Oregon
Registry
I can almost smell the pancakes!!

Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 04:03 PM   #16

Name: melissa
Trailer: 2012 Scamp 13 DLX
Florida
This is the first I've ever heard of "sugaring". Very interesting and looks tasty!

Old 03-20-2011, 04:07 PM   #17

Name: Alfred
Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2010 Nissan Frontier
Ontario
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Anne H... Just got back from a trek to the sugar shanty. Lickety split!!! Came home via the Tundra swan staging area, and the local Qui du Vin winery with some Niagara(3) semi sweet white concord, and amber Maple(17) dessert wines. I'll watch my sugar tomorrow...honest!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie p.s. Matt in SV... 40 to 1 ratio I think. 40 gal. sap= 1 gal. syrup. Dia. of tree= #of taps per tree.(rule of thumb)
Old 03-20-2011, 04:34 PM   #18

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Ohio
syrup 101

It takes 40gal of sap to make 1gal of syrup. That is an average it can go to 60 to 1 if you have soft maples or a bad season. We had a run this year that was running 34to1. There are a lot of variables when dealing with nature. We made 152gal of syrup on 400taps so that was a little over 3pts per tap for a season average. That is very good and this was a very good year.
Old 03-20-2011, 09:55 PM   #19

Name: Matt
Trailer: U-Haul VT16, Escape 19
California
Registry
Thanks for the details! Now I have something to think about when i eat my pancakes, and more justification for buying "the good stuff." My wife finds it too aromatic and uses preserves!

Regards,

Matt
Old 03-21-2011, 05:54 AM   #20
Raz

Name: Raz
Trailer: Trillium 2010
Vermont
Hi Matt. Just to add to what Ed said: many varieties of maple tree can be tapped but because of the high sugar content in it's sap (2-4%) sugar maples are economically the best choice. To make syrup you must evaporate the water from the sap until the sugar concentration is about 67% and higher to make maple sugar, candy, etc. This of course requires energy. The big producers use fossil fuels boiling the sap from thousands of taps. Add this to the once a year harvest and it being very labor intensive and you get to the cost. Locally maple syrup is selling for about $40 a gallon. You can expect to pay double that outside of the maple producing region which is probably why your wife buys the log cabin stuff. If you can find some real syrup produced with a wood fire, like Ed's, thats the stuff to buy. The smoke adds even more flavor. Go to mapletraders.com to find a forum much like ours completely devoted to maple syrup production. Raz
Old 03-21-2011, 07:45 AM   #21

Trailer: 2003 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft (Eggs-Car-Go with ivy the tug)
Ohio
syrup 101

It takes 40gal.of sap to make 1gal of syrup. That is an average, it can go 60 to 1 if you have soft maples or a bad year. We had a run this year at 58to1, another was 34to1. There are a lot of variables when dealing with nature. Trees store sugar in the roots durning the previous year . The sugar is mixed with water from the ground and used as food for the buds in spring. We made 152gal on 400taps, giving us an average of a little over 3pints per tap as a season average. This was a very good year, we usually average only 2pts per tap. This is a very small % of the total volume of sap the tree produces.