Subaru's towing specifications make absolutely no sense!! - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-22-2016, 04:24 PM   #29

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4
SW Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelypip View Post
Pickup trucks and sport utes are much more profitable than sedans and wagons for manufacturers that make both...you figure it out.
The more I'm thinking about this, the more this seems to me as a myth. Cars are more profitable to a manufacturer.

Old 11-22-2016, 04:38 PM   #30

Name: Tom
Trailer: interested in HC1.
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokhapkin View Post
The more I'm thinking about this, the more this seems to me as a myth. Cars are more profitable to a manufacturer.

Nope, Steely is correct. Trucks and SUVs' are much more profitable.

Old 11-22-2016, 05:00 PM   #31

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I see a lot of people think they can compare European of the same model with American cars. I've said this before THEY ARE NOT THE SAME VEHICLE. For one just try and find a place to buy gasoline, it's difficult. They're all diesel, even the Austin Martin I looked at was diesel. So would imagine there's many more differences. So if you wish to compare apples and oranges OK, but they don't compare very well.
Old 11-22-2016, 05:50 PM   #32

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I see a lot of people think they can compare European of the same model with American cars. I've said this before THEY ARE NOT THE SAME VEHICLE. For one just try and find a place to buy gasoline, it's difficult. They're all diesel, even the Austin Martin I looked at was diesel. So would imagine there's many more differences. So if you wish to compare apples and oranges OK, but they don't compare very well.
Even comparing apples to apples can be very subjective and depends on how you plan to consume them.
Let's face it... the least palatable apple ever grown is called "DELICIOUS!" (its like applesauce in a leather skin!)
Old 11-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #33

Name: Ginny
Trailer: '09 Scamp 13' w/ Bath
Oklahoma
A little late to the discussion, but I thought I would contribute this article. I thought it explained the difference between UK and US tow ratings really well.

Tow me down!
Old 11-29-2016, 10:40 AM   #34

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I read that article. But out here- in the west- towing speeds are almost always 10 mph lower than max freeway speeds. On a recent trip the fastest speed while towing I saw posted was 60 mph. I stick to the posted towing speed limits because I've never felt it was safe to go faster. I know not everyone does (I got passed by plenty of huge rigs going max freeway speed in Oregon the other day) but unless tow limits are set so that you can ignore speed limits I don't think the article really explains the difference. Yes, it is safer to tow more at slower speeds. But we already knew that.

Towing at the posted speed limit with my 2012 Forester 5-speed, probably about 2000 lbs with a 200 lb tongue weight, I got 19-20 mpg and the rig was very stable. No sway even when passed by big tractor trailers. I took turns at posted speeds (yellow "warning" speeds) and was fine. The main thing I didn't like was when the roads were rougher as I got more bounce than I like- not sure why that was. (Happens with the Campster, too- especially through sections of 5 in Seattle/Fed Way area.) I don't think I'd go much over that weight, though- for one, unless I went over the tongue weight, I'd be getting a lower % (Subaru says 8-12% but I prefer at least 10%) and because even with manual transmission it would be harder to get a heavier trailer up steep hills. I see "even with manual" because I've driven both and the automatic (similar year) is much less peppy on hills.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:54 PM   #35

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 Std
Arizona
Registry
Subaru's towing specifications make absolutely no sense!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie Mayer View Post
...But out here- in the west- towing speeds are almost always 10 mph lower than max freeway speeds...
Depends on whether you mean legal towing speeds, or actual towing speeds. In my corner of the West- Arizona, New Mexico, Colorado, and Utah- legal towing speeds are the same as passenger vehicles, which is up to 75mph in Arizona.

However, in practice I have observed the vast majority of drivers pulling trailers have more sense than that, and 65mph is far more typical. Semis usually go somewhere between 65-70mph, even when the legal limit is higher. There are always a few in a big hurry, but they are the exception, not the rule.

Ironically, in California, where legal towing speeds are limited to 55mph, semis and RVs are going around 65mph (apparently with complete impunity). In other words, the strict towing law makes little perceptible difference in actual practice!
Old 11-29-2016, 01:01 PM   #36

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Towing specifications are there to do two things, 1 comply with government specifications and 2 To protect the company from law suites.
Old 11-29-2016, 01:57 PM   #37

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
Washington
Registry
I mean legal towing speeds, which I have always assumed are there for a reason!