Successfully staying on the road - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #1

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Successfully staying on the road

We met a lot of people at the Scamp Camp and quickly recognized that is some measure we are a curiosity...in a positive way.

It seems that people have difficulty imagining or understanding how we can stay on the road from extended periods, away from our permanent home, away from family, away from grand kids, away from what was the core of our lives for decades.

I have broached this subject before and thought I'd try again based upon our visit to Scamp Camp. This is not to criticize anyone who feels a longtime on the road is not for them.

The key for us in our 'mostly on the road life style' is new and challenging experiences. A willing to leave the old for the new. For most of my life I have found that new experiences are like an extension of one's life. To ensure that Ginny has the same feeling I attempt to open her eyes to new possibilities, vistas and experiences.

At first the family, and we have lots of nearby family within walking distance of our cottage, most thought "Norm's a little crazy". However after reading of our travels, listening to our experiences, they are beginning to imagine the fun we're having.

As to the permanent home, though we love where we've lived, and we've had the same home for 25 years, we recognize that a home is in a real measure an anchor, dominated by sameness of grass, paint and .... We have loved our town and friends however we've learned that there are really at least 10,000 places we could be happy living and literally millions of people who are nice, new and different. We do love the old but look forward to the new. Ginny is still good to the old, every one gets cards on their birthdays, and....

As to grand kids, hopefully we serve as a model for them, extending their ability to explore the world. We have been able to spend a lot of time with our 'away' grand kids, taking them to Alaska, taking our RV to their colleges, watching them participate in sports.

The core of my life was work and family. The children part of our family are off creating their own lives and very busy. Both have become RVers, both love that we're on the road, definitely envious. As to work, I have not missed it for a minute, though work was challenging and rewarding on many levels. My business partner for a number of years when we started our travels attempted to get me to return to a job. He died 5 years into our travels and before he died said, "you did the right thing".

As to regrets, maybe we all have this in common, there is more to do and see than we will ever do and see.

I admit that Ginny has sacrificed a little for our travels, the compensating benefit is all we've seen and done. I work to make this so. In some measure I am the tour guide.

I loved the Scamp Camp and again recognized how valuable Fiberglass RV is to the many owners. This website provides a great service to many.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 03:37 PM   #2

Name: Karen
Trailer: 1975 1300 Trillium
Michigan
Registry
I always love reading your posts Norm. We are newly retired, sold our house, but kept our cabin in the north woods as home base. Leaving on our first long 3 month trip this week. Lots to learn about how to do this living in a small trailer lifestyle so having experienced people such as yourselves as guides, really help. Not only in practical matters, but also in mind set and approach to the whole camping as lifestyle...! Keep up the good work. Hope we meet up somewhere some day! Karen and John
Old 02-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #3
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbingel View Post
I always love reading your posts Norm. Karen and John
Me too. Partly due to their extensive travels Norm has always something interesting to post
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM   #4

Florida
Wayne, Karen and John.

We had a blast this week meeting people who post on the site and we have more coming this week/ I will send you a private email with our Florida address should you get here. Next winter we plan to spend at least a few months in Florida and the rest out west. After July 1st we will be home in NH until October. We are always happy to greet fellow RVers.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2015, 07:26 PM   #5

Name: Janice & Rick
Trailer: Trillium 1300
Nova Scotia
Registry
Thank you, Norm and Ginny for that post. I am always wondering how people do the long term travel and love to read about them - some day it will give me courage to hit the road and not look back for extended periods of time.

It was really nice reading your thoughts.
JRTrillium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 07:54 PM   #6

Name: Hazel
Trailer: Trillium
Saskatchewan
Ginny is truly blessed to have you to travel with Norm. I rather expect you consider yourself blessed to have Ginny in your life too!
Hazel in Sk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 08:09 PM   #7

Florida
Janice and Rick,

Of course we love your Nova Scotia, we've traveled much of it. We usually stop in Pictou on our way to NL but have driven all over the province in earlier travel years.

It's hard to explain our travel joys though I think part of it is in the 'looking forward'.

When I was a child looking forward was always a problem for me, I was always reading ahead. I'm still looking ahead trying to discover something new.

Now we sit planning for our Newfoundland trip. Though we've driven all over the island, there's always more to discover together. We live like younger people with eyes wide open, anticipating a new island, new music and always great Newfie bread.

My whole life I've focused on maximizing fun.

I think some get stuck in the security of their past, feeling needed by their past.

Certainly we love our children and old friends. Our travels have been inspirational to our children, grandchildren and friends. People who thought we were crazy 14 years ago, are amazed though some still wonder.

a little rambling....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2015, 08:30 PM   #8

Florida
Ginny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazel in Sk View Post
Ginny is truly blessed to have you to travel with Norm. I rather expect you consider yourself blessed to have Ginny in your life too!
Hazel,

How appropriate with Valentines day in a few hours. Ginny really feels blessed, there's no doubt. She tells me all the time, a very warm feeling for me. I certainly 'parent' her in adventure, taking her on 'roads' she would not discover alone. Her trust and love make it so much fun, a willing partner.

Ginny parents me in 'worthy adulthood'. She has made me a better person every day of my life since I met her at 15 (now 72). Not by correcting me, but rather by her gracious example.

Though I always knew the value of her approach to life, it took many years for me to realize I should adopt her ways.

It's been traveling and learning adventure. Ginny is absolutely the key to my life.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #9

Name: walmart
Trailer: 2006 casita 17' spirit deluxe
California
I always look forward to reading your adventures!.
Jonnie
walmart jonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:24 AM   #10

Name: Jeff
Trailer: 17' Big Foot
British Columbia
When I was younger, late teens early twenties I had my bikes and traveled quite a bit. Lived Near Montreal and loved riding in northern Quebec ,Vermont, up state new York,etc. My good buddy and I rode our Harleys to Sturgis south Dakota. I was 23 then. It was just like the movie Easy rider for me.
A few years later I moved away to BC and joined the rat race. I forgot what it was like To live. One day I was thinking about the past and realized I'm thinking of the past. I don't want to do that. I want to think ahead and learn something new, Just like Norm and Ginny. Long story short,I found a Big foot Trailer. I kind of feel like Captain America Again. With a trailer. LOL.
Just talking out loud.
Jeff T H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:31 AM   #11
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff T H View Post
Long story short,I found a Big foot Trailer. I kind of feel like Captain America Again. With a trailer. LOL.
Just talking out loud.
Sounds like my story Jeff.... Built and rode the custom chopper trike, worked in the fast lane of the major computer company, and then found the joy of towing, traveling, and camping again. Now to just get our current projects completed and get back into it again.....LOL
Old 02-14-2015, 08:40 AM   #12

Florida
Lifr turning points

Quote:
When I was younger, late teens early twenties I had my bikes and traveled quite a bit. Lived Near Montreal and loved riding in northern Quebec ,Vermont, up state new York,etc. My good buddy and I rode our Harleys to Sturgis south Dakota. I was 23 then. It was just like the movie Easy rider for me.
A few years later I moved away to BC and joined the rat race. I forgot what it was like To live. One day I was thinking about the past and realized I'm thinking of the past. I don't want to do that. I want to think ahead and learn something new, Just like Norm and Ginny. Long story short,I found a Big foot Trailer. I kind of feel like Captain America Again. With a trailer. LOL.
Just talking out loud.
Jeff,

There are these, usually unrecognized at the time, turning points in life. At these points we often make choices without recognizing the choices.

When I was in my teens my parents offered to buy me a small motorcycle to tour the USA for the summer. I was not smart enough to take up their offer. I;m certain it would have dramatically changed my life. I might have become a wanderer earlier, maybe eventually turning to RVs well before retirement.

I've come to learn as most do, that we can not change the past, only to use the past to build a better future. Honestly I am still the kid i was when Ginny and I met and she still likes it the difference is that the kindness is now tempered with the experience of life.

Jeff of course I love Captain America, fits right in with my kid like qualities.

WIshing you the best road life possible.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 08:42 AM   #13

Florida
Life turning points

Quote:
Just talking out loud.
Jeff,

There are these, usually unrecognized at the time, turning points in life. At these points we often make choices without recognizing the choices.

When I was in my teens my parents offered to buy me a small motorcycle to tour the USA for the summer. I was not smart enough to take up their offer. I;m certain it would have dramatically changed my life. I might have become a wanderer earlier, maybe eventually turning to RVs well before retirement.

I've come to learn as most do, that we can not change the past, only to use the past to build a better future. Honestly I am still the kid i was when Ginny and I met and she still likes it the difference is that the kindness is now tempered with the experience of life.

Jeff of course I love Captain America, fits right in with my kid like qualities.

WIshing you the best road life possible.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 08:49 AM   #14

Florida
Ginny's Approval

Ginny rarely reads FRV though we talk about posts regularly. This morning she read through the this thread and the Scamp Camp thread and liked what I have written. Generally Ginny never talks about herself. She always turns the conversation to you and your interests. SOmething I'm still working on.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 02-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 19 ft Escape / 2009 Honda Pilot
Registry
Successfully staying on the road!

And here I thought I would get some drunk driving tips. LOL

Kidding aside, some great insight here.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:10 AM   #16

Trailer: 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette
I love your posts Norm. Thank you for sharing so much of your calm wisdom. It is on my bucket list to fulltime in a fiberglass camper, at least in part because of your posts. I "listen" to you as an elder to better myself today.
Darnelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:19 AM   #17

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' scamp standard side diner
Indiana
Registry
Staying on the road

Thanks for sharing your story, 'Staying etc'. I Post rarely on this list, as I've run into a few outspoken and rather unkind remarks. That said, most members are very kind and helpful. As a 71 year old woman who has put in 10k towing miles in 16 months on the road (a 16' scamp with a Subaru Forester), I'd ignore any strange remarks about living on the road and just enjoy the glorious adventures. We belong to the adventurous of the world and its fine to enjoy whatever life you choose. PS: you will find my first year's adventures in my 4th book on Amazon, entitled 'Wander' by Lynn Romaine.
Infogypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 09:52 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Red face

We have taken a few extended trips with our 16SD Dx Scamp. Newfoundland, Alaska, Florida and East Coast... but with many obligations, and some health problems, it is tough to stay away more than a month or two at a time.
The post office will only hold our mail for 30 days.
I suppose, if there was a way to cut one's self off from everything else, it would be possible to be full timers.
The best thing about traveling tho, is that it is always good to be home again.
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 11:06 AM   #19
MC1

Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Generally Ginny never talks about herself. She always turns the conversation to you and your interests.
Now that there is a the sign of a special lady!
Old 02-14-2015, 11:48 AM   #20

Florida
ALcohol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Successfully staying on the road!

And here I thought I would get some drunk driving tips. LOL

Kidding aside, some great insight here.
Cute comment Jim.

Ginny and I are casual drinkers. We may average a glass of wine a week, two glasses a night and Ginny gets 'happy'.

So far this year I've had two beers and two wonderful strawberry margaritas.

Though I'm really big on trying new things and have tried most everything, my approach to both drugs and alcohol is I like my mind functioning well.

Of course we serve alcohol to guests at dinner, and will have a drink with friends who do but never if there's a person with a problem trying to avoid alcohol, respecting their attempts.

Ginny and I to some measure live silly and happy...

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16