Summertime Boondocking Help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 05-31-2018, 07:48 PM   #1

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
California
Summertime Boondocking Help

I ran across this article @ doityourselfrv.com which addresses some very important issues. It gives you a good list of summer specific hints to help enjoy your summer while boondocking. Many of you probably know about these but, if not, this is a great list to follow. Summer's a'comin'!
What To Pack For Boondocking, Dry Camping In The Summer
toolman45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 12:35 AM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Don't need to believe it.
I boondock most the time meaning off the grid.

1. Fan I carry a 12 volt fan I've used 3 time in over 1000 nights.
2. No awning, sun shade is a Paha Que that I've put about 3 times.
3. Ice packs, HUH?
4. Outdoor grill, more stuff you don't need.
5. Bambo sheets, You're camping no sheets, just a sleeping bag per person.
6. Bottled water. Once in a while the convenience of the bottle is nice to drink and refill.
7. Drying rack. Another not needed thing to carry along. A bush or tree, or picnic table works just fine.
Old 06-01-2018, 07:33 AM   #3
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by toolman45 View Post
I ran across this article @ doityourselfrv.com which addresses some very important issues. It gives you a good list of summer specific hints to help enjoy your summer while boondocking. Many of you probably know about these but, if not, this is a great list to follow. Summer's a'comin'!
What To Pack For Boondocking, Dry Camping In The Summer
Some good ideas for camping when it's hot outside. Thanks for the link, John.

The small, battery operated fan idea is something I'd never have considered. We have a 12v "Endless Breeze" that we can plug into our trailer's 12v sockets. It pulls a lot of air, however it does run on the house battery (same as the MaxxFan in the overhead vent). Having small fan(s) with a different power source isn't a bad idea.
Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:29 AM   #4

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Thanks for the link. We do all of these except the 12 v fan, but do have a small battery operated fan with rechargeable batteries. Also have a generator.

I take 2 or 3 stoves. Gas, electric (for sites w electric) and propane.

Always cook outside. only run microwave to reheat things.

Have fitted sheets and also have the RV superb with sheets inside.

Always have bottled water.

Camping is for tent people. We much prefer to glamp in our 17' Casita.

Thanks for the 12v "Endless Breeze" fan idea. Checked it out and may get one.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 10:38 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
The process of turning bamboo into fabric involves the use of harsh chemicals and is an environmental negative.
Old 06-01-2018, 12:00 PM   #6

Name: Henry
Trailer: BigFoot
Tennessee
Got this off the web. Bamboo mfg is negative but less so than other fabrics apparently:
The process of breaking down bamboo into a fibre suitable for making fabric does use caustic soda, which is a chemical also used in food production, and in the production of organic cotton. Caustic soda (aka Sodium hydroxide) is approved by the Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) and the UK Soil Association. Caustic soda does not remain as a residue on clothing as it easily washes away and can be neutralised to harmless and non-toxic sodium sulphate salt. The resulting liquid is contained in a “closed-loop” solvent spinning system – meaning it is recycled at 99.5% to make more bamboo cellulose instead of being leaked into waterways. This is probably the most environmental way of making bamboo fabric, as it also saves both energy and water.

This is mainly the plant-to-yarn stage of bamboo that requires the use of softening agents. Once made into fibers ready for spinning into threads, bamboo does not require much in the way of scouring, bleaching, shaping or cleaning. In fact, at the fiber point, most chemicals and steps in the cotton process would damage the viscose anyway.

Production of cotton on the other hand, both ‘regular’ and organic, requires several steps involving energy consumption to clean, size, soften, bleach, strengthen, smooth, and do other things to prepare it for use in a product. From cleaning agents to get rid of sticks, ginning machines to remove seeds, oxidizers to bleach away yellow-ness and gas flames to smooth out surface fibers, the process is hefty and much more harsh on the planet in terms of byproduct when compared to bamboo.

There is a way to make bamboo using machines and no chemicals, but that process is so costly and so labour intensive, there is hardly anyone using that technology today. But the good news is that technology progresses, and the bamboo manufacturing process is improving, so there is hope to keep rooting for the zero-chemical approach.
Rzrbrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 01:48 PM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzrbrn View Post
Got this off the web. Bamboo mfg is negative but less so than other fabrics apparently:
The process of breaking down bamboo into a fibre suitable for making fabric does use caustic soda, which is a chemical also used in food production, and in the production of organic cotton. Caustic soda (aka Sodium hydroxide) is approved by the Global Organic Textile Standards (GOTS) and the UK Soil Association. Caustic soda does not remain as a residue on clothing as it easily washes away and can be neutralised to harmless and non-toxic sodium sulphate salt. The resulting liquid is contained in a “closed-loop” solvent spinning system – meaning it is recycled at 99.5% to make more bamboo cellulose instead of being leaked into waterways. This is probably the most environmental way of making bamboo fabric, as it also saves both energy and water.

This is mainly the plant-to-yarn stage of bamboo that requires the use of softening agents. Once made into fibers ready for spinning into threads, bamboo does not require much in the way of scouring, bleaching, shaping or cleaning. In fact, at the fiber point, most chemicals and steps in the cotton process would damage the viscose anyway.

Production of cotton on the other hand, both ‘regular’ and organic, requires several steps involving energy consumption to clean, size, soften, bleach, strengthen, smooth, and do other things to prepare it for use in a product. From cleaning agents to get rid of sticks, ginning machines to remove seeds, oxidizers to bleach away yellow-ness and gas flames to smooth out surface fibers, the process is hefty and much more harsh on the planet in terms of byproduct when compared to bamboo.

There is a way to make bamboo using machines and no chemicals, but that process is so costly and so labour intensive, there is hardly anyone using that technology today. But the good news is that technology progresses, and the bamboo manufacturing process is improving, so there is hope to keep rooting for the zero-chemical approach.
Silk worms
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:42 PM   #8

Trailer: Bigfoot 21 ft Front Bedroom
In really hot weather try to boondock next to a good swimming hole.
Bruce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 03:51 PM   #9

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
In really hot weather try to boondock next to a good swimming hole.
Part of the art of boondocking is picking the right place. Summer go north and high, winter go south and low is a general rule.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #10

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
Part of the art of boondocking is picking the right place. Summer go north and high, winter go south and low is a general rule.
When do you East or West?

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #11

Trailer: Casita 16 ft
> When do you East or West?
Spring or Fall.

I'm in Texas, so we go to Colorado in the Summer, go around here the rest of the year.
Friz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 08:43 PM   #12

Name: Barb
Trailer: Escape 19
Newfoundland
Besides the environment issuee, bamboo fabric is not light - it's actually quite heavy. The coolest sheets are linen - you can sometimes find these at a reasonable price in stores that sell vintage fabrics.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 09:13 PM   #13

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
Yron It's good to know you haven't changed since Lynne & I first started reading FGRV almost 15 years ago.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:41 AM   #14

Trailer: 1990 Scamp 16 ft
I am considering this Ryobi fan (click here). I already carry the batteries for my electric drill that I use on my jacks. Its less than $45.00 on eBay. Downside its only 2 speed, not variable. Main reason for my dithering is that we seldom camp in warm weather. I have enough gadgets that are rarely used.
BATTERY OR AC: Works with the Ryobi One+ 18-volt battery system. Alternatively, plug in an extension cord to run the fan on AC power
HANG ANYWHERE: Back bracket, hanging hooks, and screw mounting holes are located below and behind this fan so you can keep it anywhere in your garage for a custom cooling experience
PIVOTING HEAD: can tilt up so you can have this blowing exactly where you need to
VARIABLE SPEED OPTIONS: Fully customize your cooling experience with a low and high setting. This is what freedom looks like
SOLD SEPARATELY: Extension cord, 18-volt battery, charger
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2018-06-07 at 7.35.55 AM.jpg  
John Linck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 10:57 AM   #15

Name: Loyd
Trailer: Escape
MN
Registry
I would think standard cotton sheets would be fine, but for those wanting an alternative material I suggest silk. Years ago when tent camping I bought a silk sleeping bag liner. In cooler weather I used it inside the bag, where it seemed to give increased warmth, but in hot weather I would sleep only in the liner on top of the sleeping bag; was very breathable and comfortable in the hottest weather.
Lmitc210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 11:08 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lmitc210 View Post
I would think standard cotton sheets would be fine, but for those wanting an alternative material I suggest silk. Years ago when tent camping I bought a silk sleeping bag liner. In cooler weather I used it inside the bag, where it seemed to give increased warmth, but in hot weather I would sleep only in the liner on top of the sleeping bag; was very breathable and comfortable in the hottest weather.
I do the same thing only the liner I use if fleece.

If it's too hot I simply connect and go someplace cooler.

Tags
boondocking