Street Rod Heaven - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV

Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Roger that chevy pick-up is a CAMEO. I'd never heard of it before but it certainly is a pretty truck. oops maybe trucks aren't pretty. how about sharpe and well-tooled?

yeah and that should have been TICKLED

Thanks all who've visited and to all who voted.
The links are www.autoshow.ca then enter, cruise nationals and VOTE NOW which may be where some confusion arose.
Jean

Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #16

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
[b]Roger that chevy pick-up is a CAMEO. I'd never heard of it before but it certainly is a pretty truck. oops maybe trucks aren't pretty. how about sharpe and well-tooled?
The Cameo would be a perfect rig for towing a fiberglassTT...most of the Cameo bed is made of FIBERGLASS

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #17

Name: Brian
Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Alberta
Quote:
Betcha if you tried to get a [b]signed affidavit from CanAm, Hensley, and Airstream stating this was an appropriate and safe combo, you couldn't.
Can-Am RV routinely and consistently, in its web site, magazine ads, and the columns written by its staff, advocates towing trailers which are far beyond the rated capacities of the tow vehicles: they're already in print to some extent saying that it is fine. Personally, I'm with Roger on this one - just because someone's recommendation is published does not mean it should be blindly accepted, even if they seem to base it on sound reasoning. I can only guess what the hitch and trailer makers would say, but I think Bill's on the right track.

The fact that there is even a debate about whether or not the tow vehicle manufacturer's rating can be disregarded brings up an issue for the operator of a street rod: just [b]how do you determine the towing capacity of a highly modified vehicle? Maybe not an issue to sort out in this forum, but worth thinking about for the owners of those impressive cars and trucks, who often also seem to be trailer enthusiasts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #18

Name: Roger
Trailer: Y2K6 Born Free 32RQ on the Kodiak chassis, 1995 Coachmen 19' B-van and 1996 Precision 21' Sailboat
Iowa
Quote:
The Cameo would be a perfect rig for towing a fiberglassTT...most of the Cameo bed is made of FIBERGLASS
Donna, I FOUND ONE for you! A '55 Cameo extended cab! The owner only has $154k in it so far... All it needs is a Class III hitch and a Prodigy...

'55 Cameo Suburban Carrier
Attached Thumbnails
55_cameo6.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #19

Name: Frederick
Trailer: Fiber Stream
California
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Donna, I FOUND ONE for you! A '55 Cameo extended cab! The owner only has $154k in it so far... [b]All it needs is a Class III hitch and a Prodigy...

'55 Cameo Suburban Carrier
It probably has it!
Quote:
A big fan of 1955 Chevys, he also owns a frame-up restored 55 Chevy convertible. The sight of his stunning '55 Cameo [b]pulling his equally impressive '55 Chevy convertible on [b]a trailer is something to see. It's not lacking on the power side either.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #20

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Donna, I FOUND ONE for you! A '55 Cameo extended cab! The owner only has $154k in it so far... All it needs is a Class III hitch and a Prodigy...
Spend all that money and paint it that color Definitely not original..Cameo's weren't built with an extended cab.

Quote:
Chevrolet only sold a few more than 5,200 Cameo pickups in 1955, mostly due to the price. Cameo's base price of nearly $2,150 was a bit more than most truck buyers were willing to pay, especially when the far more mundane base 3100 Series pickup was listed at just $1,670.
I know where you found that picture Roger
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2006, 07:09 PM   #21

Trailer: 1992 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Voted for the cute little yellow car. Please let us know the outcome of the competition.

Nancy
Old 02-06-2006, 07:20 AM   #22

Nancy : I'll definitely post the results. We will know on the 16th. Norm says he hopes for 3rd. They are all gorgeous cars and most of them are drivers like ours. It's hard to compete in a class of trailer queens when you've got mileage on you own and it's homebuilt. However the fanciest, and commercially built one dropped out apparently as it didn't show up on the web-site.

Doug, yep we are members of the CSRA and Historical Automobile Society of Canada -we have a old restored model A. and NSRA and FGRV!

Voting ends sometime today. Thanks all.
Jean
Old 02-06-2006, 08:51 AM   #23

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2003 Casita 16' SD
Michigan
Registry
Quote:
DISCLAIMER: OK... for those unititiated, CanAm RV in London, Ontario used a mid-90s Intrepid hitched to a wide-body Airstream 34' tri-axle with a Hensley Arrow hitch to demonstrate how well a large trailer can handle behind a light tow vehicle. Hensley actually uses footage from this in their advertising videos. There has been significant discussion for years on Airstream sites about the advisability of using such a small tow vehicle for such a large trailer, and the debate rages on...
I expect that there is a certain bliss in being unconstrained by the laws of physics that most of the rest of us must follow. Fussy details like conservation of momentum, the annoying tendency of moving objects preferring to continue in a straight line, that whole friction thing. Science is what they want it to be.

I imagine them moving through their lives in an almost continual state of wonder. Things happening by magic, doggedly proud of their ignorance and resolutely sure that whatever happens, it wasn't their fault. And, of course, what I call Selective Anarchy. The rules apply to everyone else but them.

Sigh.
Old 02-06-2006, 04:14 PM   #24

Quote:
The rules apply to everyone else but them.
Sigh.
And not just physics.
There are those of us too who think the rules of managing good physical health don't apply to us either. My clothes seem to shrink in the closet EVERY YEAR
jean
Old 02-07-2006, 10:01 PM   #25

trailer wt v.s tow vehicle weight
I know this is backtracking but another thread reminded me to ask Norm what the oxygen does weigh. 2,000 to 2,200 lbs dry wt. The roadster completed weighs 3,200. So we'd only be able to haul marshmallows, chips, paper towels, bikini's, popcorn and helium-filled balloons.
jean
Old 02-07-2006, 10:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Norm or Jean: Have you seen the new BBS the CSRA has up and running now?

http://www.csra.ca/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl
Old 02-11-2006, 02:12 PM   #27

Doug: No I hadn't seen it yet. Thanks. We used CSRA event listings to plan last summer. It was the best site for finding events in your own province. I hadn't got that far-thinking yet. AHHH more ways to gobble up our time. You know this used to just be the seed catalogue time of year, imaging what ambitious plans you could have for your gardens.
jean
Old 02-26-2006, 08:40 PM   #28

Bronze Metal Winner Thank you all

If you go back to www.autoshow.ca and the GALLERY then Cruise Nationals and Classic Salon, you will see our presentation pictures, we're pix #'s 12 and 13.
First was the white 63 dodge polara-a drag racer with a 426 hemi and 2nd was the baby blue '58 chevy convertible- what a beauty -restored to original. All the cars were gorgeous, very stiff competition.

This was the longest and classiest car show we've ever been in. Norm's baby has been at the autoshow for over 2 weeks now. Home tomorrow.

Thank you again for your voting. We were told we will never know the judging scores separate from the internet voting. Just the final results.
Jean