Street Rod Heaven - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2006, 11:01 PM   #1

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
We have a pretty little yellow car in our garage. This is the car that started us on a fiberglass trailer hunt, while Norm was in the process of building the car. Our aim was for a trailer to take on route 66 with our new 1932 Ford Roadster.

With his typical attention to detail it took 4 years to build the car. We found the Oxygen before the car was finished but in the end it was too light to pull the Oyxgen. The next car will pull it - a desoto airflow -a story for another time.

From 12 cruise shows in a 100 mile radius of Toronto last summer, 60 cars were judged at the Canadian National Exhibition -CNE for the Cruise Nationals. The top ten were chosen to show at the new autoshow in Toronto in Feb. 850,000 square feet of new and concept cars. We were delighted that Norm's little yellow roadster was one of those picked.
They want to make the show interesting to people who can't be there, so they have opened the choosing of the winners to 1/2 judging by newspaper auto columnists and 1/2 by internet voting by Feb. 6..

Anybody interested in seeing Norm's car and all the competition can go to
www.autoshow.ca click on Cruise Nationals (on left) and then on Vote.

AND if in the end you choose his we'd be lickled banana pearl!
Thanks norm and jean

uhmmmmmm... blush that would be TICKLED
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 07:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 1981 Trillium 5500
Quote:

Thanks norm and jean

I won't lickle you jean, but I will vote.

Joe MacDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 08:04 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 1300 1977 (#2033 L EGGO)
Quote:
Thanks norm and jean

Heck, most of these cars are so recent! I should have kept my '30 Model A Ford Roadster and my '55 Chev. Station Wagon instead of retireing them at the end of their useful life. OK, you have received two banana lickles from us. You deserve them -- Good Luck

Des & Diane
Des Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 10:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Okey dokey... I voted for the lovely '32 roadster also... but I've gotta tell you that red Chevy pickup was sure tantalizing! What a tough field to choose from! Best of luck!

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 04:54 PM   #5
Administrator

Name: Mary
Trailer: 2015 Escape 21; formerly Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Wow. I really liked the '33 Ford (it's purple!), but that '32 Roadster was impossible to pass up.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:01 PM   #6

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Wow. I really liked the '33 Ford (it's purple!), but that '32 Roadster was impossible to pass up.
Me too. Isn't that one we were supposed to vote for?

Well I actually voted for the 32 Roadster.
Old 01-31-2006, 05:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
ooooh I love hot rods and classics. Voting, easy peasy. DONE!

Good luck Norman and Jean...that's one neat, neat car
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 05:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 1984 U-Haul 13 ft
Send a message via Yahoo to Andy Earthman
You might think twice or more about Rt66 with a vintage vehicle. I just drove from Oklahoma City to Needles on 66 and some of the areas are to rough. The Portland Concrete Slabs that you'll find in Oklahoma are uneven and bumpbump bumpbump on down the road. Very harsh. dag gone Uhaul camper does take it. as does the S10 truck. but a nice old vintage car... I'd never do it.

Rt66 Road Trip pics
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/eastman_camps/my_photos
A.
Andy Earthman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2006, 09:13 PM   #9

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
WELL.. ya'll got me over a barrel here. I went to the site, took a while but I found the link to the cars involved. It was a HARD choice since I am now a NoPar Dood BUT, I couldn't find a link to vote for that KQQL 32 Deuce roadster. I'm HOPING ya'll are members of the CSRA: http://www.csra.ca cause I am the B.C. Rep for the organization. NOT that membership therein would sway my vote cause you DO deserve it...and I will vote accordingly when I find out H O W !!

Back to your towing woes with the Deuce..... there is a couple of rodders out here on the Best Coast who tow a 17ft Escape with a '30/31 Shay replica. This is a pinto powered glass model eh roadster. They tour all over B.C. in it with "reported" little effort! So I'm thinking MAYBE there is something in your setup that is making towing a relitively lite Oxygen a problem
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 07:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Back to your towing woes with the Deuce..... there is a couple of rodders out here on the Best Coast who tow a 17ft Escape with a '30/31 Shay replica. This is a pinto powered glass model eh roadster. They tour all over B.C. in it with "reported" little effort! So I'm thinking MAYBE there is something in your setup that is making towing a relitively lite Oxygen a problem

Towing problems with the roadster maybe because of wheelbase issues The Oxygen is one of the larger (longer) molded fiberglass units.
Attached Thumbnails
1_BonairOxygen.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:29 AM   #11

<tongue firmly planted in cheek on:> Why Donna, whatever are you talking about? Wheelbase issues? Why everyone knows that you can tow an Airstream 34' tri-axle with something as small as a Dodge Intrepid! What's the problem with '32 Duece Coupe and an Oxygen? <tongue firmly planted in cheeck off:>

Roger

DISCLAIMER: OK... for those unititiated, CanAm RV in London, Ontario used a mid-90s Intrepid hitched to a wide-body Airstream 34' tri-axle with a Hensley Arrow hitch to demonstrate how well a large trailer can handle behind a light tow vehicle. Hensley actually uses footage from this in their advertising videos. There has been significant discussion for years on Airstream sites about the advisability of using such a small tow vehicle for such a large trailer, and the debate rages on. For the record, I HAVE a '94 tri-axle Airstream, and I tow it with a Ford Excursion. In my estimation the 7,000 lb 3/4 ton V10 Excursion is the absolute MINIMUM truck I'd want to pull a 9,500lb GVWR trailer with. Donna's thought is well taken and appropriate!
Attached Images

Old 02-01-2006, 11:46 AM   #12

Trailer: 2002 21.5 ft Bigfoot / 2003 Chevy Duramax 4x4
Quote:
CanAm RV in London, Ontario used a mid-90s Intrepid hitched to a wide-body Airstream 34' tri-axle with a Hensley Arrow hitch
Betcha if you tried to get a [b]signed affidavit from CanAm, Hensley, and Airstream stating this was an appropriate and safe combo, you couldn't.

Intrepid: 3500 lb curb wt., 3.2 L V6
Airstream: 9500 lb GVWR
Bill Abbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 12:17 PM   #13

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Don`t know about now but it wasn`t that long ago when about 50% or more of the tow vehicles in Wally Byams caravans were common full size cars....some of the Airstreams were pretty big....I don`t think that they had many problems.....one of my brothers used to tow a stickie that was about 25 feet or so in about 1952 with about a 51 straight 8 Buick and this trailer was heavy......I know he towed it in the mountains towards Kitimat in about 52 or 53, (probably as far as Prince George), when they started the power project and smelter there....and I doubt very much if there was brakes on that stick built.......there wasn`t much else for tow vehicles in those days .....Oh, almost forgot, voted for the deuce roadster also.....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #14

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Don`t know about now but it wasn`t that long ago when about 50% or more of the tow vehicles in Wally Byams caravans were common full size cars....some of the Airstreams were pretty big....I don`t think that they had many problems.....one of my brothers used to tow a stickie that was about 25 feet or so in about 1952 with about a 51 straight 8 Buick and this trailer was heavy......I know he towed it in the mountains towards Kitimat in about 52 or 53, (probably as far as Prince George), when they started the power project and smelter there....and I doubt very much if there was brakes on that stick built.......there wasn`t much else for tow vehicles in those days .....Oh, almost forgot, voted for the deuce roadster also.....Benny
The traffic speed and volume has increased a whole lot since 1953. The way people drive has change too. In those days if you saw somebody coming down a hill you made sure they had as much of road as they needed. If you saw a car pulling a big trailer coming down the hill at you, you got to side of the road, and if there was any question you stopped. When going by a side street that was on a hill you always looked up the hill before entering the intersection. If there was any question about somebody being able to stop at the stop sign you stayed out of his way. Aint that way today.
Old 02-01-2006, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Bonair Oxygen 2002
Roger that chevy pick-up is a CAMEO. I'd never heard of it before but it certainly is a pretty truck. oops maybe trucks aren't pretty. how about sharpe and well-tooled?

yeah and that should have been TICKLED

Thanks all who've visited and to all who voted.
The links are www.autoshow.ca then enter, cruise nationals and VOTE NOW which may be where some confusion arose.
Jean
norman and jean mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 03:30 PM   #16

Quote:
[b]Roger that chevy pick-up is a CAMEO. I'd never heard of it before but it certainly is a pretty truck. oops maybe trucks aren't pretty. how about sharpe and well-tooled?
The Cameo would be a perfect rig for towing a fiberglassTT...most of the Cameo bed is made of FIBERGLASS
Old 02-01-2006, 08:22 PM   #17

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
Quote:
Betcha if you tried to get a [b]signed affidavit from CanAm, Hensley, and Airstream stating this was an appropriate and safe combo, you couldn't.
Can-Am RV routinely and consistently, in its web site, magazine ads, and the columns written by its staff, advocates towing trailers which are far beyond the rated capacities of the tow vehicles: they're already in print to some extent saying that it is fine. Personally, I'm with Roger on this one - just because someone's recommendation is published does not mean it should be blindly accepted, even if they seem to base it on sound reasoning. I can only guess what the hitch and trailer makers would say, but I think Bill's on the right track.

The fact that there is even a debate about whether or not the tow vehicle manufacturer's rating can be disregarded brings up an issue for the operator of a street rod: just [b]how do you determine the towing capacity of a highly modified vehicle? Maybe not an issue to sort out in this forum, but worth thinking about for the owners of those impressive cars and trucks, who often also seem to be trailer enthusiasts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2006, 08:36 PM   #18

Quote:
The Cameo would be a perfect rig for towing a fiberglassTT...most of the Cameo bed is made of FIBERGLASS
Donna, I FOUND ONE for you! A '55 Cameo extended cab! The owner only has $154k in it so far... All it needs is a Class III hitch and a Prodigy...

'55 Cameo Suburban Carrier
Attached Thumbnails
55_cameo6.jpg  
Old 02-01-2006, 08:45 PM   #19

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Donna, I FOUND ONE for you! A '55 Cameo extended cab! The owner only has $154k in it so far... [b]All it needs is a Class III hitch and a Prodigy...

'55 Cameo Suburban Carrier
It probably has it!
Quote:
A big fan of 1955 Chevys, he also owns a frame-up restored 55 Chevy convertible. The sight of his stunning '55 Cameo [b]pulling his equally impressive '55 Chevy convertible on [b]a trailer is something to see. It's not lacking on the power side either.
Old 02-02-2006, 07:03 AM   #20

Quote:
Donna, I FOUND ONE for you! A '55 Cameo extended cab! The owner only has $154k in it so far... All it needs is a Class III hitch and a Prodigy...
Spend all that money and paint it that color Definitely not original..Cameo's weren't built with an extended cab.

Quote:
Chevrolet only sold a few more than 5,200 Cameo pickups in 1955, mostly due to the price. Cameo's base price of nearly $2,150 was a bit more than most truck buyers were willing to pay, especially when the far more mundane base 3100 Series pickup was listed at just $1,670.
I know where you found that picture Roger