Sway disaster... - Page 5 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-23-2015, 10:32 AM   #57

Name: Carol
Trailer: 22' Airstream Formerly 16' Scamp
British Columbia
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory Hilby View Post
Wait, Carol, earlier in this we were told that hitting the gas to pull a trailer out of a sway was a good idea. I don't have trailer brakes. (My axle won't take them. My trailer packed is 1,700 lbs.) But you say it's NOT a good idea.
Should I hit the gas to pull my trailer out of a sway or not? Sometimes I get swaying not from the setup's fault, but just from my stupid driving.
Well thats the problem with no brakes on a trailer - best way to stop sway is to apply brakes to trailer only.

There really is not a real good way to stop the sway without possible creating more issues - hitting the gas to increase speed MAY pull the trailer out of a sway situation but speed is also more often than not a cause of sway in the first place so it may help to go fast or it may not. If your going down hill when you hit the gas you may be sorry you did. Putting brakes on hard on the tug is also a pretty good way to create a way bigger problem - tapping them lightly is something some folks do and seem to think it works for them .... its kind of one of those things that can either go ok or not so ok....

Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:34 PM   #58

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Well thats the problem with no brakes on a trailer - best way to stop sway is to apply brakes to trailer only.

There really is not a real good way to stop the sway without possible creating more issues - hitting the gas to increase speed MAY pull the trailer out of a sway situation but speed is also more often than not a cause of sway in the first place so it may help to go fast or it may not. If your going down hill when you hit the gas you may be sorry you did. Putting brakes on hard on the tug is also a pretty good way to create a way bigger problem - tapping them lightly is something some folks do and seem to think it works for them .... its kind of one of those things that can either go ok or not so ok....
Yes and NO.... If you get into a sway position without trailer brakes you're options are very limited. The dynamics of towing require that there be tension between the tug and the trailer. In the case I observed at beginning of this thread the rig was going down a small hill. Options.
1. No braking... Results in the ditch possibly upside down. No possibility of regaining control.
2. Any Braking... Results in the ditch possibly upside down. No possibility of regaining control.
3. Accelerating... A chance of regaining control.

Without accelerating when there is no brakes you're not going to regain control.

Even with trailer brakes braking the tug could also result is the ditch. Applying the trailer brakes alone will create the necessary tension to put the trailer back behind the tug.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:38 PM   #59

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Escape 19 and Escape 15B
Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
WDH hitches are not NOT recommend for light fiberglass trailers...
I guess the fine folks at Escape Trailer Industries need to be informed of this, as they may want to change their practice of selling WDH hitches to their lightweight fiberglass trailer customers. It has been two years since they sold me my WDH with my new Escape. Maybe they will take it back.

"You've got to be very careful if you don't know where you are going, because you might not get there." - Yogi Berra
Ice-breaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:40 PM   #60

Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
I'll relate another story that happened to me that makes me a firm believer of trailer brakes. In Los Vegas, on I-215 north bound, there's a slight hill with curve as it goes over the top. Blind, you can't see very far in front of you at that point. At that point all traffic in front of me had stopped for some reason. No choice but brake as hard as I could. I glanced in the side mirror towards the outside of the curve, there's my trailer trying pass me. Still no choice but the keep braking hard. I figured that my trailer would be gone. When stopped I looked in the center mirror and there was the trailer right where I wanted. If feel certain that without the brakes and good controller I would have lost the trailer.
Old 04-23-2015, 02:10 PM   #61

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
You might want to look at this. Ignore the ad, look at Tuscon sway control.

Here is the AL-KO unit:

Of course the Rest Of the World use lots of surge type brakes and to a large extent they are mechanical cable!
The big European rigs have CanBus communications with the trailer stability systems with onboard breaking for the trailer and TV.
Old 04-23-2015, 03:27 PM   #62
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Nest fan, Airstream Sold
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Good stuff rb. It is great to see all this technology being developed. When they play at the limits they learn how to make the rigs safer with less sway and accidents. Lets face it. Crap rarely happens on a nice sunny day driving down the road in a straight line.

My hat goes of to all of those who are out there on the test tracks learning and looking for a better mouse trap. We all benefit.
Attached Thumbnails
sway 006.jpg   sway t -reg porsche por IMG_1821ee.jpg  

sway intrepid air IMG_4088.JPG  
Old 04-23-2015, 05:08 PM   #63

Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post

Here is the AL-KO unit:

Of course the Rest Of the World use lots of surge type brakes and to a large extent they are mechanical cable!
The big European rigs have CanBus communications with the trailer stability systems with onboard breaking for the trailer and TV.

Very funny. It's obvious with in just a few seconds that this badly staged. Like I've said before if you do you home work and make the trailer stable and safe anti-sway isn't necessary. It's only necessary to mask a real problem.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #64

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'll relate another story that happened to me that makes me a firm believer of trailer brakes. In Los Vegas, on I-215 north bound, there's a slight hill with curve as it goes over the top. Blind, you can't see very far in front of you at that point. At that point all traffic in front of me had stopped for some reason. No choice but brake as hard as I could. I glanced in the side mirror towards the outside of the curve, there's my trailer trying pass me. Still no choice but the keep braking hard. I figured that my trailer would be gone. When stopped I looked in the center mirror and there was the trailer right where I wanted. If feel certain that without the brakes and good controller I would have lost the trailer.
Byron,

I always mention that we have an anti-sway bar for emergencies. Your situation may have been one where an anti-sway bar may have helped prevent your trailer trying to pass you.

We've had an emergency stop situation towing at speed where someone just pulled across the road blocking our way, full stop, smoking tires and all, and the trailer never budged from a straight line. It's for those emergencies that we have an anti-sway bar. It may not solve everything but it's in the right direction when you're in trouble.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:59 PM   #65

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yep. Driving out of control for the load he was towing endangering everyone else on the road. Just like the majority of 18 wheel drivers who seem to think that the interstate speed limits are for non-commercial drivers because they obviously can stop their 80,000 pound loads on a dime, even when going 10 or 15 mph over the limit or on wet, slick roads. Sorry, my pet peeve. Skeeter is the poster child for all the irresponsible idiots who for some reason were granted licenses to operate a motor vehicle.
Now now, give us old semi retired truck drivers a little respect, we are not all Skeeters.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:01 AM   #66

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you look at the Tuscon video you will see that they went to some effort to induce sway by putting 1/2 full totes in the trailer and balancing very incorrectly. The point is that the system brakes the trailer on the correct side to counteract the sway. This works better than the stabilization program for the truck alone.
If the cars and trucks had trailer brake signals for left and right separately then the vehicle's stability system could do this job.
Failing in that the accelerometers in the trailer control unit detect sway and activate brakes as necessary. This could be incorporated into the Tek wireless unit (for extra cost) since it has the basic electronics (accelerometers) to control braking level to match the car now.
This would be a great add-on for safety if it were engineered and offered.
Old 04-24-2015, 08:47 AM   #67

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Many thanks for your definition of Skeeter - Skeeter is the poster child for all the irresponsible idiots who for some reason were granted licenses to operate a motor vehicle. I like that definition allot. It also applies to Boat drivers.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:16 AM   #68

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
I have to agree with Stan, I haven't met a semi truck driver yet that I call Skeeter. The Skeeters that I see are driving a pickemuptruck that cost less than their blue tick hunting dog and the pickemuptruck cost more than the trailer they live in. The baseball hat that is turned around backwards on their head has a fishing hook on the bill and that have stickers on the rear window of their truck, some are flags and others are offensive to just about everyone. There appears to be no muffler on their vehicle and they don't know that because of the volume of the radio blasting "A long neck beer and a plate of retried dreams, Are driving to gast without caring for anyone else on the road, u employed and not looking for a job. No body in their right mind would put them behind the wheel of a Semi Truck / Trailer on our highways.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:38 AM   #69

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 77 Scamp 13
Michigan
I have seen a lot more late model high end SUV's and cars than commercial trucks being driven by people that apparently got their license to drive in a cracker jack box.

I do a 25 mile commute now and the only semi I have seen in the ditch in the last 10 years was blown there by a tornado while parked on the shoulder of the road. Can't even count the hours I have spent in traffic jams involving cars in more hurry than the road conditions would support or who figured 6 inches of clearance at 80 mph meant plenty of room to move over.

In the interest of full disclosure I also drove commercial trucks for about 20 years. Not that many careless drivers, simply put the companies insurance wanted nothing to do with people that could not keep it between the lines and greasy side down, shiny side up and no small cars caught in the grill work.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:21 AM   #70

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Without calling names, it's revealing to drive through Delaware. In Delaware people convicted of drunk driving get a black licence plate with white lettering. I like the concept, it serves as a reminder to all and an indicator to the police. There really are a lot of them.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

« Another pet peeve | Thinking About Summer - Egg Rally in Alberta »