Successfully staying on the road - Page 3 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-15-2015, 10:47 AM   #41

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Aging Children

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darnelle View Post
Norm,
I'm glad you took the term "elder" well! For me, an elder is wise due to their life's experiences, not solely because of years lived -- although more years lived gives more experiences, and round it goes. I am not young, perhaps older than your own children, so I truly meant it as a compliment.

I also can see you are perhaps not as calm as Ginny, but, as you have said, she tempers you, and you indeed have calm wisdom.

I've also read your posts on mods and maximizing storage. Those are priorities for us (3 in a 13' Scamp, plus a big dog), so I hope to copy a few. We MUST get out with it much more than we do. You help me remember that life is about experiences, and life can be too short.
Darnel,

Our children are in their mid 40s, they have more of the demeanor their mother, both considerate and kind people. Last night at the Valentines Dance I was happily telling the story to our friends, mostly younger, of becoming an elder. I took it as a compliment.

I was lucky and learned at an early age life was short, my dad died young. I seek variety.

We have modified a 1977 Scamp 13 for our son. If you have questions I can relate what we did to his.

Thank you for your thoughts.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:52 AM   #42

Florida
Boring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post

If anyone is thinking of exploring northern Saskatchewan please let me know - a real life meeting would be wonderful. Don't even think of writing off this province as 'miles of boring flat fields'!
We have been to your province and find nothing boring about flat fields. I can still remember the Van Gogh yellow fields of rape seed (Canola oil) in Alberta, a definite surprise for this New England lad.

I know what you mean about taking the grand children. We both believe that our RVing has brought us closer to the grand children. They look upon us as adventurers and are proud of our choices.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2015, 10:56 AM   #43

Florida
No Kids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboyscamp View Post
And Norm and Ginny, we mirror your lifestyle in large part. No, we never had kids, but we are light hearted, rarely spontaneous, and willing to try new things constantly. We both just love scuba diving,,and have been to far reaches of the world. Now our Scamp takes us to much closer places that haved escaped us. Free Spirit II ismthe name of our beloved Scamp, as our long owned ski boat was Free Spirit. We woke up today, one day closer to spring!

We have a number of good friends without children, in some sense it's the statistics of life. They like you have been able to travel even more than us seeking adventure at many levels.

As to spring, I just looked at a picture of our home, there simply has not been this much snow since we began living there 25 years ago. This is also a record year for snow accumulation in Greenland. Snow levels have been increasing in the Northern Hemisphere for a number of years. Great for the skiers in our extended family.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2015, 02:19 PM   #44

Name: Doug
Trailer: Scamp 16 ft.
Missouri
We are bracing for a winter storm. Snow blower is at the ready. Still, I woke up today thinking that we are now yet one more day closer to spring! Scamp will be ready !
Flyboyscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 06:11 PM   #45

Florida
Doug,

Wish you well with your storm. If it's the first one that can be fun. Where we live in NH we've had about 100 inches of snow in less than 30 days. We've had 100 inches a couple of times while we lived there but never in less than 30 days, both wearing and dangerous.

These storms have been accompanied by winds and well colder than normal temperatures. Glad we're in FL right now.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #46

Missouri
The storm now seems to be missing us! That's OK with me!
Old 02-15-2015, 10:07 PM   #47

Missouri
How do you deal with such heavy snow fall and get things like food?
Old 02-16-2015, 06:05 AM   #48

Florida
Doug,

Right now we're in Florida, Ginny's winter heaven on earth. When we're home Ginny always buys a few cans of Spam, mentally her emergency food. Also our Seattle son keeps us supplied with smoked salmon that survives without refrigeration. We usually carry a few pounds in the Scamp. Both of our homes, FL and NH also contain about 3 months of survivalist type foods, some in the form of packaged meals (30 day supply) and the remainder as wheat, rice, beans, ......

It takes a very small investment to be prepared. We also carry a million gallon water filter in our trailer. I believe for each location the investment was just a few hindred dollars, not fancy foods but basic stuff.

Where we live at the beach most disasters do not interrupt our natural gas supply, water or electrical supply. There are not many destructive trees in the beach area.

At our campground in FL the park has two wells with their own generator, set up with transfer switches, as does our sewer plant. Of course probably half the park has a generator with their rig.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-16-2015, 06:18 AM   #49

Florida
Doug,

If you were writing about trailer food, there Ginny is consistent. We always have 2 cans of Spam, and a couple of pounds of smoked salmon, a couple of pounds of bacon and a dozen eggs. I would guess we have at least a weeks worth of food and probably two or even three weeks of food.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-16-2015, 06:34 AM   #50

Florida
Becoming one

Part of the road adventure is extending your self both physically and mentally.

Over our 14 years we have become more physical, taking hikes, walking more, doing geocaching (hiking with a prize at the end). This year we've taken up line dancing, each class is an hour and a half, a really fun group work out (sometimes it's a laughter filled mash pit as we all get out of sync). This year we have a group painting class in the park, amazing that in a few hours non-artists can produce a good painting under good leadership.

Of course some people in the park have kayaks and our local Peace River is loaded with fossils, some campers come here just to fossil search. As well a number of companies rent canoes and kayaks for river trips. Florida has a lot of rural lands. This year I was surprised to see the Dumpsters at the Scamp Camp wired to keep the bears out.

Until recently we had a rousing book club in our park, led in great discussions of interesting books. My brother in law mocks FL calling it God's waiting room. If you're waiting you don't have to be stagnant.

As we drive North America we're always trying to improve our knowledge, trying to be careful in our eating habits and to keep moving. There is something to learn every day. The process of growing mentally and improving physically at the same time brings a couple even closer together.

It's not one of us racing ahead of the other, not a competition, but two of us sharing growth, often moving at the pace of the slowest member, growing gradually to a joint faster pace.

A process of becoming closer...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-16-2015, 08:39 AM   #51

Missouri
Hi Norm, Ginny, storm delivered just a little snow, no big deal. Not enough for my snow blower, so will just use a shovel to push it down the driveway. Are you in a Scamp in Florida?
Old 02-16-2015, 09:41 AM   #52

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
A grilled cheese sandwich on homemade bread with some fried spam on it sure tastes good.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:47 AM   #53

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yes, Norm and Ginny are enjoying the balmy breezes in central Florida. About as far south as Tampa, I believe, but somewhat inland. I imagine they can drive to the gulf beaches quite easily if they so choose. A well-earned reward after a lifetime of innovation and productivity! They have their Scamp in storage down there, I believe, while they live in a 'park model' trailer that they bought in that RV park last summer.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 03:52 PM   #54

Florida
Mike and Doug,
Yes, Norm and Ginny are enjoying the balmy breezes in central Florida. About as far south as Tampa, I believe, but somewhat inland. I imagine they can drive to the gulf beaches quite easily if they so choose. A well-earned reward after a lifetime of innovation and productivity! They have their Scamp in storage down there, I believe, while they live in a 'park model' trailer that they bought in that RV park last summer.

The weather is delightful in Central Florida, we are surrounded by cattle and orange groves. We did buy a Park Model. After waiting for 9 years ever relative and many RV friends wanted to see what we waited 9 years for. Since they weren't fitting in the Scamp we decided to buy a used park model. Since we are new members of the Co-op we decided to stay here this winter; I volunteered to run the park's kitchen for the season (next year we'll be on the road).

We have gotten numerous visits already including a group from the Scamp Camp.

Interestingly the day we moved into the Park Model a member of the park came by and tried to buy my Scamp. Of course the anser was no, we're traveling until we no longer can with the Park model eventually a place to be near RV friends.

Lee,

Of course we both love fried Spam sandwiches, particularly with fried onions. We did visit the Spam museum and that is a blast and definitely worth a stop.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-16-2015, 10:05 PM   #55

Name: Lee
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Registry
I'm told that Spam is a delicacy in Hawaii.
Old 02-17-2015, 08:47 AM   #56

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
Thank you Norm!

I remember a post of yours where you described fastening plastic bins underneath your Scamp. I never did fully comprehend how they were attached, how they stayed up and closed for travel, and how you kept water and dust out of them. Do you have any more detailed photos you could share?
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:56 AM   #57

Florida
I will post a few pictures. Basically we use plastic bins. We have two large plastic bins with covers. Drawer slides are attached to the long sides of the bins close to the top edge. They are screwed thru the walls of the bin into thin straps of wood. The back ends of the slides are connected to brackets that screw into the floor. The front of the box is held in place with a large c hook, like a coffee cup hook. For redundancy I put two hooks near the front edge, one on each side and run a bungee cord under the box. The plastic box has a cover that mostly keeps the dust out. The stuff we store is generally not dust sensitive. I do " ever remember getting water in.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fiberglass RV mobile app

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16