sway bar way heavy - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #1

Name: Terrie
Trailer: Casita
Texas
sway bar way heavy

well its new to me my little Casita and i drive a 1999 Infinity QX4 so I went to Master Hitch had them add a sway bar. When it was done it was a tongue added to my hitch and it weighed a lot more than the 40 lbs he said it did. I almost never got it unhitched. My sister who has owned a few travel trailers said it was WAY to big and to take it back and go to Camper World. Well when I went to pick it up I threw my back out. I am not a happy camper. I hope they will refund me for that "Monster Hitch" is this normal to be so big.?. I take my rv out for my 1st outing from Houston to Flordia for over a week. i want a good ride but if i cant pick it up and put it on it does nothing for me.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 AM   #2

Name: Bruce
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft RQ
Missouri
I'd say call them and see what they say. I wound up with an extra equalizer hitch last summer when I bought my trailer. The one that came with it was old and did not have a height adjustment. I had to buy one that did from camper world. I took a picture of the old one and put it on craigslist for $150. It was gone in 48 hours.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:35 AM   #3

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrie York View Post
well its new to me my little Casita and i drive a 1999 Infinity QX4 so I went to Master Hitch had them add a sway bar. When it was done it was a tongue added to my hitch and it weighed a lot more than the 40 lbs he said it did. I almost never got it unhitched. My sister who has owned a few travel trailers said it was WAY to big and to take it back and go to Camper World. Well when I went to pick it up I threw my back out. I am not a happy camper. I hope they will refund me for that "Monster Hitch" is this normal to be so big.?. I take my rv out for my 1st outing from Houston to Flordia for over a week. i want a good ride but if i cant pick it up and put it on it does nothing for me.
Sway bar is simply a 2 piece sliding bar. One end fits on a ball mounted on the trailer frame and the other end on a ball beside the hitch ball. Sway bar is maybe 10#, or so I'm thinking.

Did you also get the Weight distributing hitch with lift arms?

Kip
Old 04-05-2011, 02:09 PM   #4

Name: Adrian
Trailer: Lance 1985~'Casita de Campo' ~23' 4"~Dinette Slide Previously: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette, Front Bath
New Mexico
Seems to heavy to just be a sway bar to me as well.
Here is a pic of a sway bar: Sway Controls - Product - Camping World

If it looks something like this: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-hitches/7371 You have a Weight Distributing Hitch; not a sway bar.

This one might be somewhat lighter: http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-hitches/7370 But it still not a sway bar.

PS: one does not have to remove the entire sway bar to unhitch.....just the end connected to the tow vehicle.
Old 04-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #5

Name: Kip
Trailer: 2003 Casita 17' SD Deluxe, Towed by '09 Honda Ridgeline.
Georgia
This one came with my camper, and it is indeed heavier and more trouble than I care to deal with. http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...g-hitches/7370 .

When I met the seller he was using it on the back of a Honda Odessy. It was adjusted too high for my Honda Ridgeline, and due to time limitations and lack of tools I decided to use a tow bar that I carry with me. Just a simple bar with a ball. Towed the camper nearly 200 miles with absolutely "zero" problems and decided the WD Hitch, with sway bar was not needed. I've towed an additional 100+/- miles with the simple tow bar and still no problems perceived.

Just weighed them on the bathroom scale.

Sway bar= 10#
2 lift arms= 25#
Hitch = 40 #
Total weight of the WD hitch and components = 75#

Simple tow bar and ball = 8 1/2#. About the weight of a gallon of milk.

Disclaimer: I can't say that other folk's vehicle doesn't need a WD hitch. But our Ridgeline stays relatively level with the trailer hooked up. I've detected no sway even when 18 wheelers pass from either direction.
EXTREMELY heavy winds might be a different story. Will deal with that if it happens.

Proper weight distribution inside the trailer is important. We put the bottle jack, tools and other heavy stuff in the floor storage across from the stove, which places them next to the wheel well and over the street side axle. Anything else heavy goes in the storage compartment just forward of that, next to the bathroom wall. Trying to not put anything heavy on the curb side as the kitchen is possibly already causing that side to be heavier than the other. (Sure seems so when jacking it up.) Also heavy items of all types go on the floor to keep the center of gravity low.

I can't understand why Casita chooses to put the kitchen, the fresh water tank, and outside tool storage all on the same side. Then they block part of the outside storage door with the fresh water tank .But they must have their reasons.

Kip
Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 PM   #6

Name: Liz
Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler, 1987 & 1988 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
California
Registry
Terrie says "sway bar" and "tongue added to my hitch". Did she mean weigh distributing hitch? I am confused...

Old 04-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #7

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Woooow. I can carry the sway bar to my Scamp under my arm and still use the hand to carry a 12 pack of beverages and not tilt over. Doesn't sound like you've got a sway bar (alone) to me, but that heavy piece of iron.... weight distribution hitch.

How about posting a picture?

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote