Summer Reading - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2006, 10:59 AM   #1

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Thumbs up

Granted, everyone's tastes in reading varies. Tastes also vary according to the season or location. For instance, people who only read highbrow stuff or non-fiction for most of the year will pick up a terrific trashy romance or action-adventure for their summer (camping) reading. I've even seen people with quilted book jacket covers that they use to..ahem...decorate (HIDE) their choice of reading material. For more of what qualifies as "summer reading," I'd recommend you pick up Patrick Mcmanus' short story on summer reading. In fact, my recmmendation for "books to pack in your small FG trailer" would include something by Patrick McManus. Most of his books are a collection of short stories or essays - all over-the-top hilarious and perfect if you end up being distracted by fishing, swimming, bears, skunks, or the occasional fire.

<span style="color:#993399"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">That said, I now pose the question to all readers: What do you consider perfect holiday trailer-travelling reading? Is there a book you'd recommend? Perhaps it's not books, but magazines, parts catalogues, refrigeration manuals,.....???</span></span>
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
I am not much of a reader but I do love the books by Nicholas Sparks. I always buy them and take them with me for my 'camping' reading... I have always enjoyed The Chicken Soup for the soul books too... If you want to read an excellent one is a true story of A Boy Called Dave.... ( I believe there is a series of 3 books) He was on Oprah one time... Such a tradgy of a small boy who came from abuse and who now is a very successful man...
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:41 AM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Granted, everyone's tastes in reading varies. Tastes also vary according to the season or location. For instance, people who only read highbrow stuff or non-fiction for most of the year will pick up a terrific trashy romance or action-adventure for their summer (camping) reading. I've even seen people with quilted book jacket covers that they use to..ahem...decorate (HIDE) their choice of reading material. For more of what qualifies as "summer reading," I'd recommend you pick up Patrick Mcmanus' short story on summer reading. In fact, my recmmendation for "books to pack in your small FG trailer" would include something by Patrick McManus. Most of his books are a collection of short stories or essays - all over-the-top hilarious and perfect if you end up being distracted by fishing, swimming, bears, skunks, or the occasional fire.

<span style="color:#993399"><span style="font-size:10pt;line-height:100%">That said, I now pose the question to all readers: What do you consider perfect holiday trailer-travelling reading? Is there a book you'd recommend? Perhaps it's not books, but magazines, parts catalogues, refrigeration manuals,.....???</span></span>

Patrick McManus.... I think I've read each and every book of his, including the cook book a dozen or more time. Great stuff.
Old 03-31-2006, 01:31 PM   #4

Trailer: 1986 23 ft Road Ranger
When I want light summer reading, I sometimes will read children's novels, both old and new. I have read Charlotte's Web, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants series, Harry Potter series, Judy Blume books, etc. They are very entertaining and easy to finish in a weekend of camping (Harry Potter and Sisterhood books take a little longer).

There are some heavier books out there that are great summer reading too. The Dave Pelzer series (A Child Called It, Lost Boy and A Man Called Dave) are wonderful books. I have also enjoyed books by Jennifer Weiner (chick books), James Patterson (murder mysteries) and John Grisham (legal novels).

I am always looking for a good book to read so will have to check out Patrick McManus.
Rick and Shannen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 01:53 PM   #5

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
When I have a desire to do some summer reading, I pick up a piece of wood and a knife. I start whittling until the desire goes away.

Some of my whittling can be seen here
Old 03-31-2006, 02:51 PM   #6

Trailer: Surfside TM14 1974
Registry
Quote:
When I have a desire to do some summer reading, I pick up a piece of wood and a knife. I start whittling until the desire goes away.

Some of my whittling can be seen here
I had a look at your HP. CHARMING! You should do a workshop or at the vety least give a demo at the Oregon meet. what a nice hobby!

- Miriam
Miriam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 08:38 PM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Is there a book you'd recommend? Perhaps it's not books, but magazines, parts catalogues, refrigeration manuals,.....???
What I'm reading now:
[b]"The Trouble With Testosterone"
"...and Other Essays on the Biology of the Human Predicament"
by Robert M. Sapolsky
author of:"Why Zebras Don't Get Ulcers"
Old 03-31-2006, 08:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 1978 Boler 13 ft
I am reading "A walk in the woods" by Bill Bryson.

If you like the outdoors and like to hike - I would highly recommend this book.

Bill Bryson takes a trip of a lifetime hiking the Appalachian Trail. Its funny, informative and a book that keeps you reading from one page to the next.
matt scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:25 PM   #9

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I've had a chuckle reading a couple of Christopher Moore's books. Fluke was fun as was Lamb. I'm about 1/3 of the way through Coyote Blue. Of the three I've read, I'd suggest Fluke to start with.

Anything by Terry Pratchett and his Discworld series is a hoot. No actual chapters as such but lots of places to put it down without losing the train of the story.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 11:20 PM   #10

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Years ago I read the book by Robert Ruark The Old Man and the Boy, I just picked it up again and it's still a good read. He wrote a lot of good stuff about 50 years ago and has pretty much been forgotten today. You might search out some of his other books. Poor No More would make a good summer read in the lawn chair under an awning while you listen to the chuckle of the stream nearby.
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #11

Trailer: 78 Scamp 13 ft
I'll read just about anything BUT for Romance Novels!! Or mystery novels that seem to go out of the way to create/imagine THE most grisely crimes in detail. (yuck)

I really enjoy Sci-Fi when it's good. Some fav ones are Stephen R. Donaldson- the "Real Story" series. Anything by CJ Cherryh, Tanith Lee. I adore those "best short story" or the novella collections. Some of the best stories in those. Connie Willis, Anne McCaffrey

For fiction- some of my favs are Fay Weldon, Margaret Atwood, Alice Hoffman. Amy Tan- Oh my how I love her books! I've read plenty of "Oprah's Picks" and found many of them very very worthwhile.

THE best place for me to buy books if I can't get them from the Library is places like Goodwill, Sal Army or Savers, etc. Great bargains! Huge selections, you'd be surprised.

Some recent extremely memorable books have been "The Life of Pi" by Yann Martell. READ IT!!!! And another was "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime" by
Mark Haddon... Don't miss this one!

Okay I'll stop now... but I have LOTS more....
Deb in MN is offline   Reply With Quote