Sway disaster... - Page 6 - Fiberglass RV

Old 04-24-2015, 11:29 AM   #71

Name: Darwin
Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Skeeter also drives 4 wheel drive vehicles too and here in Virginia they know they can start out quicker in the snow covered roads than a 2WD but haven't figured out they can't stop any quicker thus, they pass us going way to fast on the slick roads and you guessed it, they wind up in the ditch down the road. This is not a rare event, I see dozens each year. I don't see the professional drivers of the Semi variety in the ditch. Their livelihood depends on their safety and they take that seriously - Also, My nephew drives one with a governor and a satellite connection so the home office monitors his driving record.

Old 04-24-2015, 12:52 PM   #72

Name: Kamala
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Last year, we were on our way home, driving about 55 to 60 mph (our usual) just out of Van Horn, TX- a little hilly area. We had a Casita sighting--but it was in a bad way. The driver was really speeding down the road and the Casita, probably a 16ft. was swaying right and left. We cringed and watched. Nothing happened and we didn't see her turned over on the way home, but boy! it was frightening. There was no way she didn't know her trailer was swaying so hard.

Now I have a question. We just changed TVs. We had a 2012 Dodge Caravan which pulled beautifully but the miles were adding up and since we are going to go to Alaska this summer, we decided to buy a new TV. We had to use the WDH on the Caravan. Our new TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 with GVWR upgraded to 6900 lbs. We then had 3-inch lift kit added to the Casita. Owners manual says (even without the upgrade) that the WDH is optional for our size of trailer (< 7000 lbs). When we hitch up the trailer, the truck doesn't seem to move. We've always seen the WDH as a precaution but are now wondering if we really need it.

Old 04-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #73

I would take it on a 100 mile drive to test it out.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:06 PM   #74

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I would take it on a 100 mile drive to test it out.
We took it on a 1500 mile run, but with the wdh. We really had to work all the angles at getting the wdh to have any tension.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #75

Name: Byron
Trailer: 2006 Scamp 13' towed with a 2005 Dodge Dakota 4.7l Magnum W/full tow package (over kill)
Oregon
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Byron,

I always mention that we have an anti-sway bar for emergencies. Your situation may have been one where an anti-sway bar may have helped prevent your trailer trying to pass you.

We've had an emergency stop situation towing at speed where someone just pulled across the road blocking our way, full stop, smoking tires and all, and the trailer never budged from a straight line. It's for those emergencies that we have an anti-sway bar. It may not solve everything but it's in the right direction when you're in trouble.
Possibly. But, once the trailer started to move to the side an anti-sway bar would have impeded the trailer trying to get back behind the tow. This was on a curve so the trailer and tow were not in a straight line.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:12 PM   #76

Try it without the WDH.
Old 04-24-2015, 01:35 PM   #77

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalamak View Post
Last year, we were on our way home, driving about 55 to 60 mph (our usual) just out of Van Horn, TX- a little hilly area. We had a Casita sighting--but it was in a bad way. The driver was really speeding down the road and the Casita, probably a 16ft. was swaying right and left. We cringed and watched. Nothing happened and we didn't see her turned over on the way home, but boy! it was frightening. There was no way she didn't know her trailer was swaying so hard.

Now I have a question. We just changed TVs. We had a 2012 Dodge Caravan which pulled beautifully but the miles were adding up and since we are going to go to Alaska this summer, we decided to buy a new TV. We had to use the WDH on the Caravan. Our new TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 with GVWR upgraded to 6900 lbs. We then had 3-inch lift kit added to the Casita. Owners manual says (even without the upgrade) that the WDH is optional for our size of trailer (< 7000 lbs). When we hitch up the trailer, the truck doesn't seem to move. We've always seen the WDH as a precaution but are now wondering if we really need it.
Van Horn... We've stayed their. John Madden's favorite Mexican restuarant is there. Amazon's rocket company Blue Horizon has their launch pad in Van Horn.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 01:42 PM   #78

Just maybe you might want to try a Hensley hitch.
Old 04-24-2015, 06:34 PM   #79

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, Tacoma 4.0L 4door, SB
ex VT, now CO
All these things - WDH, sway bars, active control systems, Hensley, etc - introduce a variety of trade-offs. If I had to, I would be most interested in the Hensley and start my research there, I think.
Old 04-24-2015, 10:24 PM   #80

Texas
I miss the "like" button. Thanks for your replies, Darwin Maring, Norm and Ginny, and Paul. Our launch date is set for May 3rd, so I guess we'll go with what we got. The Hensley hitch looks really interesting. --Kamala
Old 04-24-2015, 11:33 PM   #81

Name: Russ
Trailer: Scamp 16' side dinette, Airstream Safari 19'
California
A new Silverado 1500 is a pretty serious tow vehicle that would be unfazed by a lil Casita needing only about 300 pounds on the tongue. Headlights are probably still aimed! (you should check though) If you are loading the Casita properly and your trailer brakes are adjusted you would need no sway control. A simple friction anti sway device could be insurance, but not necessary.
Russ
Old 04-24-2015, 11:53 PM   #82

Texas
Cool, Russ! Gives us confidence.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:37 AM   #83

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Kamala and Charley,

You should have no trouble towing your Casita, we towed a Casita 16 with a 4 cylinder CRV for a year and it towed beautifully. Sounds like you have a Casita 17, a little heavier but the same shape with a bigger tow vehicle. I'd be shocked if you ever see sway, I have never with any of our fiberglass trailers and we ran a very light tongue weight. As many have said the way to correct sway should it happen is to use the lever on your controller to apply just trailer brakes. I test for this every travel day but have never had to use it.

Enjoy your trip to Alaska, the ride up is as good as Alaska, particularly the Yukon. If I haven't said it yet, be sure to by the Milepost book before you leave. It's the best guide I've ever found to anywhere.

The road to Alaska is not too bad except for the construction zones, just take it easy. We found you could not cover long distances once you got to Alaska, it's not like driving the Interstates, besides who wants to. we found us forever pulling over just to look.

As you said, Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting, "Holy Sh**, what a ride!"

We've been traveling for long stretches for 15 years. I often say that if I were to die today it would be OK, our last 15 years have been wonderful, beyond anything I could ever imagine. We are leading the carefree life of children on a summer day. I never suspected how wonderful our lives would be on the road, as Ginny says "we're blessed".

We hope to be able to travel for 10 more years, probably at a slower pace but together sharing the adventure of the road. Wishing you the very best trip possible. By the way Kalama is an interesting name.

Safe and joyous travel.

Kamala - lotus or perfection and integrity depending on the language..nice.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:35 AM   #84

Texas
Wow! Norm and Ginny, nice, really nice. I feel all warm and fuzzy. This is a nice community May you have tailwinds and smooth roads in your future travels.--Kamala