Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #15

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Successfully staying on the road!

And here I thought I would get some drunk driving tips. LOL

Kidding aside, some great insight here.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #16

Name: Darnelle
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Minnesota
I love your posts Norm. Thank you for sharing so much of your calm wisdom. It is on my bucket list to fulltime in a fiberglass camper, at least in part because of your posts. I "listen" to you as an elder to better myself today.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Staying on the road

Thanks for sharing your story, 'Staying etc'. I Post rarely on this list, as I've run into a few outspoken and rather unkind remarks. That said, most members are very kind and helpful. As a 71 year old woman who has put in 10k towing miles in 16 months on the road (a 16' scamp with a Subaru Forester), I'd ignore any strange remarks about living on the road and just enjoy the glorious adventures. We belong to the adventurous of the world and its fine to enjoy whatever life you choose. PS: you will find my first year's adventures in my 4th book on Amazon, entitled 'Wander' by Lynn Romaine.
Old 02-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #18

Name: Wayne & Barbara
Trailer: Parkliner
Iowa
Red face

We have taken a few extended trips with our 16SD Dx Scamp. Newfoundland, Alaska, Florida and East Coast... but with many obligations, and some health problems, it is tough to stay away more than a month or two at a time.
The post office will only hold our mail for 30 days.
I suppose, if there was a way to cut one's self off from everything else, it would be possible to be full timers.
The best thing about traveling tho, is that it is always good to be home again.
Old 02-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Generally Ginny never talks about herself. She always turns the conversation to you and your interests.
Now that there is a the sign of a special lady!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #20

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
ALcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Successfully staying on the road!

And here I thought I would get some drunk driving tips. LOL

Kidding aside, some great insight here.
Cute comment Jim.

Ginny and I are casual drinkers. We may average a glass of wine a week, two glasses a night and Ginny gets 'happy'.

So far this year I've had two beers and two wonderful strawberry margaritas.

Though I'm really big on trying new things and have tried most everything, my approach to both drugs and alcohol is I like my mind functioning well.

Of course we serve alcohol to guests at dinner, and will have a drink with friends who do but never if there's a person with a problem trying to avoid alcohol, respecting their attempts.

Ginny and I to some measure live silly and happy...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:58 AM   #21

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Collins View Post
We have taken a few extended trips with our 16SD Dx Scamp. Newfoundland, Alaska, Florida and East Coast... but with many obligations, and some health problems, it is tough to stay away more than a month or two at a time.
The post office will only hold our mail for 30 days.
I suppose, if there was a way to cut one's self off from everything else, it would be possible to be full timers.
The best thing about traveling tho, is that it is always good to be home again.
Wayne,

Though we've spend considerable time on the road, averaging 7.5 months per year, we usually are not gone for longer than 5-6 months at a time.

We get home in April, hug up with family and friends, and head off again for a couple of months returning to spend the bulk of the summer home. In our 14 years of travel we have only gone for 12 months twice.

We had four sets of people visiting us this year in FL and we get to see more distant friends and relatives frequently in our travels with lots of new friends added to our lives.

Ginny talks about now having many homes. When we visit a place like Port Orford, OR we fill home because we have been there so many times it feels very familiar.

Mostly being on the road is different from our past, good different. We have become more open and friendly as a result of our travels, recognizing the people we meet our like us, new and in a measure alone, until we smile and say hello and offer them a cup of ...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 12:00 PM   #22

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1 View Post
Now that there is a the sign of a special lady!
Wayne,

I must tell you I'd love to meet you. One of these days I'm coming to Ontario. How far are you from Buffalo?

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 12:49 PM   #23

Name: Jim
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Ginny and I are casual drinkers.
We are too, though do imbibe more than you. It is very rare for us to have a drink unless socializing, UNLESS we are camping. Even then, if alone, it is not that much. I would imagine this will change though, if we were to be retired and spending more time in our trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:59 PM   #24

Florida
Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We are too, though do imbibe more than you. It is very rare for us to have a drink unless socializing, UNLESS we are camping. Even then, if alone, it is not that much. I would imagine this will change though, if we were to be retired and spending more time in our trailer.

We always carry four bottles of wine in our trailer so any of you that come by can bring a wine glass to share a smile.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 01:06 PM   #25

Florida
Wander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
Thanks for sharing your story, 'Staying etc'. I Post rarely on this list, as I've run into a few outspoken and rather unkind remarks. That said, most members are very kind and helpful. As a 71 year old woman who has put in 10k towing miles in 16 months on the road (a 16' scamp with a Subaru Forester), I'd ignore any strange remarks about living on the road and just enjoy the glorious adventures. We belong to the adventurous of the world and its fine to enjoy whatever life you choose. PS: you will find my first year's adventures in my 4th book on Amazon, entitled 'Wander' by Lynn Romaine.
I just bought your book, Wander. Most of the people on the site are nice. I admit to 'quitting' the site on occasion. Fortunately I decided, as in all of life, you need to ignore the few who are unkind.

Like you, understand that we can not expect those who haven't done 'it' to understand our journey, our rather different way of living. Enjoy your adventure and I'll read your book over the next week.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 01:21 PM   #26

Florida
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
I love your posts Norm. Thank you for sharing so much of your calm wisdom. It is on my bucket list to fulltime in a fiberglass camper, at least in part because of your posts. I "listen" to you as an elder to better myself today.
Darnelle,

I laughed when I read 'calm wisdom'. It's taken me a long time to become calm (while Ginny's always been calm). By the way I laughed a second time reading your post, this is the first time I've been called an 'elder', pretty cool.ie
Thank you. Of course being an elder is a relative state. We have nieces and nephews who stay with us at the beach in the summer. One night my niece could not fall asleep so I a 'eldered' her with calm wisdom.

I told her to lay down and to try to feel her toes, relaxing them, then her ankles and all the way up to her head and eyes, relaxing each part of her body and sleep would find her. She was 7 at the time, at the age of believing her loving uncle. She still remembers and has it as a tool, shared elder wisdom.

Personally I can talk myself into sleep in a crowded room by relaxing myself There is something to being able to relax.

We were at a party once and a lady had studied Feldenkrais and gave me a 'head float' (nothing sexual, but rather a process of getting you to release the tension in your neck muscles that work continuously to support your head) and within seconds I was sound asleep on the floor in a crowded room.

Wandering again

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 01:34 PM   #27
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Wayne,

I must tell you I'd love to meet you. One of these days I'm coming to Ontario. How far are you from Buffalo?
Sounds good Norm. Only 35min from the Peace Bridge.
Old 02-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #28

Florida
Courageous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infogypsy View Post
I started the book and have only read a few pages but it says to me that beyond being able to write well, you are one brave lady. Not many people would be able to take such a large step at 70. I look forward to 'joining' your adventure.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16