Subaru Outback and Scamp 16SD - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2010, 08:24 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19 (was 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up)
Registry
I have a 2008 Subaru Outback 4cyl, automatic, that I used to pull my pop-up, and a Dodge Dakota I use to pull my Scamp 16 SD. I always wondered if the Subaru would be capable of pulling the Scamp so I gave it a short 40 mile trial today on local roads, small hills, and Interstate (up to 65 MPH).
In order to meet Subaru's limits for my Subaru (2700 lbs, and 200 lb tongue weight) for this test, I had to temporarily remove the battery and the two propane tanks. That dropped the tongue weight to 200 lbs. Subaru recommends 8% tongue weight, so that means I can't exceed 2500 lbs on the trailer, or either the tongue weight goes above 200 lbs, or it drops below 8%.
I'm happy to report that the Subaru exceeded my expectations on this test, so I now know that I can use it as a backup if the need arises, as long as I keep the balance to stay within limits . I can replace my front battery with a sealed Optima battery in the back, and drop down to a single propane tank in the front to balance the tongue weight at or below 200. I'll also need to minimize what I carry in the Scamp to keep it under 2500 lbs.
The Subaru surprised me. It seemed to take the small hills better than my V8 Dakota, with less downshifting required, and although the fuel mileage dropped below the normal 28 on the highway without a trailer, the 17.4 I got towing was still better than the 14.5 I recently got with my Dodge.
My Scamp weighs 2460 with a half full water tank, so dropping to 1 propane tank and travelling with empty tanks will still give me a "little" bit of carrying capacity in the Scamp.
I know a lot of people have been asking about Subaru Outback and the Scamp 16 lately, so maybe this will help them decide. If I was ordering a Scamp 16 new and had an Outback, I would just try to keep the options down and keep the Scamp as light as possible to help you stay within the limits.
I have a transmission cooler on my Outback, and electric brake controllers to help keep things in check, and a 5" lift on my receiver drawbar to keep the Scamp level.
radar1-scamping.blogspot.com
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 10:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

If it works, it works.

We tend to do over kill with our Tow Vehicles in the US of A it seems to me. From pictures and videos in Europe, they seem to get by with much less muscle than we seem to want in what they are towing with.

I'd just keep the speed down, IMHO speed gets up in more trouble than anything while towing.

Good luck with your towing project.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 10:25 PM   #3

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Funny that your Outback has a 2700lb weight limit my 2007 Outback has a 3000lb limit when using electric brakes on the trailer. I've been towing a 16' scamp with side bath for 3.5 years without a problem. Been up and down the coast a number of times and into the mountains. If you keep it under 65 mph you should not have issues. Yes it would be nice on big hills to have a bit more power but I have been known to pass a number of much larger rigs and tows on hills. I had the trailer weighed twice while on a recent trip - fully loaded with 2 weeks worth of gear and about 15 gals of water the trailer axel came in at about 2300lbs. Tongue weight on first weigh came in at 240lbs could have been less as it was in 20lb increments. I had in the past stored mountain bikes in the trailer but I was worried abouyt the weight in the trailer so put them on top of the car - which was enough to tip the tongue weight balance. Not good for the Subaru so I shifted a bunch of heaver items out of the front storage to the back and that brought the tongue weight back down - so the 200lb rate is reachable without moving the battery or propane tank. I understand that the use of an equalizer bar would also help in this regard.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:29 AM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
I have a 2008 Subaru Outback 4cyl, automatic, that I used to pull my pop-up, and a Dodge Dakota I use to pull my Scamp 16 SD. I always wondered if the Subaru would be capable of pulling the Scamp so I gave it a short 40 mile trial today on local roads, small hills, and Interstate (up to 65 MPH).
In order to meet Subaru's limits for my Subaru (2700 lbs, and 200 lb tongue weight) for this test, I had to temporarily remove the battery and the two propane tanks. That dropped the tongue weight to 200 lbs. Subaru recommends 8% tongue weight, so that means I can't exceed 2500 lbs on the trailer, or either the tongue weight goes above 200 lbs, or it drops below 8%.
I'm happy to report that the Subaru exceeded my expectations on this test, so I now know that I can use it as a backup if the need arises, as long as I keep the balance to stay within limits . I can replace my front battery with a sealed Optima battery in the back, and drop down to a single propane tank in the front to balance the tongue weight at or below 200. I'll also need to minimize what I carry in the Scamp to keep it under 2500 lbs.
The Subaru surprised me. It seemed to take the small hills better than my V8 Dakota, with less downshifting required, and although the fuel mileage dropped below the normal 28 on the highway without a trailer, the 17.4 I got towing was still better than the 14.5 I recently got with my Dodge.
My Scamp weighs 2460 with a half full water tank, so dropping to 1 propane tank and travelling with empty tanks will still give me a "little" bit of carrying capacity in the Scamp.
I know a lot of people have been asking about Subaru Outback and the Scamp 16 lately, so maybe this will help them decide. If I was ordering a Scamp 16 new and had an Outback, I would just try to keep the options down and keep the Scamp as light as possible to help you stay within the limits.
I have a transmission cooler on my Outback, and electric brake controllers to help keep things in check, and a 5" lift on my receiver drawbar to keep the Scamp level.

Thanks John for posting this. I have an 2010 Outback and was on the edge of getting a 16' or 13' Scamp. Scamp told me that it can be done with one tank and no AC or Awning. I have a friend who fultimes and his advice was not to forget what your stuff weights. Fully loaded and ready to travel. I'm pretty convice to go with the 13' so I do not have to worry about the weight issue. I also want to carry two kayak's/bikes and othe fun stuff. Cheers

Bill caulway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:46 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 13 ft 2010 ('Ladybug') / 2003 Subaru Forester
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Funny that your Outback has a 2700lb weight limit my 2007 Outback has a 3000lb limit when using electric brakes on the trailer. .
Carol:

According to Subaru Warranty, and Towing information page
the towing capacity of the 2008 Subaru Outback 6 cylinder is 3000 pounds and the towing capacity of the 2008 Subaru Outback 4 cylinder is 2700 pounds, both assuming you are using electric brakes.

Brian

Tags
scamp