Switched To Paperless Without Our Knowledge - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Fiberglass RV Community Forums > General Chat
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 08-07-2013, 01:05 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Switched To Paperless Without Our Knowledge

We have our vehicles and pop-up insured under a Good Sam Policy. I wanted to bring this to anyone's attention that might have insurance with them because it was time for our 6-month invoice to arrive and it didn't. We could have totally forgotten about it. As it turns out, they switched, make that claim they switched to National General as their name but their booklets carried that name for years now. We got a notification saying that and I emailed them as to where our invoice was. They did not answer. As it turns out, they claim to have emailed the policy/invoice but we didn't get it and said that WE switched to "paperless" which WE did not. At another forum, I went to post this and found that others are having the same problem. So, if you have this insurance, mark it on the calendar when you want to pay your bill. Many have claimed that their premiums went up but ours did not and we have had the insurance for 10+ years so get the biggest discounts. Sometimes I don't know how I will ever keep up with this technology that is making everything easier for us.
Cathy P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 02:05 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: 93 Burro 17 ft
Oklahoma
Oooh! Thanks for the heads up. Mine won't be due to renew until December... I hope I remember this.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 PM   #3

Name: Gage
Trailer: 13' Burro
California
I'm receiving paper bills with no problem as yet. Although they do keep asking me to go paperless. I'll keep a close watch. Thank you.
gage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:13 PM   #4

Name: Jared
Trailer: 1984 19' scamp
Kansas
I'm surprised people are using it, I called and thought it was worthless. The only way I could see it possibly working was with a brand new RV.
Jared J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared J View Post
I'm surprised people are using it, I called and thought it was worthless. The only way I could see it possibly working was with a brand new RV.
I think you answered your own question. The OP's trailer is only 2 years old; it qualifies as brand new in my book. Those of us who own "vintage" units over 10 years old may place a different value on insuring them for anything other than liability.

Different strokes for different folks. Your mileage may vary.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:25 PM   #6

Kansas
Agreed, but a burro sure isn't. I'm wondering if there's a disparity between the coverage I was told, and the coverage other people were told/given?
Old 08-07-2013, 06:11 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
One good thing for an older trailer is they cover $3K of your stuff in the trailer. Computers, generators, cameras, fishing and hunting stuff it all adds up. For a newer trailer for about $50 or so extra a year you get full replacement cost of your trailer up to 5 years old. If you total a 2008 trailer they will buy you a new 2013 trailer or so they say.
Eddie
Eddie Longest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 06:21 PM   #8

Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddie Longest View Post
One good thing for an older trailer is they cover $3K of your stuff in the trailer. Computers, generators, cameras, fishing and hunting stuff it all adds up. For a newer trailer for about $50 or so extra a year you get full replacement cost of your trailer up to 5 years old. If you total a 2008 trailer they will buy you a new 2013 trailer or so they say.
Eddie
Yeah, that part made sense. It's the value once it gets older. I never asked if there was contents coverage, I'll have to see if the appraised policy or my homeowners would cover it.

For what it's worth, American Family only booked my '84 fifth wheel at $1500 or something, but gave me the number of an appraiser, and had no problem appraising it at whatever he said. Whenever I get it done, we'll see what he appraises it at.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:52 AM   #9

I had posted this on another forum directly linked to Good Sam and one of the higher ups that monitor the forum and is affiliated with the company is looking into the issue.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:14 AM   #10

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe 2007
We remember ours, because it is the same date we picked our Casita up at the factory. We insured it when we got there before driving away. The one aspect that is nice, is that for the first 5 years they pay replacement cost and after that, if you do not let it lapse, they pay what you originally paid for the unit, no matter how long it has been. terry r.
Terry R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #11

Well, customer service called and said that they have a recorded conversation with my husband where he agreed to paperless. He had called them because he could not get into the website to pay the bill. He said that he thought they were just giving him access to be able to pay the bill online. I also learned that they changed the policy numbers when they started using new software, probably the reason we couldn't get into our account with the policy number. She said they sent an email confirming the paperless change and I did not see that and my husband NEVER cleans out the email box, ever so I have to weed through it. And, we still did not receive a paperless bill either but they claim to have the bugs worked out with the new software.

I do get tired of all of those you have to check a box to opt out or you are in. It causes so much junk mail.

Once, we decided with all the Good Sam junk mail that we would opt out. Then, they didn't send us the renewal for our club membership so the membership lapsed without us realizing it. When I called, they said when we stopped the junk mail, that would include the bills for club membership.

If anything becomes a hassle, it gets the ax because life is too short!