for the past 1 1/2 years I've just rolled the Burro inside the garage. But this summer we moved, and the new place has a 7'-0" high garage door, so the burro has been sitting out at the curb in the sun. I've looked under the sheetrock, and the garage header is over 24" above the opening (it's just framed down to 7'), so I'm going to reframe the doorway to 8', and have the garage door contractor remount the existing door with an additional panel in it. Luckily the garage ceiling is 11' high, so this will work fine.

The cost shouldn't exceed 2 years worth of storage, and the Burro'll be out of the weather and ready to roll at a moment's notice.

Some old trailers (Loliners, or Shasta, if I remember correctly) had small steel wheels you could change to, to lower the trailer and roll it into a standard garage opening. A hassle but okay for winter storage i guess.
Getting them off the rubber tires was good (for the tires, I would think) and being out of the weather in a garage (even unheated) will help preserve the exterior. I wish that were an option for mine. If you amortize the reduced upkeep into your calculations that garage door looks like more of a bargain!

Froggie
Green Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

Name: Vinny
Trailer: Escape 19 on order
New Jersey
I've been looking for something within a few miles from my condo. $100-$120 a month seems to be the rate. $120 was fenced in with cameras and such. If I want to drive an hour $50 exists. I want to keep it close, that way I will use it often.
GRINGOandTICA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:55 AM   #9

Name: Tom
Trailer: Scamp 16
Michigan
We've been looking for covered storage in vain. The problem is our nearly 9' height with a roof top A/C unit. I found a local campground that closes from Oct thru April. They charge $100 to store your RV for that whole period. The entire campground becomes an RV storage lot. We ordered the best cover we could find, and will make trips there to knock the snow off regularly. We also plan to escape to FL for a couple months this winter.

I guess I finally realized how bad the winter was last year, when the local (Chicago) zoo had to bring the polar bears indoors to keep them from freezing!

Tom
TomK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 06:22 AM   #10

California
Registry
For us, it's really not so bad to drive an hour to our trailer storage. We plan ahead and bring everything we need for our trip (basically food and clothing) and bring everything back when we return. BTW did I mention our tow vehicle is a sedan?

The storage site is on the way to most any camping trip and is near stores that we can use to stock up on food, gas and other essentials. (Plus, there is an outlet mall nearby.) I keep a large plastic bin inside the trailer with things we need for cleaning the outside of the trailer such as a stool, liquid soap, bucket, spray nozzle, towels, etc. When we go on a trip I simply leave the bin in our parking space until we get back. We have found that having the trailer one hour away does not affect the number of trips we take.

Consider, too, the yearly costs of $1440 vs. $600. If the storage site, which is one hour away, is not on your way to camping the gas expense and time to travel may not be worth the difference in price. Good luck in your decision.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:15 AM   #11

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
On a recent trip to Alabama I noticed at a couple of their State Parks there were stored trailers in a separate storage lot. One was near a major University and I suppose people pull them out a few times a year for football game weekends. Personally, if I did not already live in the "country" I would cultivate a friend who did and throw them a few bucks or a few dinners out a year to store my egg.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 07:16 AM   #12

California
Registry
I just discovered that if you "Google" "mesh bags" and go to the "images" button on top the images are sorted into useful categories such as beach, zipper, laundry, etc.
Old 09-19-2014, 07:18 AM   #13

California
Registry
Or...you can make your own mesh bags Mesh Lingerie Bags Tutorial - Dog Under My Desk .