Suspicious sale - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2019, 07:17 AM   #1

Name: Andy
Trailer: Eventually
Ohio
Suspicious sale

If this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it.

I started communicating with a woman through Facebook Marketplace. I said I was interested in her posting, so we messaged, then emailed. Her latest email to me has my Spidey Senses tingling. I don't know if this is legit or a scam. She is selling a 17' 2010 casita freedom for $1400. The reason for selling it so cheap is because he hisband died a couple months ago, and it brings back bad memories for her, and she had to move, etc. At first, I thought maybe she left a 0 off the price.

My wife just sent me a link to what seems to be the same original posting, but in a different city.

Here is her latest email back to me.

Hello again,
As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Arvada, CO. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the camper. The trailer is here with me and will be transported directly to your home address and you will have it for 5 days to see how it's working. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name.
-shipping address.
-phone number.
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They need to verify all the documents and as soon as they approve the transaction will contact you to clarify how the entire transaction will be done. eBay will send you an invoice with transaction and payment instructions. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks,
atstepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:26 AM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by atstepchild View Post
If this is in the wrong place, please let me know and I will move it.

I started communicating with a woman through Facebook Marketplace. I said I was interested in her posting, so we messaged, then emailed. Her latest email to me has my Spidey Senses tingling. I don't know if this is legit or a scam. She is selling a 17' 2010 casita freedom for $1400. The reason for selling it so cheap is because he hisband died a couple months ago, and it brings back bad memories for her, and she had to move, etc. At first, I thought maybe she left a 0 off the price.

My wife just sent me a link to what seems to be the same original posting, but in a different city.

Here is her latest email back to me.

Hello again,
As I told you in my first email, got a new job and moved back to my hometown, Arvada, CO. Before leaving I had prearranged the deal with eBay so my presence isn't necessary. They won't give me any money until you receive and test the camper. The trailer is here with me and will be transported directly to your home address and you will have it for 5 days to see how it's working. So if you want to make this deal I need the following details from you:
-full name.
-shipping address.
-phone number.
Once I got all the details, I will forward them to eBay and they will proceed with the order. They need to verify all the documents and as soon as they approve the transaction will contact you to clarify how the entire transaction will be done. eBay will send you an invoice with transaction and payment instructions. Waiting for your email with the requested details.

Thanks,
It's a scam, do NOT give them your info! It's been a few years ago but that same ploy was used on vintage car sales.
Being listed in multiple cities is a big clue to a scam listing.

A good test to it being a scam is reply from a different email address than you have already used & tell them you are in the location where the camper is and that you want to look at it now. It's a safe bet you will not get a reply from them.
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #3

Name: Myron
Trailer: Escape
New Mexico
Registry
Ebay does not do any of the things that scammer says they do. Keep away.
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:42 AM   #4

Name: Andy
Trailer: Eventually
Ohio
Thank you. I had a feeling it was too good to be true, especially since it was about 10% of what its value should be.
atstepchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:03 AM   #5

Name: Steve
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16
North Carolina
craigslist is full of those types of ads also. Typically anything that should have a value of $10k+ (tractors, 4 wheelers, campers) they price @ $1501.00.

The picture they will post (usually only one) is one lifted from another ad listed somewhere else then they will overlay a gmail or hotmail address right on the picture. They will add a sad story & hope you feel the need to act quickly so you don't miss out on the great deal......and send a deposit to hold it.
Bye bye $$$$
SteveV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 08:52 AM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
People who think they can get something for nothing end up with nothing and a lighter wallet.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:03 AM   #7
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
The other day I got an email regarding a problem with my Wells Fargo account. To get the information required I type in my user name and password. But I don't have a Wells Fargo account. Used to be they used a gun. Now they use the internet.
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 09:05 AM   #8

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Scam
Run as fast as you can
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 10:54 AM   #9

Trailer: 2002 16 ft Scamp
Scam.

Got a call earlier this AM from Microsoft saying they were filing for bankruptcy on 2/15 and wanted to issue a credit for the software I'd recently purchased before the courts froze all their assets. They just needed my credit card number and CV code.
Al and Cindy K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:03 AM   #10

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
It's a scam run as fast as you can. Another popular one is someone claiming to be deployed to a war zone and they need the money to help pay the family's expenses. Then they want you to send money any which way. If it seems too good to be true it definitely is.
Steve Hammel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 05:12 AM   #11
JBB

Name: Jan
Trailer: 2017 Lil Snoozy
South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz View Post
The other day I got an email regarding a problem with my Wells Fargo account. To get the information required I type in my user name and password. But I don't have a Wells Fargo account. Used to be they used a gun. Now they use the internet.

I got the same email from Wells Fargo! I called them telling them about the email as well as not having an account with them! Forwarded the email to them per their instructions so they could try tracking it to the source! Definitely a lot of scams out there especially on Craig's List.
JBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #12

Name: To Infinity & Beyond!
Trailer: 1985 Uhaul VT-16 Vacationer, 1957 Avion R20 & 1977 Argosy 6.0 Minuet
Tennessee
I've got Ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

Let's make a deal!

Remember "Drive Fast, Turn Heads, Break Hearts"!
vintageracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:08 PM   #13

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Hey, I just found out I'm getting a $30 million inheritance from an unclaimed account from a person who wants to sneak it out of Nigeria before the authorities seize it. All I have to do is send a $300 processing fee by Western Union.

Sneaking an unclaimed inheritance out of a country would be illegal, so the person is asking you to participate in a crime. If he thinks it's okay to steal from the government, wouldn't he also be willing to steal from you?

Scams rely on greed. It may sound too good to be true, but some are blinded by their greed. Even intelligent people can be scammed. In fact I think intelligent people might be more prone to being scammed if they think they are too smart to be scammed.

My sister's father-in-law was the CEO of a large hospital before he retired. He certainly was a very intelligent person. He was scammed in a 419 scam out of well over a million dollars. His paid for home was lost, as well as his retirement nest egg. He and his wife ended up destitute.

If you want some enlightening reading about scams check out https://www.419eater.com/

Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:12 PM   #14

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageracer View Post
I've got Ocean front property for sale in Arizona.

Let's make a deal!
Sounds great! Just send me your bank checking account and routing number, credit card info, including the security code, and I'll send a deposit of $3 million dollars in each account. You can refund me any excess after we strike the deal.

I trust you, You can trust me.

Honest Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2019, 01:16 PM   #15

Name: Ronald
Trailer: Trillium 1979 13ft.
Ontario
Registry
scam

Run, run, run...........!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Butsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2019, 09:22 AM   #16

Name: John
Trailer: In the market
KY
Too Good To Be True

We encounter a similar situation about a year ago. The woman had a Cassida for sale at a very good price, but wouldn't let us inspect the trailer even though we were only 90 minutes away. She insisted that we make our payment utilizing Goggle Paid Cards.
While modern technology applications appear to be nice, we are very old fashion, and will only utilize try and true transactions methods.
Liteone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:10 AM   #17

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 13
Georgia
Not sure, but think it was Woody Guthrie who said something to the effect of "some rob you with a six-gun; others with a fountain pen."

"Life is like a roll of toilet paper; the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes." Andy Rooney
rjg433 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 09:26 AM   #18

Name: Alexander
Trailer: 1979 Boler B1300
New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liteone View Post
She insisted that we make our payment utilizing Goggle Paid Cards.
While modern technology applications appear to be nice, we are very old fashion, and will only utilize try and true transactions methods.
I remember when this same type of scam used to be done with Money Orders. The scam hasn't changed, just the technology used to perpetrate it.
Alex Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #19

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
The average bank robber that uses a gub gets $1500 and twenty years. Use a pen and it goes to $200,000 and 5 years.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2019, 01:58 PM   #20

Name: David
Trailer: Former 13’Scamp, now Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
The average bank robber that uses a gub gets $1500 and twenty years. Use a pen and it goes to $200,000 and 5 years.
Do we need to be stricter on “GUB” control?
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote