Strangers knocking on my door - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #1

Trailer: 2003 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Send a message via AIM to VickiC
Last night I had my first experience with someone interested in buying my Scamp. Out of the blue here is a stranger on my front steps inquiring about my "little camper". Nothing on the property indicated it was up for sale. He was driving by and saw it and he was ready to buy it on the spot. I thought that was so cool. Its definatly a novelty around here I dont know if there are many owners of scamps in this area (New Jersey). I never see them in the local campgrounds. Anyway, I love my Scamp and i won't be ready to part with it for a while.
VickiC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:19 AM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Yep, believe it or not that's how some of our members have purchased their trailers..by knocking on doors. Sometimes folks are just thinking about selling and that knock is enough to make the sale.

If it bothers you to have strangers knock and inquire, maybe put signs all the way around (in the windows) that say..."This trailer is NOT for sale." I've certainly seen similar signs enough times on classic cars.

Of course expect to get the same questions even when you're camping
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:30 AM   #3

Trailer: TrailManor (Gone to the Darkside)
When we lived in Canada there was a Boler around the block in a guy's front driveway with a VERY prominant sign on the front reading "Not for sale or rent". At the time we kinda chuckled and wondered if that was REALLY a problem for the guy.

Little did we know...

Mike
Mike Watters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:36 AM   #4

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
I get strangers knocking on the door, the man putting in new house windows next door, the mailman.... I showing off my little egg and all the work I have done. I ask if they want the regular or the extended tour....the extended takes about 15 seconds longer
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 11:42 AM   #5

Quote:
I ask if they want the regular or the extended tour....the extended takes about 15 seconds longer
I like that. Can i use that sometime?
Old 01-08-2006, 11:58 AM   #6

Trailer: 1977 Scamp 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Jackie
Quote:
I like that. Can i use that sometime?
Of course - I "borrowed" it from someone else around here....
Jackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2006, 12:55 PM   #7

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
This happens on a regular basis at my house. I even get the random Element drive by, stop, and ask if "You tow that with your Element?".

I have thought of putting a Not For Sale sign on mine, but that might make the less than honorable think it's worth more than it really is and invite trouble.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:17 AM   #8

Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Quote:
This happens on a regular basis at my house. I even get the random Element drive by, stop, and ask if "You tow that with your Element?".
Gina, is this yours?

Name:   element.jpg
Views: 75
Size:  25.9 KB
CharlynnT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 12:19 AM   #9

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry

Not enough dog hairs.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:08 AM   #10

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Quote:
showing off my little egg and all the work I have done. I ask if they want the regular or the extended tour....the extended takes about 15 seconds longer
I end my tours with, "are you ready to see the East wing?"

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 07:33 PM   #11

Trailer: Casita 17 ft 2004
I use the Brown Egg when I go to the local farmer's market to yard sell. Nice to have potty (none at market) and you can put lots of stuff in it that you want to sell. I always have people wanting a tour and wanting to buy. They get the tour but the egg is not for sale.
Susan Tiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:06 PM   #12

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Two satellite tv service techs were out today to replace a defective receiver. While in the yard, they noticed the Scamp and I gave them the nickle tour. They couldn't believe the previous owner had installed a roof mounted satellite dish on a camper this small and asked if they could take a picture with the dish raised. (they wanted to show everyone at the office their latest house call).

After accommodating their request, they saw that the dish on the Scamp was the old single LNB style (it works but won't receive all the channels available on my dish 500 home setup). They swapped out the defective receiver in the house theb went into their parts bin and gave me everything necessary to upgrade the Scamp's system to the newer technology. Now I can get the local channels when in the boonies!

Al
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 10:37 AM   #13

Al,

Not only do they put smiles on peoples faces--but they bring out the best in people. They are a wonder! Congrats on your good fortune.