Sway disaster... - Page 4 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-23-2015, 01:10 PM   #61

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
You might want to look at this. Ignore the ad, look at Tuscon sway control.

Here is the AL-KO unit:

Of course the Rest Of the World use lots of surge type brakes and to a large extent they are mechanical cable!
The big European rigs have CanBus communications with the trailer stability systems with onboard breaking for the trailer and TV.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:27 PM   #62
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post
Good stuff rb. It is great to see all this technology being developed. When they play at the limits they learn how to make the rigs safer with less sway and accidents. Lets face it. Crap rarely happens on a nice sunny day driving down the road in a straight line.

My hat goes of to all of those who are out there on the test tracks learning and looking for a better mouse trap. We all benefit.
Attached Thumbnails
sway 006.jpg   sway t -reg porsche por IMG_1821ee.jpg  

sway intrepid air IMG_4088.JPG  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 04:08 PM   #63

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by redbarron55 View Post

Here is the AL-KO unit:

Of course the Rest Of the World use lots of surge type brakes and to a large extent they are mechanical cable!
The big European rigs have CanBus communications with the trailer stability systems with onboard breaking for the trailer and TV.

Very funny. It's obvious with in just a few seconds that this badly staged. Like I've said before if you do you home work and make the trailer stable and safe anti-sway isn't necessary. It's only necessary to mask a real problem.
Old 04-23-2015, 04:36 PM   #64

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Kinnaman View Post
I'll relate another story that happened to me that makes me a firm believer of trailer brakes. In Los Vegas, on I-215 north bound, there's a slight hill with curve as it goes over the top. Blind, you can't see very far in front of you at that point. At that point all traffic in front of me had stopped for some reason. No choice but brake as hard as I could. I glanced in the side mirror towards the outside of the curve, there's my trailer trying pass me. Still no choice but the keep braking hard. I figured that my trailer would be gone. When stopped I looked in the center mirror and there was the trailer right where I wanted. If feel certain that without the brakes and good controller I would have lost the trailer.
Byron,

I always mention that we have an anti-sway bar for emergencies. Your situation may have been one where an anti-sway bar may have helped prevent your trailer trying to pass you.

We've had an emergency stop situation towing at speed where someone just pulled across the road blocking our way, full stop, smoking tires and all, and the trailer never budged from a straight line. It's for those emergencies that we have an anti-sway bar. It may not solve everything but it's in the right direction when you're in trouble.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #65

Name: Stan
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II Hull #63
Virginia
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
Yep. Driving out of control for the load he was towing endangering everyone else on the road. Just like the majority of 18 wheel drivers who seem to think that the interstate speed limits are for non-commercial drivers because they obviously can stop their 80,000 pound loads on a dime, even when going 10 or 15 mph over the limit or on wet, slick roads. Sorry, my pet peeve. Skeeter is the poster child for all the irresponsible idiots who for some reason were granted licenses to operate a motor vehicle.
Now now, give us old semi retired truck drivers a little respect, we are not all Skeeters.
Stan and Carol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #66

Name: JD
Trailer: Scamp 16 Modified (BIGLY)
Florida
If you look at the Tuscon video you will see that they went to some effort to induce sway by putting 1/2 full totes in the trailer and balancing very incorrectly. The point is that the system brakes the trailer on the correct side to counteract the sway. This works better than the stabilization program for the truck alone.
If the cars and trucks had trailer brake signals for left and right separately then the vehicle's stability system could do this job.
Failing in that the accelerometers in the trailer control unit detect sway and activate brakes as necessary. This could be incorporated into the Tek wireless unit (for extra cost) since it has the basic electronics (accelerometers) to control braking level to match the car now.
This would be a great add-on for safety if it were engineered and offered.
redbarron55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 07:47 AM   #67

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Many thanks for your definition of Skeeter - Skeeter is the poster child for all the irresponsible idiots who for some reason were granted licenses to operate a motor vehicle. I like that definition allot. It also applies to Boat drivers.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 08:16 AM   #68

I have to agree with Stan, I haven't met a semi truck driver yet that I call Skeeter. The Skeeters that I see are driving a pickemuptruck that cost less than their blue tick hunting dog and the pickemuptruck cost more than the trailer they live in. The baseball hat that is turned around backwards on their head has a fishing hook on the bill and that have stickers on the rear window of their truck, some are flags and others are offensive to just about everyone. There appears to be no muffler on their vehicle and they don't know that because of the volume of the radio blasting "A long neck beer and a plate of retried dreams, Are driving to gast without caring for anyone else on the road, u employed and not looking for a job. No body in their right mind would put them behind the wheel of a Semi Truck / Trailer on our highways.
Old 04-24-2015, 09:38 AM   #69

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
I have seen a lot more late model high end SUV's and cars than commercial trucks being driven by people that apparently got their license to drive in a cracker jack box.

I do a 25 mile commute now and the only semi I have seen in the ditch in the last 10 years was blown there by a tornado while parked on the shoulder of the road. Can't even count the hours I have spent in traffic jams involving cars in more hurry than the road conditions would support or who figured 6 inches of clearance at 80 mph meant plenty of room to move over.

In the interest of full disclosure I also drove commercial trucks for about 20 years. Not that many careless drivers, simply put the companies insurance wanted nothing to do with people that could not keep it between the lines and greasy side down, shiny side up and no small cars caught in the grill work.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 10:21 AM   #70

Florida
Without calling names, it's revealing to drive through Delaware. In Delaware people convicted of drunk driving get a black licence plate with white lettering. I like the concept, it serves as a reminder to all and an indicator to the police. There really are a lot of them.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-24-2015, 10:29 AM   #71

Skeeter also drives 4 wheel drive vehicles too and here in Virginia they know they can start out quicker in the snow covered roads than a 2WD but haven't figured out they can't stop any quicker thus, they pass us going way to fast on the slick roads and you guessed it, they wind up in the ditch down the road. This is not a rare event, I see dozens each year. I don't see the professional drivers of the Semi variety in the ditch. Their livelihood depends on their safety and they take that seriously - Also, My nephew drives one with a governor and a satellite connection so the home office monitors his driving record.
Old 04-24-2015, 11:52 AM   #72

Name: Kamala
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Last year, we were on our way home, driving about 55 to 60 mph (our usual) just out of Van Horn, TX- a little hilly area. We had a Casita sighting--but it was in a bad way. The driver was really speeding down the road and the Casita, probably a 16ft. was swaying right and left. We cringed and watched. Nothing happened and we didn't see her turned over on the way home, but boy! it was frightening. There was no way she didn't know her trailer was swaying so hard.

Now I have a question. We just changed TVs. We had a 2012 Dodge Caravan which pulled beautifully but the miles were adding up and since we are going to go to Alaska this summer, we decided to buy a new TV. We had to use the WDH on the Caravan. Our new TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 with GVWR upgraded to 6900 lbs. We then had 3-inch lift kit added to the Casita. Owners manual says (even without the upgrade) that the WDH is optional for our size of trailer (< 7000 lbs). When we hitch up the trailer, the truck doesn't seem to move. We've always seen the WDH as a precaution but are now wondering if we really need it.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:02 PM   #73

I would take it on a 100 mile drive to test it out.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #74

Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin Maring View Post
I would take it on a 100 mile drive to test it out.
We took it on a 1500 mile run, but with the wdh. We really had to work all the angles at getting the wdh to have any tension.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:07 PM   #75

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by honda03842 View Post
Byron,

I always mention that we have an anti-sway bar for emergencies. Your situation may have been one where an anti-sway bar may have helped prevent your trailer trying to pass you.

We've had an emergency stop situation towing at speed where someone just pulled across the road blocking our way, full stop, smoking tires and all, and the trailer never budged from a straight line. It's for those emergencies that we have an anti-sway bar. It may not solve everything but it's in the right direction when you're in trouble.
Possibly. But, once the trailer started to move to the side an anti-sway bar would have impeded the trailer trying to get back behind the tow. This was on a curve so the trailer and tow were not in a straight line.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:12 PM   #76

Try it without the WDH.
Old 04-24-2015, 12:35 PM   #77

Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamalamak View Post
Last year, we were on our way home, driving about 55 to 60 mph (our usual) just out of Van Horn, TX- a little hilly area. We had a Casita sighting--but it was in a bad way. The driver was really speeding down the road and the Casita, probably a 16ft. was swaying right and left. We cringed and watched. Nothing happened and we didn't see her turned over on the way home, but boy! it was frightening. There was no way she didn't know her trailer was swaying so hard.

Now I have a question. We just changed TVs. We had a 2012 Dodge Caravan which pulled beautifully but the miles were adding up and since we are going to go to Alaska this summer, we decided to buy a new TV. We had to use the WDH on the Caravan. Our new TV is a 2015 Silverado 1500 with GVWR upgraded to 6900 lbs. We then had 3-inch lift kit added to the Casita. Owners manual says (even without the upgrade) that the WDH is optional for our size of trailer (< 7000 lbs). When we hitch up the trailer, the truck doesn't seem to move. We've always seen the WDH as a precaution but are now wondering if we really need it.
Van Horn... We've stayed their. John Madden's favorite Mexican restuarant is there. Amazon's rocket company Blue Horizon has their launch pad in Van Horn.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
Old 04-24-2015, 12:42 PM   #78

Just maybe you might want to try a Hensley hitch.
Old 04-24-2015, 05:34 PM   #79

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
All these things - WDH, sway bars, active control systems, Hensley, etc - introduce a variety of trade-offs. If I had to, I would be most interested in the Hensley and start my research there, I think.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 PM   #80

Texas
I miss the "like" button. Thanks for your replies, Darwin Maring, Norm and Ginny, and Paul. Our launch date is set for May 3rd, so I guess we'll go with what we got. The Hensley hitch looks really interesting. --Kamala

« Another pet peeve | Thinking About Summer - Egg Rally in Alberta »