Suggestions for a family in need of upsizing - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Suggestions for a family in need of upsizing

We have a '97 Liberty Deluxe. It's still doable, but we see the impending need to get into something larger. Is Bigfoot the only maker of fiberglass travel trailers that get over 20'? I once owned an Avion, and so I know that we have no issue with looking into the Airstream/Avion category if there is no choice, but I love the fiberglass for its weight. Are there other members who have a kid or kids who can make recommendations on models and/or sizes? We have a 28' trailer that we leave in the desert for Winter use. It's a pretty good indicator of how much size I wish we could get in fiberglass. I saw a lovely classified ad for a Bigfoot of that size, but it's a bit too nice and new to be in my price range. Ideas? Suggestions? Please and thank you.
Elise, N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Name: Jon
Trailer: Escape 21C
New York
Registry
Escape is currently designing a 21' trailer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 12:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Because of the economy situation several camper manufactures have gone out of business and you can pick up NEW Old Stock units at great prices.
New & Used RVs for Sale in Cleveland Ohio | Motorhomes, Campers, Travel Trailers & Fifth Wheels from Sirpilla RV - Sirpilla RV Akron

You can also fink Repossessed units at the following site. Look at the price then BID way low and if the Bank Accepts your bid then it's yours. If they do not accept the bid then Bid again at a higher price.

http://commonwealthboatbrokers.com/vehicles.asp?vt=RV
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:53 PM   #4

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just remember, bigger size doesn't necessarily mean more sleeping space or beds especially if some folks don't care to share a bed.

Hi Elsie! Perhaps you need to look at something with a gaucho that converts into bunks?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 10:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 1977 TM14 Surfside / 2007 Toyota Tundra V8 2wd
Registry
Elsie, there was a 28' Bigfoot for sale at the Lynden Vintage Trailer Rally two weekends ago. I didn't get the lady's name or number as I wasn't interested in buying but maybe there is someone out there who knows her?
Old 09-22-2012, 10:18 PM   #6

Well, perhaps something will present itself. In the meantime, I still have to rehome my Casita before I can truly shop. Thank you!
-Elise
Old 09-23-2012, 07:09 AM   #7

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
You didn't explain your family size/gender/ages but, as a kid, when our family was almost always the only trailer ("RV" wasn't invented yet) in the then $1 a night CA State Parks, we always slept in our own tent!!! But modern families have different needs.

To help, have you looked at the several 5th wheel FGRV's out there. I have seen sweet 5th wheel Bigfoots at well under $10k. Of course you will need a multi passenger TV

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #8

We do outdoor festivals for a living. Some do not permit tent camping, and some are too long term to make tent camping an easy solve. It's just us and a tween on the verge of teen, but the bottom line is we'd like more space. As for 5th wheels, we load the back of our truck with stock and production materials. It had to be a tow behind. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:34 AM   #9

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise, N. View Post
We do outdoor festivals for a living. Some do not permit tent camping, and some are too long term to make tent camping an easy solve. It's just us and a tween on the verge of teen, but the bottom line is we'd like more space. As for 5th wheels, we load the back of our truck with stock and production materials. It had to be a tow behind. Thanks for your input.
well,,,,, iffin ya can't sell the tween,,,which is my personal recomendation ,having raised three of the varments,,,id say a scamp 5th wheel might be just the ticket. plenty of space for three and still light , fiberglass, and cool. i saw one on here for sale that had a rig attached to allow it to be hitch towed too.
Old 09-25-2012, 06:37 AM   #10

Name: john
Trailer: scamp 13
Michigan
actually while traveling,,, couldn't you load your stock in the trailer?
Old 09-25-2012, 07:57 AM   #11

LOL! Our kid's a keeper. As for the stock, I think it makes more sense to use the trailer when traveling. I think that's their original concept. Also, I like a bit of order in my life, and dirty boxes and equipment in my travel trailer would make me crazy. Now, I thought I saw an ad for a Scamp 5th wheel on here that had an unusual hitch on the front, a frame that would allow it to be towed behind. I think that's what it looked like, anyhow.
Old 09-25-2012, 08:06 AM   #12

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
I have seen a few 5th wheels being towed with what looked like a "Helper" trailer to support the 5th wheel hitch. Not only did it look like a bad idea that would be impossible to back into a space, it would be seen as a "Doubles" tow in some states and wouldn't be allowed on the road.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 08:25 AM   #13

No tandems for me, thanks. I think we just need a bigger trailer. If we can't find a bigfoot, we'll go to airstream.
Old 09-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #14

Name: K
Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
California
We're happy with our Escape 19, and have slept all of us in it more than once, although having the boys in a tent is preferable (especially now that the teen is taller than me). We have plenty of storage space and the fridge space is ample. We bought second hand and I do know that if I were buying new I'd get the three burner stove as I repeatedly find myself cooking inside and outside in order to get three burners, but other than that it is a nice egg for a family.
Teen Boy #1 and Teen Boy #2
Monster and Brat (the dogs, not the boys)
HappyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 08:12 PM   #15

Name: Dave
Trailer: ,Bigfoot 25 foot plus Surfside 14 foot
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Elsie, there was a 28' Bigfoot for sale at the Lynden Vintage Trailer Rally two weekends ago. I didn't get the lady's name or number as I wasn't interested in buying but maybe there is someone out there who knows her?

That one has been listed in the F/G trailers for sale forum of this board for over a year. It is also on Craigslist, on Kijiji and other places as well.

I have seen it and been in it. It "lives" in Salmon Arm, BC
BCDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marinab View Post
Actually they had a buyer lined up at the meet but decided they didnt want to sell it after all. They are keeping it and doing some modifiations to it.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:25 PM   #17

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Check out the Scamp 19'. I think it's suppose to sleep 6.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #18

Trailer: Casita
Registry
OOPS! I just saw the comment about a 5th Wheel not working.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #19

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
As kids get older they dont want to sleep in the same room as Mom and Dad and most move outside into a tent anyway. And then the day comes that they say they dont want to come along anymore. At that point you can actually start to downsize. Gas is not getting any cheaper and smaller means less weight so better gas mileage.
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote