Storage shed ~heads up - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 03-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #1

Name: Marge
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Storage shed ~heads up

My camper has been in storage since Nov. We go to the shed today to find the lock missing on the overhead door. HHMMNN my heart was racing..."is my camper still inside"? Yes Thankfully it was. We called the owner if the sheds to find that several had been broken into and many things stolen. He then tells us everyone that used a simple padlock on their unit are the ones that were broken into. He also tells us to use a disc looking lock as they cannot seem to break them with a cutter. So if any of you are using regular padlock, you may want to consider the little more expensive lock!!! Next fall I will be using one.

guess my heart is in good shape , thought I would keel over at the sight of "no lock"
Marje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #2

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Storage wars have made everyone think there are treasures to be had in every storage unit. In reality the treasures are usually only a treasure to the owner.

Having worked in the self storage industry for over 5 years I saw a definite increase in break-ins after storage wars started. The best advice I always gave people was put the very BEST SECURE lock possible on your unit that works. But I also always told them to look at the latch. If the latch is just a swivel latch why put a $25 padlock on it? If it's your standard storage lock then up the quality of the lock. Also keep in mind that you need to project your camper. I don't know how often I'd have people bring their trailers in, park them, and leave. Yes their door would be locked but not the unit. I had someone come into a facility I was managing hitch up a trailer and drive off with it. Problem was it wasn't (reportedly) theirs. (We suspected otherwise). Always lock you unit including wheel locks when being stored, even if it's also stored in a storage unit.

Having said that I will say that storing in a self storage facility is still very safe in comparison. You trailer is normally far safer in a self storage yard than it is on the street by your house or in the driveway.

So glad your trailer was safe.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #3

Name: Marge
Trailer: Scamp
Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikljones View Post
Storage wars have made everyone think there are treasures to be had in every storage unit. In reality the treasures are usually only a treasure to the owner.
Thats exactly what my husband suspects. I almost had to giggle thinking what may have went through their mind when they opened the door and seen the camper. It is not pretty in the state it is in, lol.

Thank you for the idea of wheel locks although it will be inside. I am hoping to have it all pretty by next yr!
Marje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Having said that I will say that storing in a self storage facility is still very safe in comparison. You trailer is normally far safer in a self storage yard than it is on the street by your house or in the driveway.
I have to say this sounds silly to me?
You first tell tale of someone hooking up and stealing one because you don't realize they are not the owners but then claim somehow it is safer there than in my driveway?

Clearly you do not know my neighbors?

I pity the fool
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:34 PM   #5

Name: Nick
Trailer: OutdoorsRV
Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Harris View Post
I have to say this sounds silly to me?
You first tell tale of someone hooking up and stealing one because you don't realize they are not the owners but then claim somehow it is safer there than in my driveway?

Clearly you do not know my neighbors?

I pity the fool
Silly or not it wasn't intended to be a debate. I just hope your neighbors don't fail you. In the meantime I stand by my statement.
Rvicsvol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:36 PM   #6

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I can not get scamp into garage, will have to check into storage locker for winter. Really hate the black streaks the melting snow leaves behind.

Sister stores her rig year round at a facility, I assume they have some security, I live out in the sticks so I lock my hitch and my neighbors are all good about looking out for each other. Don't think I could say one is safer than the other but for either one of us wheel and/or hitch locks sound like good advice. Can't stop a thief, just make it easier to look elsewhere.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 06:39 PM   #7

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
Silly or not it wasn't intended to be a debate. I just hope your neighbors don't fail you. In the meantime I stand by my statement.
Not a real convincing statement.

I have stored many times each way and feel a lot more comfortable with a trailer where I can watch it vs. where I can not.

The storage place has no personal interest in my trailer and of course makes me sign that I understand that before I can stick it there.
I also have no way to really secure it beyond chains and locks which are fairly easily hacked off where in my driveway I block the trailer in with other vehicles.

My neighbors are nosy,nasty and familiar with everyone who belongs there and what vehicle they belong to.

I just don't see how they can compare for security.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Doesn't matter if it's in a secured storage facility, parked in your driveway or your backyard. We've read where these kinds of trailers have been stolen in all those places. If they want it, they'll figure out a way to get it. Do the best you can, have good insurance and don't lose sleep over it. YMMV
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
i don't know which is safer,,,, i just know i want my baby near me. you never know when a quite comfortable place to sit in peace and have a cup of coffee will be just what you need.
john warren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Originally Posted by john warren View Post
i don't know which is safer,,,, i just know i want my baby near me. you never know when a quite comfortable place to sit in peace and have a cup of coffee will be just what you need.
sounds delightful to me!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:05 PM   #11

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
Mention of "insure it" reminds me, your local insurance agent can quote you a price on theft insurance stored at your home address or at the address of a storage facility you are considering. The price of insurance is directly related to the risk associated with the location. Don't forget you may also need to consider the risk from fire, damage or vandalism in picking the "safest" storage location.

Insurance companies may be a PITA but they do know risk assessment.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote