Stuff you bought and wish you hadn't - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 07-11-2017, 05:18 AM   #29

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry View Post
I remember my 1st wife coming home with some thing we didn't need and when asked Why...she would say I saved $5.... and I would say you spent $20 not saved a thing.
Oh the stories of Ex's.......both ways

Old 07-11-2017, 02:55 PM   #30

Name: Henry
Trailer: Scamp 2017 16-ft SD / FB
Texas
Smile

I have a box of stuff I needed for the Scamp. After a few years I solved my problems treasures gone wrong, got a bigger box. Will soon be looking for a Goodwill drop off center - others need to learn to enjoy these treasures before they too make a Goodwill drive by.

Gattopuin64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2017, 03:08 PM   #31

Name: Glenn ( second 'n' is silent )
Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B '08 RAV4 SPORT V6
British Columbia
Here's one. Bought this Coleman oven many years ago and it resides under a bench that requires some effort to get to.
I've used it once to reheat pulled pork. It weighs seven pounds, about the same as a case of beer.
Attached Thumbnails
Coleman oven.png  
Old 07-11-2017, 03:15 PM   #32

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
After a few beers, you won't care if the pulled pork is warm or not.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:06 PM   #33

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
Your oven will last forever especially if you don't use it. But a but a case of beer doesn't last very long. A case of beer at 7 lbs must be light beer.
Old 07-11-2017, 05:12 PM   #34

Name: KAY
Trailer: 1981 SCAMP 13
Missouri
Registry
A good point about weight considerations when bringing refreshments.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:36 PM   #35

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
To discover what you really don't need, buy a new trailer. Cleaning everything out of the old trailer, you will be amazed how mucg the little trailers have in them, and what you dont use.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:08 AM   #36

Name: john
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsteve View Post
The tool box I carry contains enough tools to repair an aircraft carrier. I am affraid to weigh the thing.

And then there is the question my wife loves to ask is do you have the skill set to do all these repairs? I wave my 8 pound torque wrench in the air and reply with a smile, of course, why else would I have all these tools.

In our Casita one would never ask about all those decorative items taking up space, that is if they want a prepared meal for the rest of the trip.

I might review the tool box again and toss one of those extra screw drivers out.Then I'll feel better.
My Daddy always said he carried tools, because maybe someone would come along who knew how to use them.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:31 AM   #37

Name: Kathleen
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Washington
Registry
To discover what you really don't need, buy a new trailer. Cleaning everything out of the old trailer, you will be amazed how mucg the little trailers have in them, and what you dont use. __________________
Alice

You are so right! Even if you just pretend you got a new rig and empty every single space (meanwhile you can dust vacuum, wipe, wash, etc.)--and then seriously sift & sort before putting things back--

Good idea. It'd be good to do it just before camping season each spring.
Chance to lighten the load and simplify the procedures...not to mention a good chance to make sure you don't have mice, hornets, mold, or just piles of dust.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-12-2017, 10:11 AM   #38

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Back in the day when I traveled by air to projects, I took a lot of "convenience" items. After a while, if I didn't use an item for two trips, it didn't go with me on the next one. That was when airlines were not near as restrict as today.

So, the same technique could/should be used for the trailer. We downsized from a 35' class A to the Campster. You can imagine how much we have shed in the last few months but we (spelled I) have also acquired a few Campster specific items.
Old 07-12-2017, 10:55 AM   #39

Washington
Registry
Hey, Dave, How's your summer?

A two-trip limit for freeloading goods. I like it.

Luckily for us, a. the get-away van was smaller than Peanut, b. we gave it to our son with "all" of our camping gear inside and he sold it later with "all" still in it, c. we were so strapped paying to fix Peanut that we had little money for buying fribbles, and d. I'm so concerned not to exceed the dodge caravan's tow weight limit (I want a thousand-pound leeway!) that I've been cautious...up until lately, when I find we're using the back "pontoons" for more stuff, though it's mostly empty water bottles and small electrical items like a heating pad...

This thread is good, reminding me to KISS--keep it simple, sweetheart, when it comes to putting merchandise in the trailer.

One of the things we've (I have) made a rule of is "No Duplicates!" If I have a comb in my purse, I don't need another one in the toiletries wall pocket in the Putin. If we have a fire starter and matches, we don't need a 2nd fire starter in the tool box in the car. If we have a mixing bowl with graduated marks for measuring, we don't need a set of measuring cups as well. If we have bedding blankets, we don't need to haul lap blankets, too. The only throw pillows now are the ones we use for sitting or sleeping--the first night out (ever), we tossed something like seven throw pillows into the car because they were all over the floor--we didn't need them to read or sleep. They never came back in.

I relented on one thing, though. We already had a pug, but we take the 2nd one with us as well. A "hair" and a "spare," you might say. You never know when you'll need two.

BEST
Kai
Old 07-12-2017, 01:38 PM   #40

Name: Steve
Trailer: Scamp 13
California
2 pugs put together make one regular size dog so your ok unless it means 2 water bowls and 2 feeding dishes and 2 beds for them too. Of course no matter what you do you will have at least one pug under the feet.
Old 07-12-2017, 06:31 PM   #41

Washington
Registry
Hi, stevebaz:

Two feeding dishes, one water bowl. One sleeps at my feet, the older one sleeps under my bed in a plastic barrel liner used as a dog bed, a bath/shower basin, and a wading pool for those very hot afternoons. Three uses.

Which is fair enough, since the pugs really have no use whatsoever...except to eat leftovers and bark. And snuggle. And be cute. And accept kisses and attention. And sit next to us all the time. And keep my feet warm. And greet every child and three-quarters of the adults they meet as if they are the answer to life, the universe, and everything...and... No--no uses at all.

8)

thanks--
Kai
Old 07-12-2017, 10:53 PM   #42

Name: Gilda
Trailer: 2011 Scamp 13'
California
Registry
Guess what? You can go "glamping" (glamorous camping) without bringing extra "stuff". Decorate your trailer with curtains, bedding, pillows, dinnerware, spare tire cover and stuffed animals. (Ok, so maybe you don't "need" stuffed animals, but they do add an element of fun in very little space.)
Attached Thumbnails
Doug's art and Scamp 026.jpg   Doug's art and Scamp 028.jpg  

Doug's art and Scamp 030.jpg   Lindsey's Bridal Shower Aug. 2015 & SCAMP 029.jpg  

Gilda is offline   Reply With Quote